Triathlon checklist

casual_cyclist

Triathlon checklist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Reefys CHECKLIST from forums.transitions.org.au

This is for a full ironman so I don't know if anything is not applicable to a shorter triathlon

Also, you will need to adjust to weather conditions: i.e. you may not require a wetsuit etc.

SWIM

Anti Fog Spray
Bathers
Swim caps
Swim goggles
Wetsuit and spare wetsuit for pre race or emergency

BIKE

Arm Warmers
Bicycle computer
Bike
Bike Box for food on bike
Bike Niks
Bike shoes
Bike Socks
Co2 cartridges and adaptor
Cycle top
Helmet
Pumps - Hand & Track
Puncture Repair Kit
Race Wheels
Rain jacket
Spare Battery for Bike Computer
Spare singles or tyres
Spare training wheels for pre race or emergency
Spare Tubes
Tools

RUN

Fuel Belt & Water Bottle Holder
Hats
Run top
Runners and spare runners for pre race or emergency.
Running Shorts
Running Socks

OTHER - TRIATHLON

Baby oil
Bandana
Body Glide
Carb powder
Electrolyte Powder - e.g. Gatorade/High 5
Food Bars - e.g. Megaburn/High 5
Gels - e.g. Cargo Shotz/High 5
Heart Rate Monitor
ID and Triathlon Australia Licence
Ironman Info kit
Mints for after swim
Muesli bars
Protein powder
Race Clothing - Top/Shorts/Niks/Socks/Hat
Race Number Belts
Raffle Tickets
Safety pins
Sunnies + spares
Sunscreen
Supplements
Towels
Training Schedule/Book
Vaseline
Water Bottle Bidons

MISCELLANEOUS

Batteries
Battery charger
Calculator
Camera
Clock Radio
First aid kit
Lots of food
Mobile Phone & Charger
Pen and paper
Phonebook
Scales
Watch
<removed by request>

tripstobaltimore

Re: Triathlon checklist

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:22 pm

fixed it for you....

SWIM

Swim goggles

BIKE

Bike
Bike shoes
Water bottle
Helmet

RUN

Runners

OTHER - TRIATHLON

Tri suit
Sunglasses
Race Number Belt
Sunscreen
Vaseline

It is seriously ridiculous what some people take to tri's...

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:30 pm

For the half I would have most of that stuff that you listed cc and pump that goes up to at least 140 or as long as it does what your running

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Missy24 wrote:For the half I would have most of that stuff that you listed cc and pump that goes up to at least 140 or as long as it does what your running
Do the smaller list for an Olympic distance you won't need much apart from gels ... Check with CB

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:fixed it for you....

SWIM

Swim goggles

BIKE

Bike
Bike shoes
Water bottle
Helmet

RUN

Runners

OTHER - TRIATHLON

Tri suit
Sunglasses
Race Number Belt
Sunscreen
Vaseline

Looks about right for a tri. How about a HIM?
<removed by request>

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:39 pm

I shouldn't have replied on iphone

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:51 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:

SWIM

Swim goggles

BIKE

Bike
Bike shoes
Water bottle
Helmet

RUN

brand new leathery sofa
six pack of Stella
packet of salted cashews
TV remote

Hope there arent toooo many adds.
Runners

OTHER - TRIATHLON

Tri suit
Sunglasses
Race Number Belt
Sunscreen
Vaseline

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Ah crap

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 pm

I agree with where Tripstobaltimore - except in the below I have kept the items that are obvious but he removed.

Plus I put the optional ones in Italics. I wouldn't really distinguish much between Olympic and HIM.

Plus you can do it with even less but I put in what I would call comfortably prepared.
casual_cyclist wrote:SWIM

Bathers
Swim caps
Swim goggles
Wetsuit - it is optional - I am soon to do my first race with one

BIKE

Bicycle computer
Bike
Bike Box for food on bike
Bike shoes
Bike Socks
Co2 cartridges and adaptor
Helmet
Pumps - Hand & Track - You need your track pump as it is easier in transition.
Race Wheels
Spare Tubes

RUN

Fuel Belt & Water Bottle Holder - Don't go nuts, a couple gels is plenty.
Hats
Runners
Running Socks

OTHER - TRIATHLON
2-3 Gels - e.g. Cargo Shotz/High 5
Heart Rate Monitor
Race Number Belts
Sunnies
Sunscreen
Towels
Water Bottle Bidons

MISCELLANEOUS
Watch

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:22 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:

SWIM

Swim goggles

BIKE

Bike
Bike shoes
Water bottle
Helmet

RUN

Runners

OTHER - TRIATHLON

Tri suit
Sunglasses
Race Number Belt
Sunscreen
Vaseline

Add some energy drink into the water bottle. I prefer hammer perpetuam for longer distance tri's.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Here is my take on this - with a few ODs now under my belt.
casual_cyclist wrote:SWIM

Bathers (or tri shorts/trisuit)
Swim caps (given to you in your race kit - colour denotes wave start)
Swim goggles - make sure they are comfy and watertight. Make sure the strap is in good condition. Carry these with you to the race start.
Wetsuit - it is optional - I am soon to do my first race with one

