Now Anaconda !!!! JT Cycles - Spesh P2 Titanium for $999

MichaelB

Now Anaconda !!!! JT Cycles - Spesh P2 Titanium for $999

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:53 am

Hiya,

Yep, another of those, "What do you think of this one ?"......

Well, I'm a committed roadie, but have been hankering to do some occasional off road stuff with mates, but can't spare the $2k + to get a speccy bike.

Whilst watching the Isle of ma TT last night, JT Cycles had an ad showing all sorts of specials, and one of them being the Specialized P2 Titanium for $999 (RRP of $1999), so my curiosity was aroused.

Those with the knowledge, are the specs such that it is worth the $999 tag , or is it just being value at that price.

Spec P2 Titanium

Basic specs :

A1 Premium Alloy Frame (hardtail)
Marzocchi DJ2 forks
SRAM X5 RD
Fuse tubular CrMo 3 piece cranks
26" x 2.3 dual compound tyres
Avid Juicy 3 Hyd discs (160mm fr and 140mm Rr)

For an occasional off road basher, is this value, or is a dual suspension better, and just save more money to get a better bike ?
Cheerss

Michael B
Last edited by MichaelB on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MountGower

Re: JT Cycles - Spesh P2 Titanium for $999

Postby MountGower » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:31 am

Michael

This is a dirt jump, skate park bike. You should look at a cross country bike. Giant XTC, Merida, Avanti etc.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:03 am

For c.$1000 you could also look at the Hasa bikes. Been very happy with mine for mucking about on the single track.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:11 am

Cheers guys.

Looks like I'll save my money for a bit longer !!!

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:27 am

Goldcross have some amazing deals going, but i would be checking them out asap. The good stuff must be going or gone already.

I know others disagree, but i appreciate good stuff off road more than in a road bike. You won't regret getting a good spec bike. Cheap disk brakes and forks aren't much fun, and with the sales on now the good stuff is attainable

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:41 am

Cheers Alistair. Don't have Goldcross in Adelaide, and didn't really have the $1k either, but with the 5 sec ad on TV, seemed like a potential deal.

Oh well, standby to standby

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 pm

That is fair enough. Have a look in the for sale section over on rotorburn. With that budget i would definately go second hand - while it can be dangerous, i think it is worth it as the new offerings aren't brilliant for $1000. The upgrade bug is so strong that many won't have seen much hard use either

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Agree that bike is a DJ bike and not really appropriate or or even comfortable for what you would want to do.

Duallies are definitely better from a comfort point of view, and enable you to do longer rides without having as much beaten out of you. :wink:

Expect to pay around $2k for something decent second hand with full suspension.

My tip would be to borrow a mates mountain bike and work out what the horizontal top tube length (HTT) is that you like, and go from there. Leave a little in the kitty for changing stems, bars, seat and seatpost to suit your preference. Unfortunately HTT is about the only dimension that is comparable between brands that is a reliable guide to frame size.

If you have a road bike that is comfortable for you, perhaps someone here might be able to advise what kind of relationship there is between what works on a roadie compared to what that same rider would choose on a XC mtb for horizontal top tube length.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks for the informed feedback trailgumby, wise indeed.

However, the plot has thickened somewhat. :o

Was in Anaconda the other day getting a decent waterproof jacket for the missus and wandered over to their bike section. Lo and behold, it's all 50% off. :shock:

Now, for what I want to do and how much I want to do it, this means that there are several bikes that are well within range and have useful specs. Here is a quick summary :

Fluid Nitro : Was $1400, now $699 : Alloy frame, Fr susp, Tektro hyd discs and Deore LX (27sp)

Fluid Rhythm : Was $1800, now $899 : Alloy frame, Fr susp (Rox Shock Tora), Shimano hyd discs and Shadow XT (27sp) & clipless pedals

Fluid Motion : Was $2300, now $1150 : Alloy frame, Fr susp (Rox Shock Tora Air), Shimano hyd discs and Shimano SLX (27sp), 'lightweight wheels' & clipless pedals

Fluid Rapid : Was $1499, now $750 : Alloy frame, Fr & Rr susp (Fr & Rr lockout), Tektro hyd discs and Shimano Alivio (24sp) & Truvativ cranks

Given that these are the '09 models, and I'm realistically only a part time off roader, I'm leaning to the Nitro at $699.

Yes, I know that the other stuff is better spec, but will I really notice the difference, or is the Rhythm the better 'deal' ?

Layby is available and would be used.

If my roadie is a 57 - 58cm HTT, would I bet better on a 19" or 21" frame ? :mrgreen:

Jean

Re: Now Anaconda !!!! JT Cycles - Spesh P2 Titanium for $99

Postby Jean » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Deore LX is a touring groupset these days (since the '09 range came out) and has been replaced in the MTB range by SLX.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Jean wrote:Deore LX is a touring groupset these days (since the '09 range came out) and has been replaced in the MTB range by SLX.
My riding on the trails will probably be described as "touring" by some !!!!

Advice from a fellow off roader is that the Rhythm will probably be the better buy due to front shocks and shimano hyd being a bit better value, and to stay away from dual susp. in the price range I am looking at.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Jean wrote:Deore LX is a touring groupset these days (since the '09 range came out) and has been replaced in the MTB range by SLX.

