Arm Fracture (Ulna)

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Arm Fracture (Ulna)

Postby westab » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Late last year I had and accident and spiral fractured my right forearm (the ulna which is the smaller of the two bones) about 60mm above my wrist joint for about another 40mm. I was lucky that it didn't displace and therefore didn't require surgery. After 6 weeks in a long arm cast I had another 4 weeks off the bike(I had done the exercises the hospital had given me) before I got back into riding to work. It was still sore then but this was as expected.

My concern is that it still has a dull ache from the time I start riding till about an hour after I finish. I have full motion and strength in the arm - I would just like to know if this is normal to have this after a fracture or if I should go see my G.P. to get it checked? (P.S. I havn't fractured anything else.)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

by BNA » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Arm Fracture (Ulna)

Postby wombatK » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 pm

I've got a friend who had a double-hip replacement who half a year down the track was still limping around like he did before the successful surgery. There was no reason for it, and when another friend gently pointed out to him - it stopped (virtually overnight).

Seems his brain had been trained to limp, quite unconsciously, even when there was no need.

If you've only been back on the bike for a handful of rides, there could be a muscle that's a bit wasted, or other tissue that's tightened up that will take a bit more time to recover its flexibility. You probably should see your doctor to at least work out whether the pain has a physiological basis, or whether it just might be your brain playing tricks with you.

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Postby westab » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks WombatK, I have been back riding every day to work since mid January; so far 2586km for the year - It may just be time to see the doc, just for a checkup. The hospital did an x-ray after the swelling went down (and they reset it at 2 weeks) to check the bone was still in allignment, but never did a final one when it came out of the cast due to the fact that I had the full range of movement. It could be I am just as you say in my head.

Thanks again
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:53 am

you should always get any concerns checked by a GP, but it doesn't strike me as unusual that you might be getting some pain from a previously broken arm.

Return to Cycling Health