Beating the cold

aldifan

Re: Beating the cold

Postby aldifan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:09 am

Sorry you did not get much warning but Aldi have pocket warmers on sale today. They don't look as tough as the Kathmandu ones I mentioned earlier but they are a fraction of the price. :shock: surprised even me - I normally check out the catalog much earlier than this.

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_13740.htm
Big ones too
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_13744.htm

Edit: I got some and the smaller ones contain about half the volume of the katmandu ones - oddly this makes them easier and more comfortable to slipping on the inside of your gloves :mrgreen: Who says bigger is better.

Actually bigger is better but don't spread it round or they will all want one.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:03 am

Ok I thought I was well prepared for the winter. This morning, half way to work on a long, gentle descent I entered a bank of fog and the temperature dropped sharply, apparently to about -3. I was layered up but not wind proofed, and it was the coldest I had felt for a long time. I think I need one of those skull cap things, thermal socks and some glove inners.

Funny, when I started riding it was the middle of last winter. I had hardly any gear. I was wearing the stuff that most people call clothes, and it was ok. :?

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I can relate to that, since loosing all my weight I find I now feel the cold more than when I had lots of padding. :D
Fat provides a layer that helps protect animals for the cold, works for humans too. :cry:

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Max

Postby Max » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:10 am

martinjs wrote:I can relate to that, since losing all my weight I find I now feel the cold more than when I had lots of padding. :D
Fat provides a layer that helps protect animals for the cold, works for humans too. :cry:
+lots. This has been the worst winter for me. The other night, I went to bed wearing: undies, boxers, leg warmers (cycling ones), trackydacks, T-shirt, jumper, beanie and socks. And, of course, the doona on top of me. Stupid, stupid, stupid weight loss! :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:42 am

I agree with those who are lighter now feeling the cold more. I've taken to wearing pretty much the same to bed. but on really cold nights - also take a hot water bottle. Once you get the mattress warm and the air under the quilt - all is good :D
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:09 pm

My "spare tire" is only a recent aquisition - largely the reason I took up cycling. On arriving home on Saturday my feet were frozen and my belly very cold to touch, although I didn't feel cold (except my feet).
This morning it was sooo cold I "wore" a garbage bag on the front of my torso under my jersey. This kept my belly warmer. I'd planned on removing it as soon as I got warm enough. This happened after I got home. It was so damn cold that I had to turn around and come home after a few hundred meters because I couldn't feel my fingers in my fingerless gloves. Don't have any proper long fingered bike gloves yet, but an old pair of work gloves (not the yellow riggers gloves, these look more like MTB gloves) were in order These worked really well. During and after the long descent soon after my ride started I could still feel my fingers.
I have a cheap waterproof cycling jacket from eeebay. Torso part fits snug but OK, but the arms are too tight and get too hot. Took the scissors to this - now I have a cosy cycling vest, and waterproof / windproof toe covers. :lol:

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Spork! wrote:My "spare tire" is only a recent aquisition - largely the reason I took up cycling. On arriving home on Saturday my feet were frozen and my belly very cold to touch, although I didn't feel cold (except my feet).
This morning it was sooo cold I "wore" a garbage bag on the front of my torso under my jersey. This kept my belly warmer. I'd planned on removing it as soon as I got warm enough. This happened after I got home. It was so damn cold that I had to turn around and come home after a few hundred meters because I couldn't feel my fingers in my fingerless gloves. Don't have any proper long fingered bike gloves yet, but an old pair of work gloves (not the yellow riggers gloves, these look more like MTB gloves) were in order These worked really well. During and after the long descent soon after my ride started I could still feel my fingers.
I have a cheap waterproof cycling jacket from eeebay. Torso part fits snug but OK, but the arms are too tight and get too hot. Took the scissors to this - now I have a cosy cycling vest, and waterproof / windproof toe covers. :lol:
:D

I like the MacGyvery

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:12 pm

ruscook wrote:I agree with those who are lighter now feeling the cold more.
I don't know about that. I've got bugger all body fat and I don't feel the cold much at all.
2010 BMC SLC01

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:17 pm

hannos wrote:
I don't know about that. I've got bugger all body fat and I don't feel the cold much at all.
Come to Tassie. :wink:

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Spork! wrote:
hannos wrote:
Come to Tassie. :wink:

come to tassie and ride up and then DOWN mt Wellinton
when do we stop for coffee???

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:05 pm

hannos wrote:I don't know about that. I've got bugger all body fat and I don't feel the cold much at all.
+1

i prefer the cold to the heat of summer.

i commute with 2 tops, both thin lycra and long tights and even in melbourne's cold i will finish sweating like a dog. i'm pretty slim.

my partner turns the heating on at night in our living room and it's too hot for me. i'm happy to just put a jumper on.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:06 pm

I think the colds relative, some like it some hate it. For some reason Junes always the hardest month for me. Possible the really short days as I'm always riding home in darkness. In the country it always seem really cold at night.
Over the last 3 years Junes always been a problem. July and August are just as cold but I start feeling better the longer the days get. :D
Shortest day today or tomorrow and it all gets better from here. :D Bring on Summer. :D

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

nsr0772

Postby nsr0772 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:58 am

For the minus days here in sunny Bathurst i use a pair of thermal knicks, bonds singlet, LS winter cycling jersey, polar fleece vest, wollen socks and full cover booties, balaclava, cycling cap, winter gloves and some clear lens glasses. For the really really cold days i add a full polar fleece jumper. Ive found polar fleece vests as a top layer to be better than cycling specific vests.. cheaper to.

j-ho

Postby j-ho » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Jeans, wool gloves, t shirt and a wool jersey is all I need even on the coldest mornings.