Southern Cross 'Alpha Racer'

munga

Southern Cross 'Alpha Racer'

Postby munga » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi, found a bicycle this morning. Anyone know much about Southern Cross bicycles? SunRace components, high tensile tubing, steel steel steel everything. Looks to be mid-late 70's.

*Apologies for ordinary phonecam image

pvesolar

Re: Southern Cross 'Alpha Racer'

Postby pvesolar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:14 am

Just saw your question about the Southern Cross. Stanley Lang was the builder. I believe I have the last tandem frame he made. He exported two of them up to Canada in 1976. Mr. Lang built Tandems for the British Olympic team back in the 1930's it is rumoured. I live up here in the States, about 90 miles from Canada.

Gary

jim soul

Postby jim soul » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:13 pm

I sold Mr.Lang's Southern Cross frames inthe 70's in Wisconsin USA.His craftsmenship was excellent. I still have[and ride] a time trial frame he built to my specs in 74. 531 tubing,w/Zeus dropouts and a track fork crown. Stove enameled British Racing Green and one of the best riding pro bikes I ever owned[out of 30 plus including the Colnagos, Masis,Pogs et.al.]Mr Lang was meticulous in his building and in his business dealings.I treasure his letters. They showplace the wonderful formality of the way things were done "back in the day".Stan Lang built frames for British World Pursuit Champ -Hugh Porter. He was that well respected.

glennOZ42

Postby glennOZ42 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Great to see My grandfathers bikes are still around and going strong. I have memories if going to his workshop and watching the building process both in the Uk and later in Australia. He passed away at age 80 in the Uk 1997. His wife Matilda is still alive aged 92. From memory his frames were all Reynolds tubing, 531 was the main tubing and Suntour groupsets were used later on. He focused on custom BMX and Racing bikes in the early 80's in Australia and made a few tandems. He also made frames for a guy called Graham Bufton in the Uk. I met Hugh Porter as a kid at a track day in the Midlands. Oh, He worked for Super Elliots in the 50's before returning to the uk to start his own business.

glennOZ42

Postby glennOZ42 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:57 pm

pvesolar wrote:Just saw your question about the Southern Cross. Stanley Lang was the builder. I believe I have the last tandem frame he made. He exported two of them up to Canada in 1976. Mr. Lang built Tandems for the British Olympic team back in the 1930's it is rumoured. I live up here in the States, about 90 miles from Canada.

Gary
Yes you would be right as he Migrated to Australia(Adelaide) in 1977 until retuning to the uk in the 1990's for family reasons. I hope to track down one of his bikes one day. I had several over the years mainly BMX.

ibeforexc

Re: Southern Cross bycycle

Postby ibeforexc » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:51 pm

I have an old white Southern Cross road bike that I've recent acquired.Does anyone know where I can find information about Southern Cross Bicycles? It has stickers on it saying it was sold in Sydney Australia. I really like the quality of this bike but I may be looking at selling it and was wondering if anyone knows what it may be worth in $.
Any more info other than this thread about Southern Cross would be great.
Thanks.

CraigL35

Postby CraigL35 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 pm

glennOZ42 wrote:Great to see My grandfathers bikes are still around and going strong. I have memories if going to his workshop and watching the building process both in the Uk and later in Australia. He passed away at age 80 in the Uk 1997. His wife Matilda is still alive aged 92. From memory his frames were all Reynolds tubing, 531 was the main tubing and Suntour groupsets were used later on. He focused on custom BMX and Racing bikes in the early 80's in Australia and made a few tandems. He also made frames for a guy called Graham Bufton in the Uk. I met Hugh Porter as a kid at a track day in the Midlands. Oh, He worked for Super Elliots in the 50's before returning to the uk to start his own business.

Gday Glen, Craig here.
I still have one of grandpa's bikes, red 10 speed that needs some love.
My memories are of going down the shop at Port noarlunga and going out the back and Stan dipping the frames in the bath.
I still remember my first Avenger bmx, wish i still had one in mint condition 8)
If anyone has any pictures of the old bikes please post them up :)

Cheers
Craig

glennOZ42

Postby glennOZ42 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Gday Glen, Craig here.
My memories are of going down the shop at Port noarlunga and going out the back and Stan dipping the frames in the bath.
I still remember my first Avenger bmx, wish i still had one in mint condition 8)

Hey Craig!!,

I remember that red one. I had an avenger too which was unusual as it had a longer frame like some of the American BMX had. I think you had "Tuffs" on yours. I remember your dad going arse over on mine, he'll deny it of course HAHAA.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:56 pm

[imgImage][/img]
Introducing my Southern Cross.

