Changed my mind

Missy24

Changed my mind

Postby Missy24 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 pm

I don't think I want the mountain bike any more...

Christine Tham

Re: Changed my mind

Postby Christine Tham » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:54 am

Missy24 wrote:I don't think I want the mountain bike any more...
Please don't get the pink Pinny, because I've been lusting after it and if I get a job I'll probably buy it (I noticed the frame is now on sale for $4395).
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:24 am

Christine Tham wrote:
Please don't get the pink Pinny, because I've been lusting after it and if I get a job I'll probably buy it (I noticed the frame is now on sale for $4395).
Nooo not getting the Pinny... just decided to be a grown up with my finances, I'm almost debt free 100%, all cards are gone and I've even got cash in the bank... I like this feeling, I feel safer.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:29 am

Missy24 wrote:
Christine Tham wrote:
Nooo not getting the Pinny... just decided to be a grown up with my finances, I'm almost debt free 100%, all cards are gone and I've even got cash in the bank... I like this feeling, I feel safer.

Pics or it never happened!
Women? with money? NEVER!!!

All women max out credit cards! There's no chance you're in the black!
2010 BMC SLC01

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 am

I'm serious, I've got plans for next year and I really want them to work out and it may end up cost more than I think it will.

This will help secure a much better future for me (and in true Missy style I'll add) without the assistance of a man :wink:

I will look at a purchase perhaps at the end of the year and decide, until then, I will be a grown up (financially)

flammer

Postby flammer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 am

Missy24 wrote: just decided to be a grown up with my finances, I'm almost debt free 100%, all cards are gone and I've even got cash in the bank... I like this feeling, I feel safer.
Cards give one a false sense of affluence. Well done Ms Missy.

First two rules of financial progress:
1. Buy and pay off your first property by paying a little more than the minimum.
2. Buy a negatively geared property.

Avoid advertised/promoted investments, they're for suckers. Look at the managed agricultural white elephants.

But also remember that you need to spoil yourself occasionally - but only if you pay cash. :wink:
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:09 am

Missy24 wrote: Nooo not getting the Pinny... just decided to be a grown up with my finances, I'm almost debt free 100%, all cards are gone and I've even got cash in the bank... I like this feeling, I feel safer.
Need a new name now.

Captain Sensible !!!!

(Is there a female slaution = to 'Captain' ?)

Well done. Do the same myself. Can't have it if I don't have the money in the bank.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Um nooo lets not name me as Captain Sensible... No Offence, but if you name me that I feel as though I should wear brown pants under my !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! and vote for the liberal party... noooo thanks!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Oh this is why no mtb :lol: ...what is it with young people today :shock: .
Wish I had chosen security before adventure :lol: .

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Missy24 wrote:Um nooo lets not name me as Captain Sensible...
Princess Smart?

I was going to say Smart and Sassy, but that sounded too much like a shampoo.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:11 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Oh this is why no mtb :lol: ...what is it with young people today :shock: .
If you had played your cards right, instead of being in boring old France you could have been ... First Cyclist on the Moon!

PS - although I think you need a mountain ... nope, MOON bike for that. Also, if you break a crank, it may be a long walk back to the spacecraft.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:12 pm

My sister-in-law is a Captain. In fact she's a Group Captain (RAAF). So there is no reason Missy can't be a Captain.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Miss-chief!
Not my circus, not my monkeys

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Oh this is why no mtb :lol: ...what is it with young people today :shock: .
If you had played your cards right, instead of being in boring old France you could have been ... First Cyclist on the Moon!

PS - although I think you need a mountain ... nope, MOON bike for that. Also, if you break a crank, it may be a long walk back to the spacecraft.
My power to weight ratio would be awesum on the moon :D .

