Training diary for first OD event -- winter 2010

SeditionTrial

Training diary for first OD event -- winter 2010

Postby SeditionTrial » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 am

I had a reasonable day out yesterday -- ran out of time at the pool, so didn't get to complete the 1.5km distance. Hills, cross roads and traffic lights brought my avg kph down a bit on the bike, although I avoided the slow stretches /work zone / speed traps on the Coronation Drive MUP and instead did some nice fast and flat sections at West End along Orleigh Park and Montague Rd before heading over Highgate Hill. On foot the excellent (for joggers) flat, quiet stretch of SE Freeway MUP infront of my house is a great 10km circuit -- matched by perfect mild winter weather in Brisbane yesterday.

Run: 10km in 51mins (5:06min per km; 11.8kph).
Bike: 42.4km in 97mins (26.2kph).
Swim: 1km in 35min (3:30min per 100m); extrapolated 1.5km time 47.5min :roll:
Total time (including extrapolated swim time): 195.5min

I think swimming and bike will be where I can make the most gains to crack three hours -- this is my first goal. I will also need to allow for transition time, which I haven't done so far. Some cheap bike gains will come from not having to slow down for traffic, snarly bike lanes and side street turns on the day. I don't know if I have a heap of improvement in me in the run -- I feel absolutely caned at the end of this discipline, and I had not run 10km before starting this program (although having said that, I have now done it 5 or 6 times).
New tar seal in front of my wheel

ClownBoy

Re: Training diary for first OD event -- winter 2010

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:36 pm

I just remembered you were starting a diary and came to have a look. There is a really good 'River Loop' that has minimal stops on it if you are interested. The loops covers the city, the bikeway along coro drive, through the uni, etc. I have a link for the map somewhere. Full of cyclists in the mornings.
SeditionTrial wrote:I think swimming and bike will be where I can make the most gains to crack three hours -- this is my first goal.
Just remember how much time you spend swimming vs running and cycling (although swimming and running are similar for you ....). Join a squad for swimming but you may get best improvement for effort by focussing on your cycling.

Don't worry about allowing for transition time - you always go faster on race day so just make sure you go fast enough for transition to be added and you still come in under goal.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 am

Do you need a prod on the guilt bone?

Are you training?

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:27 pm

@CB: Thanks for checking in on me. I managed to do most of my training, although I did have a couple of hiccups (see below). Re: riverloop -- Coro drive bikepath is a bit of a mess at the moment. There are work-zones along a few stretches. Cops set up speed-checks and bike inspections there last week, and were issuing warnings for speeds over 10 to 15kph. Also $40 fines if your bike doesn't have a bell! Mine doesn't. So I have been avoiding this stretch of the river loop by instead riding both directions along the West End reach (Orleigh Park), and crossing back to the northside at the St Lucia greenbridge, then completing the southern half of the loop through Indooroopilly and Graceville.

Thursday training: a bit weak. I did do a PB at the pool -- 41 minutes for 1.5km. This is obviously still quite slow, but a lot better than previously. Bike I had to write off (not my fault, a tradesman turned up v late and I had to wait for him). Two games of indoor soccer took care of the rest of the evening(good sprint training). Bruised my forefoot / toe, so was worried I wouldn't be able to train this weekend, but it got better.

Saturday training (instead of Sunday this week):
Bike: 40.9km in 91minutes. Avg speed 26.9kph. Slight improvement on last week.
Run: 10km in 52minutes. 5:12 per km. Avg speed 11.5kph. A bit slower, but I wasn't pushing hard.
Pool: 1.5km in 42minutes. 2:48 per 100m. Also slightly slower than Thursday, but I swam at the end of the day.
Total time: 185minutes. Improvement on last week: 10.5minutes.

Happy with my improvement so far, but I am sure these first gains are going to be the largest and easiest. Hoping to crack three hours next weekend. Would also like to bring my 100m splits down to 2:30 -- according to SwimSmooth website, if your 100m splits are between 1:45 and 2:30, you can consider yourself and "intermediate level swimmer", whatever that means!
Last edited by SeditionTrial on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:16 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:@CB: Thanks for checking in on me.
Not a problem.

Any luck in finding a way to fit more training time in?

