Starting a bike bus?

drubie

Starting a bike bus?

Postby drubie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:40 pm

I've tried sending some email to the bike bus people but no replies yet.

I'm contemplating starting one (initially just on Fridays) to try to encourage a few newbies into cycling to work out at the university. Yeah, I know it's probably not the best time of year but a slow start would be better than nothing.

Initially I thought I'd take my home made tandem along the route, time myself at a fairly leisurely pace and set the schedule based on that - I'm pretty sure anybody with two functioning legs could keep up with me on that beast.

Not sure what else I need - route mapped, time how long it takes, put up a few flyers. Maybe take a stash of spare tubes and basic tools (easy to carry extra stuff on the tandem).

Not sure how it'll go given that it's cold and wet now, and heading into magpie season in a couple of months. I figure most people who want to ride are possibly already riding and maybe summer might be a better time to contemplate starting? Or would I be better off getting a long lead on working out where the worst traffic clashes are? Instead of my usual route, I'd probably follow more or less where the stink-bus goes.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

x8pg2qr

Re: Starting a bike bus?

Postby x8pg2qr » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Bikesaint runs/ran one. The email on bikebus.org.au had problems a while ago.

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/profile/BikeSaint

She leaves her SMS details here:
http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topi ... ke-lift-x2

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:47 pm

OK, might try sending her an email. cheers!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:07 pm

If you get no success, in a couple of days, PM me and I'll drop a note in their letterbox
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?