Powertap wheel build

Strange Rover

Powertap wheel build

Postby Strange Rover » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:35 pm

I borrowed a powertap rental wheel from the LBS and basically between that and what all the power guys on here harp on about Im going to get a wheel built.

The 32 spoke mavic open pro seems to me to be the standard sort of build and Im sure it would suit me fine but if Im going to get the LBS to build me a wheel is this what I should get??

At the moment I have a set of Ksyrium Elites (ride on these all the time) and a set of Cosmic Carbone SLs (done one crit race on these...actually only ever done one race ever but will to do more)

Im not some legend pro cyclist (only been riding since the start of this year) but I really enjoy having lots of cool stuff. I would really want to use this wheel for training and also racing (initially anyway until I believed I would be competitive and didnt want the weight or aero disadvantage and would run the rear Carbone)

In my mind I would want the wheel to be an equilavent sort of build to the Ksyrium Elites - dont really want a aero section. Now you can get hubs in 20, 24, 28 and 32 spoke counts so Im guessing there are a few options out there.

Last thing...Im 88kg.

So 32 spoke open pro is the go or something else?/

Sam

Sven Nijs

Re: Powertap wheel build

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Has the shop given you the price for the bare hub, the 'from the factory' Open Pro build and then a custom build?

It seem the factory built wheel isn't that much more $$s than the bare hub (overseas at least). The custom build would add a fair bit to the cost though, I'd imagine.

Which hub is it? I note the 2010 Pro+ hub has now gone to the 15mm axle (same as the SL+) but most of the factory built wheels I've seen advertised mention being the old 12mm size. Worth checking before placing an order if you're going after the Pro+ version.
EDIT: Checked with one of the major UK sources and their website is out of date. All Pro+ hubs/wheels he sells are the 15mm axle version.

Sorry, can't advise on the weight v spoke count issue as I'm a featherweight.
Last edited by Sven Nijs on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

AAMerchant

Postby AAMerchant » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:37 pm

hello there

just wondeing what you did .. did you get the power tap .. and what spoke count and what wheel set ... im going thru the same dilema at the moment

thanks

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Still looking...

The guy from the LBS is very busy ATM and I haven’t been able to get hold of him. I spoke to him briefly on the phone on Friday and apparently he had to rush off and catch a plane flight.

Something about hanging out with the factory BMC guys watching a few stages of some tour of France and then going back to the BMC factory to check out the details of the new BMC impec bike...

Bastid...

So I guess Ill catch up with him after the Tour.

Still after some cool build ideas though if anybody has got them...

I can vaguely remember some shop in Sydney maybe that had a website that listed a few options of powertap wheels that they have built. Might see if I can find that again.

Sam