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 pm

ClownBoy wrote: Any luck in finding a way to fit more training time in?
No, still only 2 days a week at the moment. But have been finding the rest days are good for my joints, which tend to be a bit stiff for about 48 hours after each long session. Might have to switch to individual discipline training in the mornings soon, just to fit a few more sessions in, and to better focus on each one. Will have another look at it once I stop making progress on my current schedule.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:34 am

SeditionTrial wrote:Might have to switch to individual discipline training in the mornings soon, just to fit a few more sessions in, and to better focus on each one.
Absolutely. Start now if you can.

1-2 bike sessions, 30-40km as fast as you can would be awesome. Your run you only have to maintain. Your swim might come 5 (or even close to 10!) minutes faster with effort but you could cut 20 minutes or more off that cycle in the next few months.

So reward for effort says if you hammer the bike you will be what you pay for.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Had a close call on the Fairfield Corso tonight. Despite my 1 watt front light and reflectors I had a Subaru Forester pull out of a side street, directly in front of me, while I was travelling at 30kph, and I could not avoid it. So bike vs car, and I ended up on her windscreen (which broke). Bike will need some fairly major work to get it back on the road, wondering whether I shouldn't use the money to upgrade, instead of getting repairs. Driver said she would pay for damage to bike after I asked her to. I also told her I am not the suing type. Kind of annoyed me that although she said she was sorry, she wouldn't admit it was her fault. :x

Quite a pity because I was on track to smash my PB (ended up smashing myself instead!)... will edit post with my time later (important to get one's priorities right). :) *** EDIT: had travelled 20km (AT) 28.5kph at time of crash ***

Pool (beforehand) was a little more successful -- 1.5km in 40min, new PB.

Just got back from hospital (CT head and cervical spine), but feels like soft tissue injury to shoulder and hip only -- no significant strike to the head, no headache, neckache, loss of memory or loss of consciousness (or other neuro symptoms I'm aware of).

Loaded up on paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine, hoping not to have to have time off work tomorrow, or too much time off training (won't be riding the MS Brissie to Bay ride on the weekend tho...), maybe back to my schedule next week.

I will not be riding at dusk or after dark from now on. I did absolutely nothing wrong, but I still could have been killed.
Last edited by SeditionTrial on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Thank goodness you are okay but PLEASE say you called the cops and forgot to mention it in your post.

Otherwise you have very little recourse if she refuses to pay the $$ - even if some injury becomes apparent a couple of days from now.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Saw GP again yesterday, and was given a clean bill. Also saw physio who said everything seemed ok. Re: police -- I rang them on Friday afternoon to find out how to go about reporting the incident, and they said that they may not need to be involved, given that there were minimal injuries, minimal damage to property, and fault didn't seem to be an issue. The driver of the car seems to have admitted blame, because she has been in touch with her insurer, and when I spoke with them last night they said for me to send in my quotes for repair of the bike. So I decided not to go through with the police report -- at least I saved myself a trip to the station, which would have taken a couple of hours I think. If she decides in the meantime that it wasn't her fault, well, I guess I can always file the report then. I have made notes on what I remember, and I have taken photos of the damage.

So instead of km and times, today's log is about costs:

LBS estimate to repair front wheel, carbon fork, handlebars, shifters (you can only buy them as a pair), seat and carbon seat post, including parts and labour: Approx $1100. (bike only cost $1350 new, so I am definitely going to invest in a whole new bike instead).
Front light (switch is now broken): bought off Wiggle as part of front/back set, approx $60 I think.
Mobile phone (crushed to oblivion between my corked thigh and her front fender): $350.
Helmet (didn't sustain a blow as far as I know but I am sure you are supposed to replace it after an incident): approx $80.
Two physio sessions (one today, one next week): $170. (Physio said her insurance should cover, and if they kick up, I will be covered by my own insurance).

Estimated total claims: $1760

Being able to walk away from the scene of the wipe-out , and going home to tell my pregnant partner what happened: priceless.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:07 am

Well good luck with ity all anyway. Use the time to keep running!

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:27 pm

No running has been possible (quadratus lumborum strain) or swimming either (shoulder strain).

Notwithstanding I am hopeful of a light session tomorrow including all 3 disciplines (report to follow).

