Converting my commuter to a track bike (gears/drops etc.)

atnan

Converting my commuter to a track bike (gears/drops etc.)

Postby atnan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:32 am

Hi folks,

I currently ride a fixed gear bike as my daily commuter, but I'm looking to get it set up for riding on the track. It's currently running 68.2 gear inches (48t/19t), so the gearing would definitely need to be changed. I remember reading in another thread that 84.4 gear inches (50t/16t) was perfect for someone getting into track racing, however that would require swapping out both my cog & chainring. Would 48t/15t or 48/16t be suitable for on the track? Would this gearing be suitable on the road too, or would I need to get a flip/flop hub?

Also, I currently ride with bullhorns so I'd need to get some drops. Is there anything to look for when buying handlebars for the track? How about the stem length? I've currently got a 120mm stem, but would something shorter be more appropriate?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Nathan

foo on patrol

Re: Converting my commuter to a track bike (gears/drops etc.

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:52 am

Hi Atnan,

Not enough information here, to give you advice on set up!
1/ age
2/ height
3/ current frame size
4/ how much riding you have done

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:30 am

One of the things a track frame has is greater clearance from the ground to the bottom bracket. Are you sure that you have that clearance?

A good place to start with gearing would be 48/16 or 48/15 and see how you go.

Also, you must have a fixed rear hub and you are not allowed any brakes.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

atnan

Postby atnan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:41 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Not enough information here, to give you advice on set up!
1/ age
2/ height
3/ current frame size
4/ how much riding you have done
Hey mate,

Here's some more information:

1/ 26 years old
2/ 176cm tall
3/ 55cm top tube, 58.5cm seat tube, 15cm head tube, 8cm bottom bracket height, 100cm total wheelbase
4/ I don't have any riding experience on the track, but I ride fixed every day. I'm fairly comfortable on long rides up to 100km, but usually on anything longer than that I'll switch to my roadie. I've been down to my local track (Tempe/Canterbury) and helped out for a night, but I've not been on the track yet.

Cheers,

Nathan

atnan

Postby atnan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:43 pm

r2160 wrote:One of the things a track frame has is greater clearance from the ground to the bottom bracket. Are you sure that you have that clearance?
On the bike I'm thinking of using, the bottom bracket height is 8cm (3.1 inches). Is that acceptable? What clearance would you recommend?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Nathan,

I think with a 84inc gear you would find it a little to high for normal riding, 81 would be my max!

Your frame sounds reasonably compact from the wheel base specs, don't really know with you bottom bracket height, it would depend on you crank length?

The age thing is no problem. I was looking at it from the view on restrictions on gear size as in under 16.

My next bit of advice would be to take it to the track and ask someone there, to help you out with the best way to go! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

alex

Postby alex » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:30 am

is it a proper track frame or a converted road frame

if the track isnt steep it prob wont matter

an 88" would be a good gear for racing if you are starting out
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.