And this is what she looks like now.......minus the "Stars" wheel decals
Image[/img]
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm

And this is what she looks like now.......minus the "Stars" wheel decals
[img][IMG]http://www.bikesmoveus.com.au/picture.p ... tureid=301[/img][/img]

........and the pic WONT upload, because??? :evil:
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:47 pm

........and the pic WONT upload, because??? :evil:[/quote]

MIN of 10 posts to be able to post pics, ya got 5 so far so keep on posting, welcome newby, contact admin if ya in a hurry :D
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:57 pm

and because the links are only spacer GIF images 1x1pixels

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:07 pm

Mmmmmm.........

(that's one post)

tych

Postby tych » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm

hi this look like the thread that may be able to answer a queary for me i have a frame that i have been told is either a cobra or a southern cross
hopefully someone on here can help

can post more pics if required and sorry can't read serial as it has been welded over

stanlangsfriend

Postby stanlangsfriend » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:11 am

glennOZ42 wrote:Gday Glen, Craig here.

Hey Craig!!,

I remember that red one. I had an avenger too which was unusual as it had a longer frame like some of the American BMX had. I think you had "Tuffs" on yours. I remember your dad going arse over on mine, he'll deny it of course HAHAA.
Glenn / Craig - are you Rob's kids ? Or is he your uncle ?
I knew Stan very well in the 70s and got him write-ups in Cycling magazine, generally helped him a bit. Rob did the spraying.
Stan made me a fanatstic tandem as a thank you. I lost touch late 70s but am helping write a history of Viking and some of the personalities. Stan is my special topic, because he was such a great frame builder. Please get in touch
John Purser

CraigL35

Postby CraigL35 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:46 am

Gday John, I'm Rob's son and Glen is Rob's nephew.
I have given your email adress to Rob so he can give you some info.

Here is a pic of the frame i have, i chucked some wheels off my single speed to show it a bit better.

I think i might get the frame stripped and powdercoated and as its got some surface rust and scratches all over it.
And get some quality components for it, might give me some motivation and help lose a few kilo's :lol:

koen

Postby koen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Soo.. would my Southern Cross mountainbike 1986 be made by this guy? Bought in Qld bike shop, I figured it was from Taiwan.
It's a project I've been meaning to restore for years and race again. (Just to pass all those 11kg FS 29ers with hydraulic disc brakes in the EPIC or some such race would be such a pleasure :) )
I'll have to go and dig it out and have another look at the stickers. It was a pretty crappy bike, component wise, but slack and comfy to ride offroad.
Post some pics when I get home next week??

munga

Postby munga » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:20 pm

koen, probably the departmet store 'southern cross', rather than the bike builder (same as my opening post - it was a gaspipe clunker).

bmn

I have a southern cross bike for sale

Postby bmn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 am

Hey, I had a hard time finding where my 12 speed Southern Cross Ausporte road bike came from. seems to be vacant from the internet, except perhaps this forum.
I'm selling on gumtree (has photo): http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-fo ... Z354996153

Please let me know if this is one of the bikes you are looking for ;)
oh and btw. I dont check this forum account so please direct any emails to kperry5001@gmail.com.

cheers
Kris

retroskinny

Postby retroskinny » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:52 am

Anyone know about the southern cross early mtb,s?

koen

Postby koen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Well finally got my old 1985 (?) Southern Cross ridable again. Hard to believe I won races on it in 1987. Mind you no one else had much better.
I have upgraded with better cranks and XT deershead mechs.
With the cheaper gear it cost about $450 fromLBS in 1986 ..maybe equivalent to $900 today. Bikes are better value now.
The old xt mech is pretty hopeless at shifting. When Suntours patent ran out things got much better and the wonderful clicks started too.
I wanted to race (relative term) this on Sunday in a 50km mtb ride near Brisbane as a 25year personal milestone.
I will be gulping the painkillers after that! Racing rigids was painful when I was 30. It really aches after a fully rigid ride now.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am

munga wrote:koen, probably the departmet store 'southern cross', rather than the bike builder (same as my opening post - it was a gaspipe clunker).
You mean Southern Star? They're a K Mart brand. I haven't seen any Southern Cross clunkers yet, and i see a LOT of clunkers :) .

I have an Odyssey 5000 with 26" wheels which was set up as a tourer, 4130 cromo and Exage Country group.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

koen

Postby koen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 am

My Southern Cross is what I'd call a clunker. It was at the high end of clunking though:)
Mass produced Southern Cross like mine and OP were sold in bike shops. I'd doubt they had anything to do with any locally built custom bikes of the same name.

Garb

Postby Garb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi folks.
Bought this one a while ago, it's a Southern Cross F1 Mirrabrook.
Any info on it?
Same co. as above?
It was bought new in 1989 in Canberra and was in the Bicycle Museum.
Cheers
Alan

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:49 pm

Just bumping this thread in case someone can provide any info on that bizarre thing ^.

I recently got around to measuring my Southern Cross frame and the top tube is way too long for me to use with drop bars, hopefully I might still be able to build and ride it one day with MTB bars.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia