Trackies thoughts on FG trend?

dodgiebros

Trackies thoughts on FG trend?

Postby dodgiebros » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:56 am

What do 'real' trackies think of the fixed gear phenomena? Has it created interest in track racing or is it just a fad that will die and make track racing a thing of the past???

foo on patrol

Re: Trackies thoughts on FG trend?

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:20 am

Nah, just a fad for trendies! :roll:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:54 am

hey foo, have you seen any interest in track racing because of it? or is it 'out of bounds' cause ya can't 'skid, grind, olly, fakey, superman, pancake, skirtlift or whatever?...
I'd love to try track racing but the track up here is actually round and crap. I'm guessing I need a real track bike for starters?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Hey Dodgi, sorry about taking so long to reply.

I can't honestly say that it would influence anyone to take up track racing, it tends to be more a case of lets follow this trend\ fad to me.

By all means have a crack at the track! Look up the local club up there for someone to talk to. I never raced up there when I was riding, Bundy was as far as I got before things went pear shaped.

I enjoyed the track more than the road because it was faster and a lot of different events on the one day. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:59 pm

yeah foo, I remember going to see some racing at the Bundy track about 14 yr ago when I was livin' there... It was awesome to watch how fast those guys rode. From memory it looked like a decent track? I just never got around to giving it a go. Will have to suss things out up here and see if they train year round or just the summer months and join in.

As for the 'trend', I'm thinkin once all the old road bikes are used up for fixie conversions there will be an abundance of dead mtb's just waiting to be revived and fixied... yeah? I'd better start (oops already have :oops: ) my wrecking yard for that next wave of 'trendiness' hey? :lol:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:11 pm

dodgiebros wrote:I'd better start (oops already have :oops: ) my wrecking yard for that next wave of 'trendiness' hey? :lol:
Too late I think. The price of a good rigid on eBay these days is higher than I expected.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:05 am

The last time I raced there was 1979 I think? Was fast at night and had many a good time up there. 8) Allan Davis and his brother started their racing careers there. Their father was one of my best mates back in my days of racing. He had the potential to be very good, but didn't train hard enough. ( could have been a top class sprinter) I believe he did well later on in the vets when he started riding them.

Foo
Goal 6000km

alex

Postby alex » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:33 pm

dodgiebros wrote:hey foo, have you seen any interest in track racing because of it? or is it 'out of bounds' cause ya can't 'skid, grind, olly, fakey, superman, pancake, skirtlift or whatever?...
I'd love to try track racing but the track up here is actually round and crap. I'm guessing I need a real track bike for starters?
the participation level of track racing here has not been influenced by the 'fixie fad' at all, the occasional hipster comes out for a look at the racing but they dont seem to be all that interested in racing themselves. which is cool, i watch the footy sometimes and have no desire to play the game.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.