A minor gripe!

Profpinz

A minor gripe!

Postby Profpinz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:59 pm

I ride on the bike paths around Melbourne and reckon on the whole they are brilliant...well laid out, scenic, a real pleasure to ride on, but why, when they put "turnstiles"/those things at the beginning of some tracks etc, do they make them so narrow.
Sometimes I can "just" sneak around them in my trike, but other times I have to up-end my MR1/GT3 to get through.....I've even seen a woman with a pram having trouble negotiating one.

}SkOrPn--7

Re: A minor gripe!

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:58 pm

Yeah some of the pen pushers that come up with these ideas aren't too bright I have come across this allot on my travels and even on a normal DF bike becomes an issue. There is one track I take that even the elderly would have trouble getting there walking frames through it's that narrow.

njg02

Postby njg02 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:24 am

Become a pen pusher back and let them know of your issue. I mean, a bike path is a bike path isn't it. If you can't get to it, it 's not. We had a couple of difficult entrances at Wollongong which have been removed in time, officially I think.

william

Postby william » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:11 am

Port Melb rail trail at the city end is a beauty too. Understandably its for safety due to the tram crossings but the entry exit puts you at a greater diagonal angle to the tram tracks which isn't safe. This in turn makes you concentrate more on your line across the tracks instead of being wary of trams approaching.
If there is such a body that designs these then the proper approach would be to bring it to their attention, especially in light of greater numbers of family groups with tag-a-longs, kiddy trailers and the like.
I may give BV a shout about this.

william

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi: My least favourite pieces of "shared path barriers" are in the outer north east Melbourne (my riding territory):
1. Railway crossing "chicane" on the shared path beside Main St in Eltham: bad enough on a DF, just won't even go that way on the trike, I stay on Main Street to avoid it.
2. On the Yarra Trail heading to the city from Westerfolds Park, the barriers on both sides of the the dead end road heading into the Viewbank / Heidelberg section: just a total pain, some days if I get the approach angles just right, I can squeeze my trike through, but generally it's "get off and carry through". Not bent friendly at all.

Cheers

Alan
Alan
BentCyclist

Profpinz

Postby Profpinz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Alan: The "turnstiles" on the Yarra Trail near Westerfolds were some that instigated my original post.
I have a Chain Ring Protector on my trike and I hit it on a post on an unsuccessful negotation of the turnstile and as it then fouled the chain, it required attention....thankfully there was a seat a bit further on with a split in the wood that was a perfect fit for the ring. :D 8)

Peter.