Advice from a fellow off roader is that the Rhythm will probably be the better buy due to front shocks and shimano hyd being a bit better value, and to stay away from dual susp. in the price range I am looking at.
Based on the small amount of info you've supplied I'd agree. My MTB has the basic Tora SL forks and they are quite adequate for weekend warrior duty.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:14 pm

MichaelB wrote:

Definitely keep it simple and just get the best components you can. They look like good value for the spec and should be fun

I think the rhythm looks like the best buy

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14 am

Cheers guys.

Yep Jean, the specs provided are limited, as that is what is on the promo stuff !!!

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:58 am

MichaelB wrote:Cheers guys.

Yep Jean, the specs provided are limited, as that is what is on the promo stuff !!!
Hi Michael,

More info here including a link to a pdf with full specs. There's thread on Fluids at Rotorburn which has plenty of negative and positive comments. I suspect the bike itself is OK for what it is, but as you would be buying from a chain rather than a LBS it will need a good once over before you use it in anger.

None of the pictures of it are very good, but the frame looks very similar in details (if not geometry) to that used by Cell MTX-0. Some of the details are also reminiscent of my Hasa frame, so maybe there's a factory link there.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:58 am

Interesting reading Jean, thanks. Will ring a couple of the LBS's to see what they can do for the same price as the Rhythm (around the $900) mark, or even the $700 price point of the Nitro.

Have booked a MTB ride at Eagle on the Hill MTB Park in Adelaide for teh 27th.

So it's either put up with the fully fixed Diamondback Wildwood (svelte 16+ kg of HT Steel) or do some creative accounting....

Likely scenario is to the the Wildwood, see if I like it and then plunk down some cash.

Thanks for the input guys.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Hmmmm, shouldn't have done that ....

Went for a quick walk at lunch to the LBS (Bicycle Express). After being shown a couople of bikes, then was shown some Apollo's at a slightly higher price. Mentioned the Anaconda specs and pricing, and they ended up offering the

Apollo Comp '09 (Deore LX gearing, Hayes hyd brakes, Dart2 forks - not Tora 302)

or the

Apollo Enduro '10 (SRAM X7 & X9 gearing, Avid Juicy 3 brakes (not Hayes as listed) and Dart2 forks) both for $899 ea.

Frames are slightly different, but overall pretty well the same usage but with minor differences in tyres, bars, stem etc that make bugger all difference to me.

Hmmm .....

edit : included links to the bikes

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Michael

I'd be making a list of all the things you don't need any more. A successful garage sale might just see you on a pretty nice steed. A bloke up here bought a Giant XTC 29 1 for $1699 recently. Also think that if a cheap fork was to fail early, as they do and it's owner was to discover he was on his own because of a ridiculous maintenace schedule that was never possible or likely.........the expense of replacing it might just add up.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Dart 2 forks are rubbish. Not worthy of the term 'suspension'. Only marginally better than fully rigids.

The '09 is otherwise a better spec bike, assuming only the changes you've listed. The XT shadow RD can be upgraded to dual ballraced jockey wheels, using the BBB kit for $20. You can't fit a ballraced upper jockey wheel to the SRAM X-9 RD.

Ask them what it would take to get the Tora forks.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:01 pm

That is an interesting decision - i would be inclined to go with something from a bike shop, if you feel they might offer post-sale support. It is a tough call though, as it compromises spec

I don't actually hate the dart 2 either. I swapped one with my nice marz on my gfs bike, and while it is stiff, it works ok. I'm sure it is heavy too, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:54 pm

MountGower wrote:Michael

I'd be making a list of all the things you don't need any more. A successful garage sale might just see you on a pretty nice steed. A bloke up here bought a Giant XTC 29 1 for $1699 recently. Also think that if a cheap fork was to fail early, as they do and it's owner was to discover he was on his own because of a ridiculous maintenace schedule that was never possible or likely.........the expense of replacing it might just add up.
Have sold most stuff already to get the Cinelli up & going :) :)

Sounds like HTFU'ing and using the Wildwood and saving up for a better bike is the way to go.

Knobblies, here we come !!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks to everyone for their advice and points of view. Key argument is the the forks are the highest priority for quality, and then the drivetrain and brakes being pretty well next.

In the end, I've one more visit to a LBS, but the likley bike to get is a Fluid Motion which is $250 more than the Rythym, and has the following key specs ;

Frame : Alloy with Carbon seat stay
Drivetrain : Full Shimano SLX
Brakes : Shimano SLX Hydraulic disc
Forks : Rock Shox Tora 302 Air

Sale price is $1150 (RRP is $2299 which is a bit OTT), so will get the layby going and get dirty soon. :D :wink:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Looks like a good buy. :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:49 am

trailgumby wrote:Looks like a good buy. :D
Hmmmm, ended up with the model down, the Rythym, mainly because of the carbon seat stays on the Motion means the frame only gets a 3 yr warranty rather than lifetime.

The Rythym still has a good base mix of parts and the Tora 302 U-Turn fork, so I'll have to live with that :D

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Hooray, one more person who will now understand my Friday afternoon agony. To road or not to road?

HERE is 80km of single track to get you going.