does running hinder or help cycling

BarryTas

does running hinder or help cycling

Postby BarryTas » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:24 pm

ok, does running help or hinder cycling?

It helps with general fitness and its is great for cardio and HR spiking.

But would time be betetr spent on the bike......but say you had a pocket of time to train max 1 hour )leaving home and back) it woukd be better to go for a run because it just not enough time to get in a good ride unless you live near a hill
when do we stop for coffee???

zero

Re: does running hinder or help cycling

Postby zero » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:23 pm

1 hour is enough for warm up + 2x 20 min intervals.
Hills are not a requirement, just need a desire to reach a good intensity of effort. Traffic lights / intersections / low speed limits however can get in the way of that.

Cycling hasn't been very compatible with running for me, in that attempts to run in the week where my bike was off the road for wheel rebuild ended with upper thigh strains within absurdly short distances and at very low speeds - one goes then the other goes within a few steps. Not really certain how to solve that, other than to make sure I run more often and perhaps stretch before I go to bed more.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:45 pm

i agree with only having an hour and going for a run! in winter it takes 20minutes just to rug up for a ride!
i went for a run yesterday cause bike is getting re built. i pulled up sore :shock: :roll: good workout though :P
i know i havnt answered your question :shock:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Depends on what you want to accomplish...to be a faster cyclist then the answer is easy...more time on the bike.
60 minutes on the home trainer / rollers is plenty of time for a good work out.

5 min warm up....50 minutes Sweet Spot...5 min warm down.
10 min warm up 4 x 5min VO2 (5 minute gentle in between)...10 minutes warm down.
10 min warm up 2 x 20min at 90-105% FTP with 10 min easy in between)...5 min warm down...ok thats 65min :oops:

etc etc etc...if running comes easy to you then it certainly won't hurt every so often thou.

Just my...Image

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:08 pm

BarryTas wrote:ok, does running help or hinder cycling?
I'm yet to see anyone reach their full potential as a cyclist by running.

I see frequent runner/cyclists. By and large running hinders their cycling performance.

Of course, if un/under trained, then just about any exercise is a good thing for performance.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Last two posts sum it up. So I'm not really sure why I'm trying to add anything, but....

In my experience running hinders cycling. This is purely because there is only so much training your body can do. And taking time away from a different sport is going to help the other sport. It's all about specificity. So if your goals are to be a better cyclist, cycle.

If your goals are to lose weight and get fit, then run. An hour long run is going to do a lot more fitness wise than an hour ride.

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Tripstobaltimore, you are predominantly correct, and I will just expand on it, a little.
In my experience, running (in general) hinders cycling, and running (on hard surfaces)
is never recommended, due to damage of joints etc... if you want, best is to go to the
beach, and run up sandhills, less stressful, and expands your breathing, and builds power,
and strength for explosive efforts. Can help with core strength, also.
This is just my experience, and what worked for me. Was mainly competeing on the Track,
but did do Road races up to 100miles. Even an Annual Road Classic, through the Hills.
In Criteriums, this type of explosive efforts, are required, in and out of corners.
So this style, can help with all the different types of cycling competition. IMO. :wink:
I'm no expert, and there are plenty here who are (and some, think they are) so you will just have
to wade your way through all of the info. See what works best for you (we are all different)
Good Luck.
Cheers,
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

bunchridefinder

Postby bunchridefinder » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm training for the Oxfam 100km walk.
Putting the bike aside, i've been running etc over the past couple of months to get ready for it.
Went for a hit out with the local bunch the other weekend and I felt like rubbish on the bike, no top end power when the bunch gets really going - so for me, running is making me a slower bike rider. :x

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:33 pm

BTW Steve, thanx a bunch for supporting the QLD 1m Passing Petittion recently. We got 5000+ so thankyou. Parliament sits on Monday 11th. Ill keep you posted mate.
Thanx again
Dave Sharp

P.S. I didnt realise you were on here :shock:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi Barry, you haven't stated your objectives.

If you are after general fitness then the running will be complimentary to the cycling. If your goal is to win bike races, then you need to do the respective training to win those races.

Those who are over 35 should consider some of the issues with aging;
- Bone Density. Non impact disciplines such as cycling and swimming do not help with reduction in bone density. The solution is to include some form or impact exercise such as running, if your body permits impact, and/or weight bearing exercise if it doesn't.
- Flexibility. As we get older we become less flexible. To counteract this do stretching or a discipline that includes stretching such as yoga.
- Posture. Yoga
- Balance. Yoga
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bunchridefinder

Postby bunchridefinder » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:22 am

The Womble wrote:BTW Steve, thanx a bunch for supporting the QLD 1m Passing Petittion recently. We got 5000+ so thankyou. Parliament sits on Monday 11th. Ill keep you posted mate.
Thanx again
Dave Sharp

P.S. I didnt realise you were on here :shock:

Yeh for sure - let me know how you go!! - Good luck, its great to see someone taking action

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 am

bunchridefinder wrote:I'm training for the Oxfam 100km walk.
Putting the bike aside, i've been running etc over the past couple of months to get ready for it.
Went for a hit out with the local bunch the other weekend and I felt like rubbish on the bike, no top end power when the bunch gets really going - so for me, running is making me a slower bike rider. :x
I am doing something similar - training for oxfam & cutting the cycling right back. On the days I do ride I find I have no speed or power, and reduced hill climbing ability. For me running absolutely destroys my cycling legs, though the heart and lungs are sound.