New road bike today!! Link to promo pic of new bike :)

Insurance paperwork is also slowly progressing...

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Sunday -- return of the injured rider (heh):
--------------------------------------------------
28.44km in 1hr 10min 30sec (avg 24.2kph).
250m in the pool (not timed, ribs and shoulder a bit sore to complete anything further).
Still no run: back to soccer on Thursday night I hope!

Ride was obviously quite slow compared to last time, but I wanted to get a feel for the new bike, make sure of the handling, shifting and brakes before I pushed it.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:35 pm

Finished work early tonight -- managed to fit in a 10km run. Plan was to do a few slow km and not overdo it, but it felt ok after the first couple (shoulder, ribs, lower back still a bit tender) so I pushed on, and finished in 52:50. :) Happy with that, was not expecting it at all. If I can get back into the pool and do a few laps soon, I'll be back on track.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 pm

750m in the pool tonight -- 20min. Reasonable speed, shorter distance, still a bit tight in the shoulder and back, hopefully that will ease off in the next couple of days and I can get back to the full distance (actually thinking I will extend each swimming session to 2 or 2.5km to make sure I don't drown in the open water!).

Also a slooow ride this morning -- too cold at 6:30am, and I pulled my shoulder yanking my beanie out from under my helmet at 7am once I had warmed up a bit. 18km at 23kph (bleh).

Maybe I am training too soon after the accident, and risking/causing re-injury: physio did say it was ok to start back -- have to see how things pan out for planned faster ride on Sat morning :(

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:22 am

Hey Sedition - don't let your concern about how you are since thw accident cause you to reduce your training too much.

In the past, when I have been concerned about injury I have approached it by planning my reduced workload then sticking too it - but not worrying about speed.

So if I decide to drop from 6 2km swim sessions to 3 2km sessions because I have experienced some shoulder pain - I:
1 - Decide it in advance (as oppossed to standing on the side of the pool and deciding to do a 1km session only or waking up Tuesday and deciding to give it a miss) and
2 - If the shoulder pain starts to twinge at the 1km mark of my usual pace - I drop back and finish the 2km in a very relaxed style.

The exception is when you experience the sharper pain that is the sign of an injury occuring - you always stop now.

The reason being - during your normal training when you feel at 100% capacity (if you are like me) there are days where your enthusiasm is a little lacking, or it is cold, or you are feeling stiff, etc. These all pass once you get warmed up but it is when you feel this way that a seemingly viable excuse (like your recent accident) can prompt you to alter your training on a whim.

The other benefit is that one day, during a race, you will likely experience a sudden tightening in your shoulders or, as per my example, some shoulder pain. If you have training in safe but non-perfect condition you are better placed to keep going.

So if I was you, I would mark out a level of training that I thought was appropriate for the next week (and by then I would go back to my normal training) then I would stick to it and allow only a mid session slow down as a change.

Just my 2c - good job on your training buddy.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Saturday training:
Ride 44km in 110min at 24kph -- I am not going to comment on this, except to say that next week it will be better.
Swim 1.5km in 37min, 100m split 2min28sec! If I keep this up, it means I have achieved my goal of swimming sub 2:30 100m splits! :D
Run tomorrow: goal is to be under 53 min, hopefully close to 50min. Will post back with time.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:34 pm

More injury dramas. (@CB -- this one is real, I'm not just being lazy, honest!)

Seem to have some kind of problem with lateral meniscus / lateral cartilage in my right knee: stiff on Saturday after the ride. Pain on walking on the flat after 100m or so. More severe when going downhill. Not the sort of pain that you can push through either, more the sort of pain that you really don't want to exacerbate. :(

Have done a bit of research and it seems the best thing is rest, ice, anti-inflammatories, etc... will see GP or physio if it hasn't resolved by next week, and in the meantime I am going to increase my swim training, and see what happens. Plan for 2km at the pool tomorrow, and will try to up it another 500m to 2.5km on the weekend. Will also see if I can introduce a third swim session during the week (or maybe just train twice at the pool on the weekend).

On the TV they make it seem so easy -- you just eat five weetbix a day, and hey presto! :)

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am

SeditionTrial wrote:More injury dramas. (@CB -- this one is real, I'm not just being lazy, honest!)

