Day trip on school holidays.

Apple

Day trip on school holidays.

Postby Apple » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Not going away this holiday, we just moved into our new house and I don’t feel like going away. The weather is cold, two children are grown up but one still young.
Recommendations please for nice days out. I don’t want to sit at home and watch bloody foxtel.
I thought of the Zoo for one day.
Any one know of farms in Sydney, to see some animals
Movies can be another day,
or bush walks.
Any Ideas people.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

hannos

Re: Day trip on school holidays.

Postby hannos » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Simbio could kill several hours. It's near Helensburgh in southern sydney (Actually I think Helensburgh is now part of the Illawarra region)

There is a bushwalk along the coast in the Royal National Park, I *think* it's call the Coast Track or some such. It runs from Garie Beach through to Stanwell Tops. You'd probably want someone to pick you up at the end as it's a fairly long walk. NPWS office at Audley should have a map depicting it.
Last edited by hannos on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMC SLC01

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Taronga Zoo in Sydney or Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo? I've been to both and can recommend them both.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Not sure how far from home you're prepared to travel, but here goes anyways...

1)

Featherdale Wildlife Park at Blacktown is quite popular with primary school age kids and gives them good "hands-on" experience.

2)

Not sure what it's like with the new owners, but Calmsley Hill City Farm http://calmsleyhill.com.au/ could be worth looking at too. It's basically adjacent to the Western Sydney Regional park that has good cycling tracks (was the site for the Sydney Olympic MTB events), can get access through to the M7 cycleway. Hills might be a bit tough for younger kiddies - but IIRC your's is maybe the right size to have a crack at them.

3)

Sydney Olympic Park would make a good day out. There's a number of interesting environmental projects and plenty of "bush" and mangroves to go bird-watching etc.,. (Newington Armoury is best for the latter). Bikes for hire, or you can take your own and ride your way around the very kiddy-friendly bike tracks. Bicentennial Park would be a good place to start. Decent coffee at either Lilies in the Park, the Newington Armoury Cafe, or some of the cafes around the railway station/ANZ stadium area.

4)

Not quite a "bush walk", but the Coast Walk from Bondi to south of Coogee beach is an excellent way to get the sting out of young legs (can get a bus back if they get too tired). Fresh air, and best scenery in the world. Lots of options for lunch and refreshment at the various beaches along the way.

5)

Similarly, the Spit to Manly walk is a bit more rugged, but also great fun. Other north-siders can probably fill you in on details for that.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

hannos

Postby hannos » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 pm

There's Mt Annan Botanical Garden in the SW of sydney if you're into that sort of thing.
2010 BMC SLC01

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:29 am

Thanks guys, I will look at all those, if you have more ideas they will be appreciated.
Many thanks wombatK, looks like you are a wealth of information.
I love the outdoors and so does my youngest.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:46 am

A day trip to the Blue Mountains. Catch the train to Katoomba and then bus out to the Three Sisters. You can do a bush walk around there. It's a fav for my kids.