What time are you aiming to do for Oxfam, & have you been doing much training on the actual route?

bunchridefinder

Postby bunchridefinder » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:57 am

fenn_paddler wrote:
I am doing something similar - training for oxfam & cutting the cycling right back. On the days I do ride I find I have no speed or power, and reduced hill climbing ability. For me running absolutely destroys my cycling legs, though the heart and lungs are sound.

What time are you aiming to do for Oxfam, & have you been doing much training on the actual route?
Yep, I agree - I feel the same way on the bike!
We want to do it in under 24hrs - aiming for 20, but who knows, anything can happen!

Did stage 2 and 3 the other week - Stage 2 is a Killer, 3 is easier. I think after Stage 1,2 and 3 the rest should be a lot easier. It's going to be hard!!, I think i have underestimated it :(

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:53 am

but having run for the past couple of months you're still better off that if you'd, say, spent the last few months on the couch :mrgreen:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:08 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Hi Barry, you haven't stated your objectives.

If you are after general fitness then the running will be complimentary to the cycling. If your goal is to win bike races, then you need to do the respective training to win those races.

Those who are over 35 should consider some of the issues with aging;
- Bone Density. Non impact disciplines such as cycling and swimming do not help with reduction in bone density. The solution is to include some form or impact exercise such as running, if your body permits impact, and/or weight bearing exercise if it doesn't.
- Flexibility. As we get older we become less flexible. To counteract this do stretching or a discipline that includes stretching such as yoga.
- Posture. Yoga
- Balance. Yoga

well love cycling and training for cycling. But i also enjoy running and running races.

So my next question would be...if i do some running training (say twice a week) will it have negative effects on my cycling

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:58 pm

bunchridefinder wrote:Yep, I agree - I feel the same way on the bike!
We want to do it in under 24hrs - aiming for 20, but who knows, anything can happen!

Did stage 2 and 3 the other week - Stage 2 is a Killer, 3 is easier. I think after Stage 1,2 and 3 the rest should be a lot easier. It's going to be hard!!, I think i have underestimated it :(
20 sounds like a good goal. Our aim is 18 but we may be a little underdone for that. I've been more worried about the latter stages, as they'll be covered at night when fatigued. We did cp6 - cp7 round trip on wed night (pretty damp, and quite technical) & I would like to do cp6 to cp5 return next week. Be good to get this out of the road and get back to riding!

bunchridefinder

Postby bunchridefinder » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:33 pm

fenn_paddler wrote:
bunchridefinder wrote:Yep, I agree - I feel the same way on the bike!

20 sounds like a good goal. Our aim is 18 but we may be a little underdone for that. I've been more worried about the latter stages, as they'll be covered at night when fatigued. We did cp6 - cp7 round trip on wed night (pretty damp, and quite technical) & I would like to do cp6 to cp5 return next week. Be good to get this out of the road and get back to riding!
Yeh 20 would be great - we are all fit, yet bike fit is totally different to walking for 20hours.
I agree i'm over the running - much rather get back into the riding!

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:22 am

BarryTas wrote:

well love cycling and training for cycling. But i also enjoy running and running races.

So my next question would be...if i do some running training (say twice a week) will it have negative effects on my cycling
"negative effects? " No.
"Hinder?" Yes.

Cheers,
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Lance is a former pro triathlete, but i doubt he does much running anymore.. The difference isnt going to be something you can notice (eg, you wont be like 'damn, my cycling is getting slower') but you might not progress as fast as you would if you spent all the run-training time cycling instead. Running has other health benefits too though (eg, higher bone densities) and makes life more fun, rather than just watching the city 2 surf while sitting on a bike..
What are these salesmen peddling?

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:45 am

doh, now i do have to do some running. My mate has just put me down for the Burnie 10, wich is a week after the Freycinent Challenge (a 2 day multi sport event where i do a 60km TT and 40km TT) So in think i will run in the morinings twice a week. This way i lose and ride time

My training plan until day light saving starts

Monday - double Spin
Tuesday - Spin then leg weights and rowing machine
Wednesday - double Spin
Thursday - Spin then leg weights and rowing machine
Friday - OFF
Saturday - 85kms ride
Sunda - 85 kms ride

oh and Mon-Thursday morining half an hour of core and leg work..............now mon core, tuesun, wed core, thurs run

PS must break 40 mins for the Burnie 10

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:37 pm

That's a pretty big training load there mate :) hope you can keep up with it :D
What are these salesmen peddling?