pain in the left achilles

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Chaderotti

pain in the left achilles

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:40 pm

105 km ride yesterday, woke up this morning with a sore left achilles. Any ideas?
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

toolonglegs

Re: pain in the left achilles

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Saddle too high...cleat too far forward.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:50 pm

It's weird because this is the first time it's happened. Thanks anyway TLL
Princess

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:05 pm

I am not sure of the cause...could be a few things.But lowering your saddle and pulling your cleats further back on the shoe does take pressure off you achilles.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Number of things - if there was no local chafing or blistering (from heelcups) you might suspect it's tendonitis. Usually slow to get better, responds to rest, non-steriodals (ibuprofen)....

Looka at Wikipedia under enthesitis. There is a whole range of them - tennis elbow is probably the best known.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:24 pm

also make sure you stretch (lean forward against a wall while keeping foot flat on floor) after rides and don't mash monster gears unnecessarily (take off in a lower gear).

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 am

if its never happened before and i assume u must ride a bit, why adjust your seat height or pedals....?? :roll:

sometimes !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens and you may have just strained your calf/achilles. since its not acute now ( ie after first 24hours) heat and stretch - low load, long duration stretching is best where theres an injury like this.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 am

scotto wrote:if its never happened before and i assume u must ride a bit, why adjust your seat height or pedals....?? :roll:
how did nick riewoldt tear his hamstring? he's been playing footy for years and it's never happened, so why would it happen this year? because s**t happens - it's wear and tear

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 am

toolonglegs wrote:I am not sure of the cause...could be a few things.But lowering your saddle and pulling your cleats further back on the shoe does take pressure off you achilles.
and puts the pressure somewhere else.... hello patello-femoral pain !

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 am

scotto i just noticed you are a sports physio so perhaps your diagnosis trumps my one of "s**t happens" :)

having said that, i had the same problem and was advised by my physio to lower the seat as well.

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Chaderotti wrote:105 km ride yesterday, woke up this morning with a sore left achilles. Any ideas?
Is there any swelling or crepitus? If yes then it sounds like tendinosis, so you need to rest that sucker, apply plenty of ice and see a physio asap. I developed tendinosis on the GVBR last year and it took months to recover :cry:
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:53 pm

i've had the same issue for over a year. my achilles exhibits crepitus (the cracking sound when you move it). resting helped for a little while but it returned soon after i started working it again. my physio said i just had to manage it with stretching and ice.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:01 pm

I got custom cycling shoes coming in, my current shoes are battered like all hell. So I'll just have to wait for those shoes to come in to get a good fit up.
Until then I'll take it easy
Princess

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:45 am

jules21 wrote:scotto i just noticed you are a sports physio so perhaps your diagnosis trumps my one of "s**t happens" :)

having said that, i had the same problem and was advised by my physio to lower the seat as well.
i'm not a big fan of changing things that have worked for ages just because of one little hiccup.
i have seen a lot of achilles injuries that are unrelated to sports, let alone cycling seat height.
if youve been riding a while and havent changed your set-up, we can assume its all pretty well OK. it makes no sense to change it (in the long-term) because of an injury that in all likelihood may be mostly unrelated. The best course of action in such cases is unfortunately a bit of rest from whatever aggrivates the pain, and a visit to your physio for some specific but simple exercises to force the bosy to repair the tissue damage, generally by way of what we call eccentric loading exercises.

anyway, i think your diagnosis of !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens is accurate !