Gels and gastric emptying?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
stonedpirate

Gels and gastric emptying?

Postby stonedpirate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:02 am

Hello,

Just read an article that sports drinks should have no more than 9% of carbs or it retards gastric emptying and draws water into the stomach to dissolve the extra carbs.

Coke is at about 12%.

I make 3 parts maltodextrin and 1 part water making it about 69% carbs.

Since gels have a higher carb content than drinks, does this mess with gatric emptying?

Should i diloute my maltodextrin in a full bion of water or is keeping it small fine?

Thanks
Last edited by stonedpirate on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Westgarth

Re: Gels and gastric emptying?

Postby Westgarth » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:53 am

Just be sure to purge once a day and you'll be fine no matter how much of it you drink.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:23 am

always have a few mouthfuls of water with a gel - never gave me issues

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:44 am

stonedpirate wrote:Just read an article....
Which article?

Gels are fine. You shouldn't be relying on them to the point that they are the main or sole source of energy for your rides. One every few hours is okay and as above, wash them down with water, plain water preferably.

If you're worried about gels but still want to get a good delivery of carbs, try a sports power.

Warning: Adult Content Follows

During a 24hr MTB race, I was hitting the carbo powder in the bottle, a full bottle every hour on the bike plus food (such as bananas, jam sangers, some soup and pasta, fruit cake), a strong coffee every 8 hours and of course some water. I would have had the odd gel, possibly 3 over the 24hr period. After the ride I pigged out on I recall 4 sausage sangers and a litre bottle of ginger beer.

Somehow, all the carbs I consumed were not absorbed. I hit the can before leaving the race centre in Canberra, and then at Marulan. Each time shooting a string of greasy carbo pellets.

Like a gattling gun, I was. At Marulan I was on the throne for about 15 minutes. Every time I thought I was sorted, a cramp would hit and I'd be firin' 'em off again.

Several factors at play. I was using a new carbo powder that I had not used before. Big mistake, always use products you're familiar with, race day is not the day to experiment with new stuff. I could blame my support crew for not counting the scoops correctly, but the fact is it was my fault for making the wrong estimation. And I should have had more plain water.

The moral of this story is that you can overload on the carbs and the above is the "end" result, so to speak. Gels are for an energy hit, not a long term race fuel though, and you really don't need them on a 2hr training ride.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:12 pm

stonedpirate wrote:Hello,

Just read an article that sports drinks should have no more than 9% of carbs or it retards gastric emptying and draws water into the stomach to dissolve the extra carbs.

Coke is at about 12%.

I make 3 parts maltodextrin and 1 part water making it about 69% carbs.

Since gels have a higher carb content than drinks, does this mess with gatric emptying?

Should i diloute my maltodextrin in a full bion of water or is keeping it small fine?

Thanks
Not sure about the gastric emptying bit, but anything over about 8% carbs is not isotonic - and will lead to less than optimal hydration (drawing fluid out of cells) once it's absorbed into your bloodstream.

Your recipe doesn't make much sense. Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide (table sugar or sucrose is a simpler disaccharide). While it's one of the better slower to digest types (due to the longer chain of molecules), it is nevertheless 100% carbohydrate.

You need to get about 80g in 1000 g of water to get the target concentration. 1000 g of water is 1 litre. Best way to get the recipe right is to use a set of electronic scales with 1g or better resolution and a range of up to 3 kg - can get them for around $30.

Suggestion to Mods : maybe this should be moved to the Cycling Health sub-forum ?

Cheers
Last edited by wombatK on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:16 pm

stonedpirate wrote:Since gels have a higher carb content than drinks, does this mess with gatric emptying?
Not if you follow the instructions on the gel, which should tell you to drink water with the gel (effectively diluting it).
wombatK wrote:You need to get about 8g in 1000 g of water to get the target concentration.
I think you mean 80g in 1000g, or 8g in 100g. :wink:
- Dave

stonedpirate

Postby stonedpirate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Maltodextrin is the main ingredient to most gels.

The whole point of it is not diluting it making it easier to carry in a gel flask.

I think if you wash it down with fresh water it will dilute in the stomache.

It was an article about cyclists using coke, i'll see if i can find it.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:37 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote: I think you mean 80g in 1000g, or 8g in 100g. :wink:
Yep, you're right. Have fixed it in my post.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia