Repeated incidents?

Strawburger

Repeated incidents?

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 am

Hi All,

I had an incident this morning, not a normal car vs bicycle incident but a one sided road rage attack that i was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. This has me thinking...

Of those of you who have had verbal/physical attacks by other road users, have they generally been one off incidents or have you seen that person again?

I'm just slightly concerned that this person may well be using this stretch of road daily (as am i) and don't want a repeat of what happened this morning. Yes, i am already thinking about a temporary alternate route.

Please, i don't want this to end up being a bike vs car debate, stupid drivers etc etc etc. We have plenty of those already.

Cheers
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

fenn_paddler

Re: Repeated incidents?

Postby fenn_paddler » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:26 am

Was that on the route to north ryde?

I've typically never seen the person again however the seed of doubt it sows ends up spoiling the ride in the future. When you pass the conflict point & hear a car approaching from behind, you wonder....is that the person? Best to take a detour if convenient, for a few weeks.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am

I'd report it to the police.

If it happens again, report it again.

Ride a different route (I do this now after an incident witha drink driver)
2010 BMC SLC01

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:42 am

Alternatively, you can start earlier by 30mins or later by 30mins.

J

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:43 am

fenn_paddler wrote:Was that on the route to north ryde?

I've typically never seen the person again however the seed of doubt it sows ends up spoiling the ride in the future. When you pass the conflict point & hear a car approaching from behind, you wonder....is that the person? Best to take a detour if convenient, for a few weeks.
Yes, on the way to North Ryde (actually in North Ryde opposite the school on Ryrie St)
hannos wrote:I'd report it to the police.

If it happens again, report it again.

Ride a different route (I do this now after an incident witha drink driver)
The problem i have is that i can probably point out what the driver looks like, the vehicle colour and shape, but no other details (ie no number plate or other identifying features). Would it still be worth reporting it?

I'll also consider starting earlier as per J's reply. Peak hour traffic around that area gets pretty choked so drivers nerves are tested.

Appreciate the replies.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:46 am

I'd take a different route for a couple of days, or at least wear a different jersey. But of the run-ins I've had, I've never noticed the same car again. Once the adrenaline has worn off the driver probably feels like an idiot, so maybe they're the one taking a different route...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 am

Strawburger wrote:I had an incident this morning, not a normal car vs bicycle incident but a one sided road rage attack that i was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time.
it's a fact that some members of society are mentally unstable (if not crazy) and predisposed to aggression or violence, particularly when they perceive the risk to them is low. cyclists have long been a target for such cowardice - we've all experienced the psycho who appears out of nowhere and just lets fly for no apparent reason.

if it was a random occurrence and not something you provoked or inflamed, i think it would be pointless to try and evade the perpetrator. but i wasn't there so i don't know for sure.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:22 am

Personally, Id be happy to invite them out of the car and snot them but I have my size going for me. Again Id suggestavoiding that route for a little while, but still report it. Your description may not be too clear but the next riders could help them catch the turd

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:01 pm

jules21 wrote: it's a fact that some members of society are mentally unstable (if not crazy) and predisposed to aggression or violence, particularly when they perceive the risk to them is low. cyclists have long been a target for such cowardice - we've all experienced the psycho who appears out of nowhere and just lets fly for no apparent reason.

if it was a random occurrence and not something you provoked or inflamed, i think it would be pointless to try and evade the perpetrator. but i wasn't there so i don't know for sure.
Didn't provoke or inflame, just riding my bike. I have been in a situation before where words were exchanged, but have learned that there is no point throwing fuel on the fire and kept my mouth shut this time. The driver's attitude got worse as i ignored and avoided all of his actions.
The Womble wrote:Personally, Id be happy to invite them out of the car and snot them but I have my size going for me. Again Id suggestavoiding that route for a little while, but still report it. Your description may not be too clear but the next riders could help them catch the turd
Funny you should say that womble, i am a small man, the driver was rather large and did suggest i pull over so he could get out of his vehicle to hit me.

I'm going to ring the police assistance line (PAL) at lunch to explain the situation and find an alternate route too.

Cheers all!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Just spoke to the local constabulary, it seems that the chance of a repeat occurrence is slim to none. Still, i'm taking no chances the next couple of days. I'll be going around the block.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:05 pm

Strawburger wrote:The problem i have is that i can probably point out what the driver looks like, the vehicle colour and shape, but no other details (ie no number plate or other identifying features). Would it still be worth reporting it?
Yes it would still be worth reporting it - they will not (or are extremley unlikely to) find the guy based on such a report. HOWEVER let's pretend there was a second incident. Talking about the first one won't do much good unless you can point to a police report that was made prior to the second incident occuring.

It removes any claim that you are faking the original incident to assist you with prosecuting your claims in the second instance.

hung

Postby hung » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:12 pm

life is very preciousand short not worth the hassles of confronting people who can be abusive

I use to ride to the coluzzi bar every tuesday and thursday morning along the grand pde via the airport tunnel but recently there has been too many irrate/angry motorist , i don't blame them cos I would be upset also if I had to wake up and go to work at 5.30am every morning in the middle of winter

I have now restricted my riding to just weekends
Colnago C59 for the long road
Cervelo S2 for the short road
GT Carbon Pro for the mountain
Kono Kula deluxe / slicks for the foot paths
Cannondale dually for the big stuff

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Seems to be a repeat offender operating in the Brisbane suburb of Kenmore. (No, thats not the hospital near Goulburn)

Anyway from the news article that i have linked, it appears that local cyclists have raised the issue with police.

http://westside-news.whereilive.com.au/ ... -cyclists/

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:17 pm

elantra wrote:Seems to be a repeat offender operating in the Brisbane suburb of Kenmore. (No, thats not the hospital near Goulburn)

Anyway from the news article that i have linked, it appears that local cyclists have raised the issue with police.

http://westside-news.whereilive.com.au/ ... -cyclists/
coppers wrote: Indooroopilly Police Constable Ramill Celesto said police were still looking into the matter.

“We’re attempting to speak with this man and trying to complete a thorough investigation,” he said.
:roll: How hard can it be? They know the details, they know he's a regular, predictable tard. All they have to do is wait for him to show up and be a tard, and they can deal with it appropriately. How long does it really have to take?

*sigh*
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Thats exactly what I thought but as it turns out, all the abused cyclists are complaining to the paper but apparently the police have only received 1 formal complaint !!!

Make's you wonder, do people want attention or dangerous situations averted ? The data indicates the former.

Max

Postby Max » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 am

Rhubarb wrote:Thats exactly what I thought but as it turns out, all the abused cyclists are complaining to the paper but apparently the police have only received 1 formal complaint !!!

Make's you wonder, do people want attention or dangerous situations averted ? The data indicates the former.
You make a good point. Don't forget that the cyclist in the article contacted the newspaper 2 weeks after making the formal complaint to the police. Perhaps that's the actions of a frustrated man who thinks the police aren't really interested in helping him.

As for the others, it makes me wonder if perhaps peoples' thought processes might be this:

Contact the police: It gets "investigated" for weeks and ultimately nothing is done (eg "My mate Alan reported it to the cops two weeks ago, and still nothing has been done! Why bother?")
Contact the news: It gets publicity; other cyclists become informed there's a problem; others who considered contacting the police but didn't, might decide to lodge a formal complaint after all; the newspaper people might do their own little stakeout a la current affair; the negative publicity might compel the police to act a little quicker/with more transparency/be seen to be doing something.

Without endorsing the "report to the news instead of the cops" behaviour, I think I understand why some might choose this route.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Thats exactly what I thought but as it turns out, all the abused cyclists are complaining to the paper but apparently the police have only received 1 formal complaint !!!
the problem is that 'formal complaints' don't include all the other types that were quietly ignored. i've complainted to the cops on stuff and often you get the strong impression your verbal complaint goes to the proverbial round file

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Down here, this is pretty much guaranteed.

You just need to shrug it off and be careful when you bite. Commodore full of meatheads= Ignore them. Some fat little prick in a Barina= laugh in his general direction :mrgreen:

99% of the time I shrug it off and the 1% is reserved for bullies who bite off more than they can chew :wink:

One young fella in a Commodore gets brave when he has a car full and doesnt say boo when hes alone, which is typical in my experience.