Anyway I am not the problem...if it had be down to me I would of stayed in the UK back in the 90's when I was photographing covers 3 or 4 times a week.But my wife can't decide where to live...so after picking up and moving 4 or 5 countries we still are not happy.Next on the list is New York / Singapore /NZ or back to Sydney :oops: .
See I was only half joking when I said this... "Wish I had chosen security before adventure" :| /

flammer

Postby flammer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:20 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Miss-chief!
Bad luck to choose your own nick name. Miss-chief gets my vote. :wink:
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:24 pm

flammer wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Miss-chief!
Bad luck to choose your own nick name. Miss-chief gets my vote. :wink:
Awesome... should I petition to have it changed by Christopher?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:45 pm

flammer wrote:
Missy24 wrote: just decided to be a grown up with my finances, I'm almost debt free 100%, all cards are gone and I've even got cash in the bank... I like this feeling, I feel safer.
Cards give one a false sense of affluence. Well done Ms Missy.

First two rules of financial progress:
1. Buy and pay off your first property by paying a little more than the minimum.
2. Buy a negatively geared property.

Avoid advertised/promoted investments, they're for suckers. Look at the managed agricultural white elephants.

But also remember that you need to spoil yourself occasionally - but only if you pay cash. :wink:
Hey Missy, congratulations. You're doing well to have come to that realisation so young.

I agree with most of flammer's post above - very sound common sense. The one point I have to disagree with is negative gearing. It's a no go zone - significantly ups your risk. Ask yourself this: how many days forward can you surive financially if you stop working? I could go a couple of years, but my aim is to be able to do so infinitely.

Remember this:
An asset puts money in your pocket TODAY.
A liability takes money out of your pocket.
In those terms, is a negatively geared property an asset or a liability?

Rich people only buy assets.

Negative gearing is for shmucks who get sold stuff by real estate agents or property "investment" shysters. And for those of you who say you can't buy positively geared property these days, yes you're right. YOU can't do it. :P

The rest I agree with. Cardinal rule: never go into debt for consumer purchases. In contrast, going into debt for something that pays for itself BEFORE tax is an example of GOOD debt.

I've got a reading list that covers mindset and strategies to achive the above if you're interested.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:03 pm

If you've never failed...you've never lived.
Life = Risk
hehe

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Hey TG

Thanks, about the negative gearing, I know I can't spell and my grammer is !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, but you'd be surprised at what I know about accounting :wink:

Mum's an accountant and the down low from her after many discussions on how to try and claim my bike expenses/purchasing a new home/avoiding paying HECS/avoiding my tax bill... etc etc etc basically anything to do with avoidance :mrgreen: and you guys think I have issues with me... you should see my tax issues :lol:

The down low on negative gearing for me was, "forget it you don't earn enough... move on next question" :roll:
toolonglegs wrote:
If you've never failed...you've never lived.
Life = Risk
hehe
I don't call it failing... I call it trying until you find what works for you, that being said I've tried a lot of things

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36 pm

That's cool. You've learned three important things...

1. mtb is not cool - stick to road :D
2. money is fun. We buy everything on credit cards but only when we have enough cash to afford it. Then we pay it off immediately. Have ben doing this forever. I remember our dining table being plastic for like 2 years because we couldn't justify the cash on a nice one. No biggie - the other one worked :)
3. n+1 still exists...it's just been re-priortised

Now then...I'm just going to nip to the garage and stare at that new racing kayak I just picked up :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:21 pm

moosterbounce wrote:That's cool. You've learned three important things...

Sorry, but I must have missed the thread that stated this. Could you direct me to it please? :?

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Nobody wrote:

Sorry, but I must have missed the thread that stated this. Could you direct me to it please? :?
Sure its right here

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Missy24 wrote:
Nobody wrote:

Sure its right here
Yeah, thanks. I read all that before but I couldn't see any scientific evidence which states "MTB is not cool". Oh well, just have to keep thinking MTB is still cool then... :D
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Nobody wrote:
Missy24 wrote:
Nobody wrote:
Sure its right here
Yeah, thanks. I read all that before but I couldn't see any scientific evidence which states "MTB is not cool". Oh well, just have to keep thinking MTB is still cool then... :D[/quote]
This is my thread, its unique cause you don't need evidence, you do however need my approval... tsk tsk tsk, not doing to well :twisted:

Have fun and sleep well ;)

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Lot's of great advice here. Well done.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!