Agree all here

BIKE

Bicycle computer
Bike
Bike Box for food on bike - you will not need this for an OD - it's 40kms. Some tri suits include a small pocket in the back (think cycling jersey posket) that is perfect for an energy bar (eg Power bar) or gel, which are often given by a sponsor as part of your race kit.
Bike shoes
Bike Socks - you wont need bike socks - they are an extra hinderance in transition - just go barefoot in your cycle shoes - if you're really keen, Torpedo 7 often have good deals on propoer tri (cycling) shoes
Co2 cartridges and adaptor - good to have these, and at least one spare tube. Mooloolaba and Noosa I have seen many a flat tyre out on course, and it is a long walk back to Transition.
Helmet - mandatory, and it must meet AS/NZS and ADRs (including having the sticker affixed).
Pumps - Hand & Track - You need your track pump as it is easier in transition. You can often find someone in transition when setting up on race day who will lend you a track pump. You will need to pump up tyres on race day, as they recommend letting them down to soft while your bike is racked pre-race - it gets hot during the day and the tyre heats up, then cools down overnight, then heats up again on race day, which can lead to the tube bursting - a horrible noise to hear as you run in to trans out of the water and wonder if it yours.
Race Wheels only if you have them, or can borow some, and your bike is ZIPP worthy (all the gear and no idea is not the preferred way to be judged).
Spare Tubes

RUN

Fuel Belt & Water Bottle Holder - Don't go nuts, a couple gels is plenty. You don't really need a water belt - there is usually plenty of water usually on course - about every 3 kms at Noosa/Mooloolaba. I usually have a bidon of endura or similar in transition which I swig some of quickly between the bike and run as I transition, and I might carry a gel. Noosa also usually has the Pat Carrol Run Group out the back at the 4 km mark giving out snakes (lollies). Good for a quick sugar hit.
Hats - something light - a proper run hat, or even the event visor that comes in your race kit. A heavy cotton cap just gets too sweaty and hot I find, while a proper one wicks away for you.
Runners - worn in, and comfy.
Running Socks I would recommend running socks WAY over riding socks. To set them up, pull them on your feet, then roll them down to your toes so they look like a little beanie. When you come in off the bike, your feet will be sweaty - this way the socks roll on, not bunch and grab as you try to slip them on.

OTHER - TRIATHLON
2-3 Gels - e.g. Cargo Shotz/High 5
Heart Rate Monitor
Race Number Belts
Sunnies - not optional - wear them. A pebble from a rear wheel at 40kmh in the eye can really ruin race day.
Sunscreen - recommended.
Tri shorts - recommended tri suit - optional
Towels I usually put a towel down on the ground in my transition, to wipe my /wet feet on between legs, and to cover stuff up in the event of rain while I'm on course. See below.
Water Bottle Bidons - 1x water, 1 x endura or similar.
Large garbage bags - it frequently rains overnight at both Mooloolaba and Noosa for some reason. With your bike racked over night, use a garbage bag to cover components from getting wet. Remove it on race day.

MISCELLANEOUS
Watch (which should be on your wrist when you start anyway
OTHER ADVICE

Don't wear brand new shoes on race day.
Cut your toenails.

Setting up transition - when transition opens on race day, go in and set it up in the order you will need things. (This is also often a good time to put a bit of fuel in the belly - a banana, or a Power bar or similar - it starts your metabolism and by the time you get to race start, you will have energy in the tank, and your body will have already told you that the pipes need to be emptied).

Towel on ground - everything on the towel, stacked so you can get to it.

Bike on rack. Helmet on bike. Sunnies on helmet. Bike shoes on towel (on ground). When you come out of the swim - sunnies on - helmet on - shoes on - grab bike and exit.

Runners on towel. Socks in runners. Hat on top. Number belt on hat. When you come in off the bike - rack bike - helmet off, on towel. Sunnies stay on. Swig water/endura. Gel/bar in pocket. Number belt around waist. Hat on head. Wipe feet, socks roll on. Shoes on feet. Exit.

Then - enjoy the moment :D
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:10 pm

uncle arthur wrote:OTHER ADVICE

Don't wear brand new shoes on race day.
Cut your toenails.

Setting up transition - when transition opens on race day, go in and set it up in the order you will need things. (This is also often a good time to put a bit of fuel in the belly - a banana, or a Power bar or similar - it starts your metabolism and by the time you get to race start, you will have energy in the tank, and your body will have already told you that the pipes need to be emptied).

Towel on ground - everything on the towel, stacked so you can get to it.

Bike on rack. Helmet on bike. Sunnies on helmet. Bike shoes on towel (on ground). When you come out of the swim - sunnies on - helmet on - shoes on - grab bike and exit.

Runners on towel. Socks in runners. Hat on top. Number belt on hat. When you come in off the bike - rack bike - helmet off, on towel. Sunnies stay on. Swig water/endura. Gel/bar in pocket. Number belt around waist. Hat on head. Wipe feet, socks roll on. Shoes on feet. Exit.

Then - enjoy the moment :D
Your advice is gold. There is nothing like advice from someone who has actually done it :D
<removed by request>

whitey

Postby whitey » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Some great info in this thread, starting to train now for OD (hopefully) later this year.

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:57 pm

Thank you thank you. I know this is a bit of a necro-post but have my first short course tri next weekend and now I have an idea of how to set up for transition.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:26 pm

BrisBoy wrote:Thank you thank you. I know this is a bit of a necro-post but have my first short course tri next weekend and now I have an idea of how to set up for transition.
Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.
<removed by request>

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:28 am

It was great! Main goal was to finish really and did that, something to build on next time. Managed the swim ok which is by far my weakest leg. Made ground on the bike but lost it when I stopped to help another rider with a flat (which is keeping in the spirit of the event). Had a slow run but managed consistent effort so overall rather proud of myself. 8-)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:37 pm

BrisBoy wrote:It was great! Main goal was to finish really and did that, something to build on next time. Managed the swim ok which is by far my weakest leg. Made ground on the bike but lost it when I stopped to help another rider with a flat (which is keeping in the spirit of the event). Had a slow run but managed consistent effort so overall rather proud of myself. 8-)
Awesome! Just getting out there and finishing the event is a win in my books. I would love to tri but my cycling is slow, my running is poor and my swimming is mediocre. Back to running this week and hopefully I will make more progress than last year.
<removed by request>