Tailights

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tailights

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:37 am

My three superflashes have all been sealed with a 10mm wide strip of MTB tube. Never a problem but I have done it since new so can't speculate whether it's a problem without it.

I've got one of these strapped to the back of the lid, I like it that it has leds emitting sideways too, really helps to let them know where you are.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi

Another option or not, is the FlashBak Bike Safety Light. Ken has a posted a review of same on his blog.

Regards
Andrew

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Sun May 16, 2010 9:52 am

Dinotte - feedback on my lights... motorcyclist pulled allongside me and waved during my ride yesterday.. shortly after he pulled over and i kep on going. anyway he pulled up allongside again and said what awesome rear lights I saw them over 1 km away through my helmet... Very reasuring -this was midday and sunny. Just goes to show you get what you pay for.. Dont scrimp on safety...

redned

Postby redned » Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

I went for the Radbot 1000 and it's brilliant.

+1 for coming with a rack mount.

brit_in_oz

Postby brit_in_oz » Fri May 21, 2010 10:43 pm

I use a cateye 5 LED plus a supplementary micro flasher on helmet, then i saw an add for the fibre flairs - had to get one, they are amazingly useful when dark. As they are fibre optic they suck in the light as the light is washed out, but in the dark/dusk they are great. My Cateye i thought was bright but next the the flair its near invisible. Put it on my right hand side stay and its very effective, now i want another for my back (have to look after them in the wet, not the best design, but besides that perfect)
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi

One for the fans of the MagicShine front lights, DealExtreme now have a "matching" tail-light ... 3W 3-Mode LED Bike Tail Light Set for US$57.60.

Model: MJ-818
- Ultra bright high intensity red light LED
- T6 grade aluminium with aviation and Army regulations three hard after oxidation
- Magnetic dimming, 3 modes including 2 flash and 1 constant setting
- Up to 50,000 hours of led life
- Powered by a separate rechargeable battery pack (4 x 18650 lithium batteries inside)
- Package included:
- 1 * Bike tail light
- 1 * Rechargeable battery pack (4 x 18650 lithium batteries inside)
- 1 * 100V~240V AC charger (US plug)
- 2 * Rubber rings
- 1 * Hard paper box

Andrew

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:09 am

I absolutely LOVE the dinotte style tail light, but i'd be worried that someone would try and steal it if you left it on your bike...

Currently i've just got a 1/2 watt smart flash style light, which i have mounted on the back of my helmet... But i'm thinking i'd like something more powerful for the winter months(and daytime riding).

Even the Dinotte 400R tail light only has a plastic mount, better than the rubber ring design of the 140R though, i guess.

I started my own design of tail light about 18 months ago, but didn't get it finished(yet!), maybe that's the solution i need. It would look crappy enough that no one would try and steal it, atleast, and the brightness is DEFINITELY in the same league as the dinotte 140R(if not 400R).

Why is it so hard for a company to make a good solid alloy mounting system with torx(or similar) screws for high quality lights?

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:48 am

Aushiker wrote:One for the fans of the MagicShine front lights, DealExtreme now have a "matching" tail-light ... 3W 3-Mode LED Bike Tail Light Set for US$57.60.
Andrew
Thanks for the heads up Andrew

I just got 2 x Radbot 1ooo's delivered and they look awesome but now you've messed with my head
I am very impressed with the Magicshine so far and think that the rear light would complement my setup with the rechargeables etc

Anyone want to buy 2 x brand new Radbots at a discount price ?
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks for the heads-up Andrew once again I look forward to anyone who purchases them to give a small review as that price is by far pretty spectacular for what you get compared to what's on the market now.

pompy

Postby pompy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I just got some Tioga lights with my new bike - unfortunately the rearlight batteries went flat very quickly.

I think its called Tioga Big eye rear light.

