Moving to Melbourne - where should we live?

backofthebunch

Re: Moving to Melbourne - where should we live?

Postby backofthebunch » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:03 pm

GusG wrote:I am in Northcote and there is a pretty good mix of things there. Plenty of eating, drinking, entertainment establishments close by and also some nice parks etc nearby. The preston markets are not far away and they are pretty nice. I also enjoy going to Ceres market for fresh, local and organic fruit and veg.
it is also the lesbian capital of australia, which adds to the vibe

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:06 pm

backofthebunch wrote:
GusG wrote:I am in Northcote and there is a pretty good mix of things there. Plenty of eating, drinking, entertainment establishments close by and also some nice parks etc nearby. The preston markets are not far away and they are pretty nice. I also enjoy going to Ceres market for fresh, local and organic fruit and veg.
it is also the lesbian capital of australia, which adds to the vibe
I thought that was Daylesford.....
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Isn't Daylesford the Nimbin of the south?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

GusG

Postby GusG » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Yeah i think Northcote may have been but from what i hear there are a lot of former Northcote types moving to places like Daylesford and it is now losing it's hippie inclinations. Anyhow, good to have them around and you are right Northcote has a great vibe around.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:59 am

Daylesford has long had the pink revolution. It's 'hippy' cred rested on the staging of the alternative lifestyles festival held over Australia Day weekend back in the 80s, but that has now been supplanted by the Chill Out Gay and Lesbian Festival.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

j-ho

Postby j-ho » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:49 am

GusG wrote:Yeah i think Northcote may have been but from what i hear there are a lot of former Northcote types moving to places like Daylesford and it is now losing it's hippie inclinations. Anyhow, good to have them around and you are right Northcote has a great vibe around.
If you are looking to move to Northcote, be aware that it has the lowest vacancy rate in Melbourne. And this is in an already tight rental market.

cycling_jo

Postby cycling_jo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:32 pm

backofthebunch wrote:in relation to some earlier posts:

lets not forget there is pleny of scum in sth yarra / prahran.
I've always found that interesting about Melbourne, all the trendy/soon to be trendy suburbs have a large contingent of scum bags that have nothing better to do but ride around dealing drugs, harassing people or hitting them with hammers! :shock:

Richmond, Carlton, South Yarra, Footscray, St Kilda, etc

Must be all that public housing I guess. :wink:

So Bella, my only advice is to avoid living near the public housing towers.... don't worry you'll see them.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:57 pm

I have quite a few friends who live in Richmond, South Yarra, St Kilda, even Footscray. They don't complain of drug-dealing scum. I think it's more to do with the sorts of people you hang out with. Choose your home location based on affordabiliy, access, your workplace and any friends you already have made. There are not many truly bad suburbs in Melbourne.

Hell, there are a fair share of drug incidents in the more affluent suburbs too, but we don't experience any ourselves in Vermont Sth.
Mandatory helmet law?

Westgarth

Postby Westgarth » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Public housing has a lot to do with it. Just got out of prison and need somewhere cheap to live while you start your criminal empire anew? Not to worry, the Housing Commission will bump you to the front of the list and you can get a flat or nice townhouse for $40 a week.

I lived in South Yarra for a couple of years, nice neighbourhood but unfortunately where I lived (the back of Hoddlestreet) was a dump and various of the aforementioned types were predominant in my street.

cycling_jo

Postby cycling_jo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:45 am

il padrone wrote:I have quite a few friends who live in Richmond, South Yarra, St Kilda, even Footscray. They don't complain of drug-dealing scum. I think it's more to do with the sorts of people you hang out with. Choose your home location based on affordabiliy, access, your workplace and any friends you already have made. There are not many truly bad suburbs in Melbourne.

Hell, there are a fair share of drug incidents in the more affluent suburbs too, but we don't experience any ourselves in Vermont Sth.
Not sure what to make of you comment on the "sorts of people you hang out with". There seems to be an implication in there?

I work in Richmond and there is a huge problem, especially in the north. Maybe your friends just drive their cars into the garages and stay inside most of the time? You see the druggies everywhere, Swan St, Bridge Rd and especially Victoria St. The other suburbs I mentioned have the same thing.

Also, you may be surprised to know that a lot of the drug overdoses in Richmond are people that live in the eastern suburbs who come into town to score. Heroin doesn't know what socio-economic status is.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:55 am

cycling_jo wrote:Not sure what to make of you comment on the "sorts of people you hang out with". There seems to be an implication in there?
No implication intended.
cycling_jo wrote:Maybe your friends just drive their cars into the garages and stay inside most of the time?
They are friends who get about by bike and many of whom don't even own a car.
cycling_jo wrote:....a lot of the drug overdoses in Richmond are people that live in the eastern suburbs who come into town to score. Heroin doesn't know what socio-economic status is.
Exactly my point. Contact with the drug scene is a lot less to do with which suburb you live in and much more to do with the sort of social circles you mix in and activities you get involved with.
Mandatory helmet law?

Westgarth

Postby Westgarth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:03 pm

They are friends who get about by bike and many of whom don't even own a car.
Vagrants and car-thieves!

Don't get too excited, I'm just having a Friday evening laugh!

cycling_jo

Postby cycling_jo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:35 pm

il padrone wrote:
cycling_jo wrote:....a lot of the drug overdoses in Richmond are people that live in the eastern suburbs who come into town to score. Heroin doesn't know what socio-economic status is.
Exactly my point. Contact with the drug scene is a lot less to do with which suburb you live in and much more to do with the sort of social circles you mix in and activities you get involved with.
I think you are confusing recreational drug use with addiction. As an example, go for a walk down Victoria St any time of day, particularly the corner of Nicholson St and then tell me contact with drugs has more to do with social circles than which suburb you live in. This area has some of the busiest restaurants in Melbourne.

Westgarth

Postby Westgarth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:37 pm

I guess it depends on what we mean by 'contact with the drug scene'.

If you live in these areas you will constantly come into contact with people who are druggies and/or dealers - begging for change, robbing your house or car, stealing your bike, stabbing you at the railway station for your iPod etc.