On the TV they make it seem so easy -- you just eat five weetbix a day, and hey presto! :)
It is easy - it will be the easiest hard thing you have ever done. But you need 6 wheetbix.

And what is this about me being a hardass? Okay - maybe a bit.

Go see your GP now if you are concerned so you can do what he says now. Up your swimming (as you suggested) but don't worry about training more than 2km in a session. Do at least 3 session a week if you can - while injured. Try some of the following so you are not bored (I can't take credit - my coach helped me with these).

I put the times together using your goal of 2:30/100m. Don't up the speed until you can hold the pace for your whole session!

These use interval training. So when it says "3x300m on 7:30" what you are aiming for is to swim 300m in just under 7 minutes, 30 seconds - rest until the 7:30 mark then repeat - 3 times. Ideally you want to finish in around 7:20 so you get a 10 second rest before starting again. These are my anaerobic threshold sessions - focussed on maintaining pace for your whole race. If you cannot finish in the time indicated - just rest 5 seconds then do your next set - speed will come. If you hit right on 7:30 - no rest for you, keep going bunny boy.

If you consistantly miss 7:30 - even on your first set, move the times back to 7:45 (and move theo thers accordingly. You will not get anywhere if you spend the entire session behind the mark.

Session 1:
200m warm up
3 x 300m on 7:30
3 x 200m on 5:00
3 x 100m on 2:30

Session 2:
200m warm up
2 x sets
400m on 10:00
300m on 7:30
200m on 5:00
100m on 2:30m
rest 2 minutes

P.S. - Injury prevention = Stretches, ice immediately after you finish a ride with joint pain, medcial experts and incorporate some weights work to help strengthen your joint support structures, help with flexibility, etc/

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Didn't make the magic 2km mark tonight. But did manage 1600m in 40minutes, which is bang on 2:30 per 100m.

Tried to remember CB's training plan, but didn't quite manage it. Instead I did:
200m warm up (ended up being at 5:00)
300m at 7:30
200m at 5:00
100m at 2:30
300m at 7:30
100m at 2:30

The actual times were between 2min and 2min 10 for the first 500m, after which I rested until the allotted times, then I found I slowed down, so that I wasn't getting rest between laps. Knee feels a little better, but def not up to serious weight bearing cardiovascular work yet -- will see how it goes with light walking next week. Physio booked for next week to see if they have any helpful thoughts. Otherwise I will be arranging MRI toward the end of next week.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:27 am

You did good mate.

If you keep that up for a couple of weeks, you will find you can better judge your speed t bring those first few back to 2:20 + 10 sec rest and that plus increasing fitness will help you to bring the following sets up to 2:20 + 10 seconds rest.

Like running - pacing is key in long distance.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Cheers mate. Swimming tomorrow at the brand new 50m Morningside pool. Sunday I'll be at my regular 25m pool. This is a question I have: do you think it is faster to do laps in a 25m pool or a 50m pool? (no tumble-turns, just touching in, turning around, pushing off). I guess I will find out tomorrow! :)

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Morningside 50m pool a little slower than regular 25m pool. 1600m in 42min (2:37.5 per 100m). Did another 300m untimed / slower as a warm down, for a total distance of 1900m. Will be back tomorrow afternoon for another go: 2km?

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Sommerville House open again after being shut down for a few weeks for maintenance. Nice clean 50m pool -- phone ahead to see if water-polo or squads are on though, if you are considering going here for a swim. Beautiful weather today, just wish I could run and ride too. Maybe next weekend?!

1800m in 47min, for 2:36.7 100m splits. No pauses. Seems like it is a bit faster to turn and push off every 25m.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Back at the 25m pool tonight. What a crap experience. 6 of 8 lanes taken up by squads, last 2 lanes weren't divided by a lane rope and were host to about 8 people swimming all different speeds (as well as some water runners!). Then I managed to get a lane with one other guy (after squad finished), but was getting swum over quite regularly. All in all, very ordinary, and I didn't end up timing myself. Just did as much as I could in the time I had (a little less than an hour). Actually probably quite good practice for bunch start in a canal, now that I think about it! :)

Walked to work with no knee pain today! (a little less than 1km). Will try some light jogging and riding on the weekend if I can keep pain free.