It looks like this:
http://www.cyclingsports.com.au/Detail.htm?sku=TBE

This might be a really stupid question sorry, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to open them up to change the batteries.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:01 pm

pompy wrote:This might be a really stupid question sorry, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to open them up to change the batteries.
They look very similar to the Superflash which is opened with a flat-head screwdriver (or coin) inserted into a slot cut into one of the corners where the front and back join. The halves just clip together and pop apart with enough pressure.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

ajh003 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:One for the fans of the MagicShine front lights, DealExtreme now have a "matching" tail-light ... 3W 3-Mode LED Bike Tail Light Set for US$57.60.
Andrew
Thanks for the heads up Andrew

I just got 2 x Radbot 1ooo's delivered and they look awesome but now you've messed with my head
I am very impressed with the Magicshine so far and think that the rear light would complement my setup with the rechargeables etc

Anyone want to buy 2 x brand new Radbots at a discount price ?
I have been using supeflash but not happy with them.
They have some serious water issues, they don't work very wel in the wet...
So for me they have been unreliable, not a good thing for a rear light...
And in addition to that,the weight distrubution is poorly designed, i already lost 1 light because of that. :evil:
(all the weight is in the part where the light is, and all it takes is one good bump for the whole light to fall out, leaving a piece of useless plastic behind... )

I have now bought 2 radbot's, and very pleased with the result.
the rackmount is awesome. (i had to modify the superflash to attach them properly to the rack)
The radbot has a screw to hold the 2 parts together, so no risk of losing the light due to a bumpy road...
First impression is very good.

It might rain, so we will see how that goes as well.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:57 pm

damhooligan wrote:I have now bought 2 radbot's, and very pleased with the result.
Hi

There is a good review on them at Kent's Bike Blog. BTW where did you get yours from?

Thanks
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:21 pm

damhooligan wrote:I have been using supeflash but not happy with them.
And in addition to that,the weight distrubution is poorly designed, i already lost 1 light because of that. :evil:
(all the weight is in the part where the light is, and all it takes is one good bump for the whole light to fall out, leaving a piece of useless plastic behind... )
Funny thing, not my experience. I have two Superflashes on my Audax bike on seat-stay mounts, and one on the commute bike on an adapted rack mount.. Each bike has done thousands of kms with the lights fitted - never had any water problems and certainly no tendency to bounce out of the mount, even on rough gravel road tours :? .

The Radbot does look to be a good bright light though. Is it any brighter than the Mars 4.0 1W LED?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Aushiker wrote:
damhooligan wrote:I have now bought 2 radbot's, and very pleased with the result.
Hi

There is a good review on them at Kent's Bike Blog. BTW where did you get yours from?

Thanks
Andrew
from cellbikes, where a 4day special, posted it in the 'spotted a special' thread.
2 for 70 (including delivery)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:13 pm

il padrone wrote:
damhooligan wrote:I have been using supeflash but not happy with them.
Funny thing, not my experience. I have two Superflashes on my Audax bike on seat-stay mounts, and one on the commute bike on an adapted rack mount.. Each bike has done thousands of kms with the lights fitted - never had any water problems and certainly no tendency to bounce out of the mount, even on rough gravel road tours :? .

The Radbot does look to be a good bright light though. Is it any brighter than the Mars 4.0 1W LED?
i have heard similair water issues from other suprflash users.
so it's not just me, the light falling out could be me just having bad luck.
i now have tape on the outsde to be on the safe side.

I like the build in reflector ofthe radbot as well.

not familiar with the mars,so can't compair but they should be similair both lights have a 1w led.
it's defenatly brighter then the superflash.....
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

pompy

Postby pompy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Biffidus wrote:
pompy wrote:This might be a really stupid question sorry, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to open them up to change the batteries.
They look very similar to the Superflash which is opened with a flat-head screwdriver (or coin) inserted into a slot cut into one of the corners where the front and back join. The halves just clip together and pop apart with enough pressure.
Thanks Biffidus - the 10c coin worked a treat.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:50 pm

I've found the guts of a couple of Basta/Smart lights of the same design as the superflash but minus the 0.5W LED... definitely a design flaw, though perhaps only for certain batches of lights as mine are still pretty difficult to open.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Just thought i'd update my choices...

