Enzo

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:36 pm

crog wrote:Stryker,

Forget the windup, althou7g I ahve not met aleft student for a while if you want to PM me what U do and what sort of job u are looking for I hire alot of grads for John holland if that is in your field.

Maybe I can give you a leg up.

Ur call
I fed that into babel fish for a translation and my computer started to smoke :shock:

Richard

my son sends SMSs to me in plain english, and to his mates in pure gibberish :D
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:06 am

Europa, I think Croc just offered Stryker a job with John Holland - Pretty nice of him (if I'm translating the message correctly).

About 'Enzo'. Another nice steel bike. I understand the Tange Infinity metallurgy is quite impressive and stacks up well against Columbus high end stuff.

The red frame with the polished silver of the components is a real winner. I find that that combination is always eyecatching.

Nice bike Lucky Pierre.

Gary.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:30 am

GaryF wrote:Europa, I think Croc just offered Stryker a job with John Holland - Pretty nice of him (if I'm translating the message correctly).
That's as best as I could gather too, though I'm not sure why. I never asked, nor am I in the same field as John Holland :?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:17 am

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:28 am

MountGower wrote:Someone may have been having a few last night.
I wasn't going to mention it, but typing skills and verbal disinhibition did suggest that, yes.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:34 am

You can get it ride'n;
You can get it read'n messages;
Matter of fact, I've got it now. :wink:....:D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:22 pm

Damn, he's one gorgeous bike Pierre, what a great build you've done.

The red chrome scheme is totally droolworthy.

What's wrong with a drink or seven anyway? :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

531db

Postby 531db » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:52 pm

The angle of your handlebars is interesting Peter. How do you get comfortable on the drops with them pointing just about straight to the ground?

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Love the Ventos.

I have them on my Masil and have found them great wheels. It was good to see how they look on a retro rebuild as I am thinking of putting a pair on my Tri-A when I get it together.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14 am

Looks sweet there. Is this the one that will enter the TdU ?

Gets the juices going and making me want to get the Cinelli going .....

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:17 am

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:41 am

You've done a beautiful job there with the all of the components. I like the way you got the parts you knew would be interchangeable to cleaner newer components in the near future.

Update us when you ride her and let us all know how she goes.

As for the saga of crogs John Holland ramblings...i translated it as, he was ripping "someone" off as being a uni student, thought he had made a wrong assumption about there employment and then offered them a job in his industry of John Holland to give them a leg up and into an ever growing industry.

Thats what i got :shock: .

But nice ride.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:09 am

MountGower wrote:Cinelli???????
:wink:

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:00 pm

I took Enzo up to Paul Hillbrick today to reset his rearstays - which took all of 5 minutes, but that's the difference between having the tools to do it rather than a chair and a piece of wood.
Paul's workshop was a bit topsy-turvy (he's in the middle of re-arranging it). This is the 'dirty' bit, because it's next to the tube cutting / welding area.
We also went through my bike setup to see how well my guess work compares to a more measured approach. According to Paul, this is what my bike setup should look like.
Image Image
The main difference between this setup and how I had the girlie bike setup (which I'd imitated the best I could on Enzo) is that the seat is slightly lower and set back a bit. I've got all of the measurements, so I can repeat it on any bike. In traditional frames, I'm almost '56 cm square', and most could be setup to fit me, but I'm better off starting with a shorter top tube. I'll let you know how it feels after I've ridden it - I'm in the middle of putting everything back on at the moment, so I'd better stop this and get back to it.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:07 pm

Oops, I almost forgot.
I talked with Paul about the Tange Infinity thing. He used it because of it gave him the chance to offer a frame that closely matched the performance and weight of Tange #2 at a significantly lower price. That's why Tange introduced its 'non-numbered' tubesets - they align with the numbered sets in terms of performance and weight, but are cheaper.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:58 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:Oops, I almost forgot.
I talked with Paul about the Tange Infinity thing. He used it because of it gave him the chance to offer a frame that closely matched the performance and weight of Tange #2 at a significantly lower price. That's why Tange introduced its 'non-numbered' tubesets - they align with the numbered sets in terms of performance and weight, but are cheaper.
I have a Tange Mangaloy 2001 DB Manganese steel frame (Yamaguchi Sports Frame on another sticker on frame) any idea what this would equate to with Tange numbered tubesets or other brands?

Paul Hillbrick is in Sydney isn't he? What did he charge to reset the rear stays?

Mike

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:27 pm

531db wrote:The angle of your handlebars is interesting Peter. How do you get comfortable on the drops with them pointing just about straight to the ground?
'tis an optical illusion.
I'm no fan of 'anatomic' bars (but that's what eBay threw up) at the best of times, but even I can't accuse them of that. I'll see how they are tomorrow - we're heading out the Monaro Highway for an hour or two.

ggundersen

Postby ggundersen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:11 pm

Nice to hear the reason behind the Tange Infinity.

If I remember correctly Mangaloy ( not cr mo) comes after Infinity. About the same as Columbus Aelle. But could be wrong(although I never am).

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:44 pm

This post, although I can't vouch for it, is interesting - it's a pity that Infinity isn't on there.
Then I had another thought - I know, it's a dangerous business - and look at this. It's worth clicking on the '85th' logo to see what Tange think a bike can be like.

531db

Postby 531db » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:13 pm

Oooh, we're talking steel tubing, one of my favorite subjects......

Tange Infinity was/is an attempt by Tange to produce a quality tubeset cheaper than the seamless mandrel and die drawn tubing such as their own Tange Champion (1,2,3,4,5) range and their topline Tange Prestige. (Reynolds 753/653/531 and Columbus SL/SLX etc were/are also seamless tubing.

How Infinity differed was that it was made by rolling and welding chrome moly sheet and welding the seam to form tubing. Previously this had been considered for 'cheap' tubing only, but the process Tange developed and used made the tubing effectively 'seamless' in terms of strength and quality.

US made True Temper tubing also was made this way and Greg Lemond used this on his Lemond bikes, so effectively high tech seamed tubing became regarded as being the the equal of drawn seamless tubing.

Infinity has a similar wall thickness and strength to Columbus SL and I doubt anybody could really tell the difference in performance. After all, brand names aside, they are metalugically both 4130 chrome moly steel, butted, although Infinity does use a double butted seat tube, rather than Columbus and Reynolds more usual single butt.

Built by somebody like Paul Hillbrick, it should be a lovely frame.
Last edited by 531db on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:16 am

Thanks 531 db, great explanation about the tubing. Would Columbus Cromor has a similar story to Tange Infinity?

europa

Postby europa » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:28 am

The tubing history makes fascinating reading doesn't it.

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:31 am

531db wrote: Built by somebody like Paul Hillbrick, it should be a lovely frame.
According to me, it is! :D

europa

Postby europa » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:32 am

LuckyPierre wrote:
531db wrote: Built by somebody like Paul Hillbrick, it should be a lovely frame.
According to me, it is! :D
And there is not even a whiff of bias in that assessment is there :roll:

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:29 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:This post, although I can't vouch for it, is interesting - it's a pity that Infinity isn't on there.
Pity Columbus Thron is not on their either :cry:

Pics look sweet, hope the white handlebar tape stays that way ....

Waiting on a price for the Veloce G/Set, and found another seller for the Camapg sleeve on the Mavic that is heaps cheaper too. :wink: