pseudoephedrine, runny nose and exercise.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Spork!

pseudoephedrine, runny nose and exercise.

Postby Spork! » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:54 pm

I have my heart set on doing my first 100k ride tomorrow, but I am coming down with a cold. Not feeling particularly sick, but my nose has been running like a tap today.
My planned route is pretty flat, and the forecast shows headwinds shouldn't be a problem.
Is it wise to exercise when I have a head cold? (This will be an "endurance" type ride for me, not a fast one.)
What about taking some pseudoephidrine based meds to stop the dripping nose? My understanding is that this drug elevates resting heart rate, but has little or no effect on heart rate when exercising.
I guess my question boils down to: am I going to have a heart attack or stroke if I attempt (what is for me) a long ride with a head cold, esp. of I take some sudafed?

Missy24

Re: pseudoephedrine, runny nose and exercise.

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:02 pm

I did a 200km ride on the back of a chest infection... I wouldn't recomend it.

But its only 100km, above the neck ok but don't go hard, below the neck go to bed

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:04 pm

I'd advise against it personally.
You'll run down your body and allow whatever infection it is to take a stronger hold on you.
2010 BMC SLC01

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:19 pm

Before my sinus / nose op I used a lot of PE...it worked really well to clear my head.But don't really need it anymore...that and it is now illegal to use for racing over a certain amount.
Only you can answer the should you ride question...personally I would start the ride but would have a bail out plan in case I feel crap.

hung

Postby hung » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 am

If your nose is running and the discharge is clear
its probably the start of a viral infection or allergy
decongestants ie Pseudoehedrine based products will work
but you may find a non drowsy antihistamine will work better or decongestant nasal spray
Colnago C59 for the long road
Cervelo S2 for the short road
GT Carbon Pro for the mountain
Kono Kula deluxe / slicks for the foot paths
Cannondale dually for the big stuff

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 pm

My nose wasn't too bad today, so no sudafed needed. Did my first ton! 107k's in just under 5 hours, including a bakery stop for coffee and a pastie. My bum needs to HTFU. It was quite sore for the last 25-30k's. My legs felt like they would drop off for the final 20. My right knee is a little sore as are my wrists. I feel awesome. :)

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:34 pm

More brave than I am. I would have baked it off for the week then tried the next weekend.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

liamw

Postby liamw » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:26 pm

hannos wrote:I'd advise against it personally.
You'll run down your body and allow whatever infection it is to take a stronger hold on you.
Or maybe burn he infection out - I have done that a couple of times with colds. Exercise hard at the start of a cold and it goes away. It could be a personal thing though - everyone is different.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:40 pm

liamw wrote:
hannos wrote:
Or maybe burn he infection out - I have done that a couple of times with colds. Exercise hard at the start of a cold and it goes away. It could be a personal thing though - everyone is different.
Yep, everyone has different immune systems strengths. If I did that I'd wake up half dead
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:24 am

So far, today has been snot free!
My bum's not sore.
Wrists are OK.
Knee is good.
Just a little stiffness / soreness in my thighs :)

flammer

Postby flammer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:15 pm

So nobody else is allergic to pseudoephidrine? :cry: Limits the cold tablets I take to zero.
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:07 pm

flammer wrote:So nobody else is allergic to pseudoephidrine? :cry: Limits the cold tablets I take to zero.
For a drug that's used to treat allergies, it's pretty unusual that you are allergic to it. So how are you allergic to it?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:14 pm

flammer wrote:So nobody else is allergic to pseudoephidrine? :cry: Limits the cold tablets I take to zero.
What about phenylephrine? I got some Codral the other day and realised after that I wasn't asked for my medicare card. Checked the pack and sure enough they've replaced the pseudoephedrine. Doesn't seam to work as well though.

flammer

Postby flammer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:50 pm

sogood wrote:
For a drug that's used to treat allergies, it's pretty unusual that you are allergic to it. So how are you allergic to it?
If I have it at night, it induces nightmares and I wake up drenched. Apparently it's uncommon, less than 1:2000. But hey, I have 4 roots on my molars too! :wink:
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am

liamw wrote: Or maybe burn he infection out - I have done that a couple of times with colds. Exercise hard at the start of a cold and it goes away. It could be a personal thing though - everyone is different.
+1

This is what I do as well. Haven't had a flu or a cold that lasted more than 1-2 days in the last year - because I always burn it out by going for a ride.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 am

flammer wrote:If I have it at night, it induces nightmares and I wake up drenched. Apparently it's uncommon, less than 1:2000. But hey, I have 4 roots on my molars too! :wink:
Ah, that's side effect, not allergy!

Make sure you distinguish allergy and side effect correctly or it may adversely affect your treatment in an emergency.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:00 pm

liamw wrote:
hannos wrote:I'd advise against it personally.
Or maybe burn the infection out - I have done that a couple of times with colds. Exercise hard at the start of a cold and it goes away. It could be a personal thing though - everyone is different.
Be very very careful about trying to "burn out" an infection. Had a friend who did this at age 22 - jumped into a shower after a quick run. Knocked himself out, found collapsed dead on the bathroom floor when his flatmates returned home that night (broke neck when falling).

Adding stress to a system that's already struggling to cope is a pretty dangerous strategy. The risk is you will kill yourself.

Drugging yourself is just another way of adding stress that your body's natural defences don't need. Don't do it.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

liamw

Postby liamw » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:19 pm

wombatK wrote: Be very very careful about trying to "burn out" an infection. Had a friend who did this at age 22 - jumped into a shower after a quick run. Knocked himself out, found collapsed dead on the bathroom floor when his flatmates returned home that night (broke neck when falling).

Adding stress to a system that's already struggling to cope is a pretty dangerous strategy. The risk is you will kill yourself.

Drugging yourself is just another way of adding stress that your body's natural defences don't need. Don't do it.

Cheers
Personally, it has never been a conscious decision - I have a fairly robust immune system as a matter of course, so it just happens that when I have pushed myself hard at the very start of a cold, it has killed it off.

Everyone is different - what works for one person may make things worse for another. The best thing to do is to work out what works for you personally.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 am

flammer wrote:If I have it at night, it induces nightmares and I wake up drenched. Apparently it's uncommon, less than 1:2000. But hey, I have 4 roots on my molars too! :wink:
You are obviously an evil extra terrestrial trying to infiltrate our beloved Planet Earth.

Tell us where you live. We'll be paying a "visit" shortly. :twisted:
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Spork, i would save your distance rides for summer, the weather is more predictable and kinder.
when do we stop for coffee???