I got myself a Dinotte 140r - AA's.

Fantastic light, cars give me MUCH more room on the road now... i'd say 75% of cars go wider than when i just had a smartflash, and about 25% of the total would actually veer into the other lane giving me MUCH more room...

Not sure about the battery mounting system yet... but it isn't critical, you can mount it basically where ever you want...

The flashing modes are pretty good, normally leave it on the *_*_*_*_*_*------ mode - if that makes sense... with the * being a high power flash, and the ------- being a low-power constant.

I like :)

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:53 pm

The other evening driving home I saw a nice bright blinky from quite a distance (approx 1k) away. It had a pattern of t bright flashes, a longer pause, 2 bright flashes, a pause... The 2 flashes were in very rapid succession. I was only about 80-100m away when I saw another bike besides this bright flash, it also had a rear blinky running, but it was nowhere near as effective as the brighter one. Wish I knew what sort the brighter one was. Anyone recognise the flash pattern? **----**----**----**

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Caelum wrote:Just thought i'd update my choices...
Fantastic light, cars give me MUCH more room on the road now... i'd say 75% of cars go wider than when i just had a smartflash, and about 25% of the total would actually veer into the other lane giving me MUCH more room...
Not sure about the battery mounting system yet... but it isn't critical, you can mount it basically where ever you want...
The flashing modes are pretty good, normally leave it on the *_*_*_*_*_*------ mode - if that makes sense... with the * being a high power flash, and the ------- being a low-power constant.
I like :)
Yea, the Dinotte are excellent...I ride on country roads, so I use the 'full strength single flash with long pause' mode...gives 10 to 12 hours use between recharges using 4 X 2650mAh NiMH AA batteries...I stash the battery pack in the bag under the saddle.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Spork! wrote:The other evening driving home I saw a nice bright blinky from quite a distance (approx 1k) away. It had a pattern of t bright flashes, a longer pause, 2 bright flashes, a pause... The 2 flashes were in very rapid succession. I was only about 80-100m away when I saw another bike besides this bright flash, it also had a rear blinky running, but it was nowhere near as effective as the brighter one. Wish I knew what sort the brighter one was. Anyone recognise the flash pattern? **----**----**----**
Sounds like a Radbot 1000, PB superflash is above
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tw15ted/images/160651.AVI
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Just thought i'd update my choices...
*** Gr8 light ... had mine for 12 months now.. re mounting.. I farted around for a while... 2 x velcro straps supplied and secured under the top tube and seat stay junction finally secure it.. Have cycled through second winter with these lights day and night and they are gr8.. son has usewd rechargables in x box which has shortenned memories on batteries... use superflash as back up but Dinotte 140 r 's are gr8 valuue for price and value..like others have said cars give you a wide berth. 99% of my riding done on beach rods, country roads southerns coast line Vic Day and night.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 am

Spork! wrote:The other evening driving home I saw a nice bright blinky from quite a distance (approx 1k) away. It had a pattern of t bright flashes, a longer pause, 2 bright flashes, a pause... The 2 flashes were in very rapid succession. I was only about 80-100m away when I saw another bike besides this bright flash, it also had a rear blinky running, but it was nowhere near as effective as the brighter one. Wish I knew what sort the brighter one was. Anyone recognise the flash pattern? **----**----**----**
Where are you based Spork?

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:21 am

Caelum wrote:
Where are you based Spork?
Launceston, Tas. Ordered a Radbot 1000 from US Ebay the other night, $36 posted. - $5.95 (US) postage from the states, the best Aust. deal I could find was $59.95 for the light and $9.95 post. :cry: