Matt Blak
Gruppetto
Eric ??

Others welcome

aroes

Re: Casey Allstars Bunch Ride

Postby aroes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:22 pm

should finally be picking up my new bike this week

once i've put in a month or two's worth of big solo rides, i hope to join you lot one morning

happy riding

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Weather Forecast
Sunday: Light rain early – Wind 10 km/h NNW – Rain 35% - Temperature 9 min. 14 max.

Sorry guys but I going to check the rain radar early Sunday morning, and if it looks like showers coming across I’m simply coming to the start location to have a bacon and egg Mc Muffin, a coffee, and to wave you guys off as I’m not going to get soaked riding again if I can avoid it.

Particularly not with the cough I’ve got at the moment. :cry:

Tom

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:27 am

I am looking forward to the ride on Sunday, the forecast for cranbourne is promising: Light Rain Early (1mm, 30%), Mostly Sunny (after 7:30am obviously!) . Cool, 11 degrees. wind 24kmh NNW.

Putting on my rose colored glasses, it will be a grand tour to Tooradin, wind assisted down, with a crisp but not unpleasant 11 degrees.

Anyway, will meet at McCAfe, and ride or drink coffee and talk about riding. see you at 6:50am.

Erik said he would join us.
Wilier GTR

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:18 am

Sunday morning got up nice and early to be sure I got there on time, checked the rain radar, all looking good, double checked the bike and tyre pressure, and filled a bidon with the right mixture ready to ride to Mc D’s at Hampton Park, and that’s when things started to go wrong!

Put on my bike shoes, but must have been feeling too strong because I managed to snap off one of the buckles in the process of doing the shoes up nice and tight. :shock:

Mad panic grabbing my spare shoes and swapping over the cleats.

Threw the bike in the car and broke a few speed limits, but still got there on time.

When Eric arrived a couple of minutes later we set off to ride to Tooradin: you beauty I made it! :D

It took me a few minutes to relax after the early drama and get into an easy rhythm, after the first couple of Km’s I was feeling good until a loud cracking sound from the rear of the bike and a sudden rough ride made me realise I had blown the rear tyre. :x

Upon inspection it turned out to be a decent size gash in the side wall, but after applying a patch to the inside, courtesy of Matt, fitting a spare inner tube and a quick blast from a CO2 canister I was ready to set off again, only to realise rather quickly that even with the patch the tube was protruding through the gash in the tyre wall and that there was no sense in proceeding any further. :cry:

So I set off back to Mc D’s and my car and only made a couple of hundred metres before the rear blew out again. Bugger!

Tyre off again, fitted my last spare tube and this time I remembered about fitting a folded five dollar note into the tyre behind the cut in the side wall. Another cartridge to pump the tyre up again and made it back to the car without further problems.

Hope you guys had a great ride and I will try again for the next one, hopefully next time without Murphy riding my tail. :D

Cheers,
Tom

brit_in_oz

Postby brit_in_oz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:55 am

Unfortunate :( - get some tyre liners, i swear by them, after riding around the Dandenong area commuting and dealing with all the crap trucks leave behind they have saved me many times
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

spudley

Postby spudley » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:15 am

tyre liners are good but if you don't take you're tyres off for about 6 months i've seen where the tyre liner overlaps and it can cause a cut in the tube.

although, this was with the mr. tuffy ones and a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on one of our customer's touring bikes.

Other brand tyre liners may be different and not cause that crease in the tube...

In other news, i will try make an effort to get down to the next allstars ride :)
will that be this Sunday?

cheers,
spudley

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 am

Last Sunday we all set off to Tooradin and it was going well until Tom blew out his rear. We waited for repairs to see if he could get going again, but after seeing the tube bulge through the tyre, Tom "re-tyred".

With a strong tail wind we set off for Tooradin along the South Gippsland Highway. We pushed along at a fair pace until we got through Cranbourne onto the open road and then we cranked it up a notch. We got to Tooradin in just over 30 minutes, then turned at the bridge for the ride home.

The lovely breeze on the way down turned into a strong head wind all the way back. A few of us are training for the Around the Bay ride, so we got lots of practice at drafting and group riding all the way home. I haven't done much of this so this was a real bonus for me. We all had turns at the front, Erik took on the role of super domestique and towed us home most of the way. We tried to sit on 25kmh on the way back and we were all working hard. We were running a bit late, so I peeled off for home, again there was no time for a coffee for me :( .

There was some agreement to have another ride this week on Sunday morning, so 7am at McDonalds again this week. Same route to Tooradin, or we can ride to Frankston & back. Me I like the ride to Tooradin, the open country side, the straight road, others have told me its boring. Hope to be able to get back by 9am so

See you at 6:55am, Sun 18-Jul

Matt
Wilier GTR

crog

Postby crog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:17 pm

Guys,

Apologies I don think i will be able to attend Sunday. Family commitments in the morning. Catch you next time

I do intend to head out Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon if anybody wants to accompany me.

Che

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:40 pm

crog wrote:Guys,

Apologies I don think i will be able to attend Sunday. Family commitments in the morning. Catch you next time

I do intend to head out Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon if anybody wants to accompany me.

Che
Hi Che,
Where are you starting from and what time Saturday?
I'm in the same boat as Sunday morning is out for me, but I wouldn't mind a hitout on Saturday morning.
Cheers,
Tom

matt.blak

Casey Allstars Bunch Ride: Sun 18-Jul

Postby matt.blak » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:52 am

Next ride: Sunday 18-Jul.

Meet 6:50am,
McDonalds Hampton Park (South Gippsland Hwy)
ride starts at 7am.

Confirmed Starters:
Matt.Blak

Non Starters:
Greyhound Tom
Crog
Wilier GTR

crog

Postby crog » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Tom,

Apologies, I only saw your post I went out this morning.

Guys next ride I am in althougth there is a chance for a ride tomorrow late morning pending wifes movements and swimming lessons in morning

Che

matt.blak

Re: Casey Allstars Bunch Ride: Sun 18-Jul

Postby matt.blak » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:01 pm

I spoke to Erik he will be riding tomorrow, I think Jeremy will turn up as well.
Wilier GTR

crog

Postby crog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi guys been a couple of weeks since we rode.

Ufortunately i have been travelling as has Matt so nothing happened.

Anybody up for a ride Sunday arvo maybe around lunch for a few hours, I cant make an early morning due to kids swimming lessons from whihc I am usually back by about 11.

Suggesting ride to Jells park and back or near enough to on the Eastlink trail

Che

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:48 am

Unfortunately after my aborted ride to Tooradin I took crook again and have been on medication the last couple of weeks that has left me feeling tired and washed out. :cry:

While I have started back on the wind trainer to try and improve fitness, right now even 20 minutes of medium intensity is too much and it looks like it will take some time before I can front up again and not hold the group back. :oops:

Cheers,
Tom

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:29 am

Tom, the group has not ridden since then, Erik & I went 2 weeks ago and we were the only starters, so you are not holding anyone up!

Good to hear you are on the mend and back into training again.

Matt
Wilier GTR

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:47 am

Anyone thinking of riding to the Ausbike Expo on Saturday the 21st from the Casey Shire?
I’m game BUT if I’m tagging along better be prepared for a slow trip :oops:

Tom

crog

Postby crog » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Tom,

I am game and cecil has been fixed up from crash. Need a good hit out and not being able to do the sunday mornings at the moment, but will be able in couple of weeks though as boy changes swimming lessons classes and I plan on putting him in a later one

Got a route mapped out?? I have rode to city along both Nepean Highway and Beach Road and would suggest Greens Road down to Edithvale onto Nepean and then up Beach Road to SOuth Melbourne cross city to show grounds

Are you planning on catching a train back else you are up for about 120K round trip.

Else we could put bikes in my ute parck at Mordialloc and do return trip. Let me know I will ask Matthew if he is interested also if he does not see this post.

Look to leave about 10ish for Midday arrival??

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi Crog,

Mate I’m not sure what to do now as I have just realised its voting day and the weather forecast looks very ordinary for Saturday.

The voting bit I can get around, but we may have to wait to get a bit closer to Saturday to see what the weather is going to do.
And yes I was seriously thinking of catching the train to get home again depending on how I was feeling at the time.

PS, Great to read that the bike is back as good as new

Cheers,
Tom

crog

Postby crog » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Tom,

No Problems, may even be better pending weather train in and ride back pending wind direction than ride in and train back so we can get a tail wind. PM'ed you my mobile call or text me else post a message for Friday night

Che

matt.blak

Group Ride: 7am Sun 12-Sep

Postby matt.blak » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Hello,

if you are interested in a group ride, a few people will be meeting at Hampton Park McDonalds Sunday 12-Sep.

We will decide on the day, but it will be ride to Tooradin or Frankston & return, 50km ish, average speed approx. 27 kmh.

All are welcome to join.

Confirmed:
Matt_Blak
Erik
Mark C

TBA
Crog
"your name here"
Wilier GTR

crog

Postby crog » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Sorry guys ,issed it. Wifes B'Day and we were in town for weekend.

Looks like a couple more commutes needed for me matt to keep my slender KM lead.

hope to catch you guys next few weeks leading int to the ATBID

Crog

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Crog,

your daily commutes are extending your km lead!

We had a good ride today, left Hampton Park McD's at 7am with Erik & Mark C.
It turns out Mark & Erik live in the same street!

Rode to Cranbourne along Sth Gippsland Hwy, then to Frankston & up Olivers Hill and return. 55km, good average speed.

With the warmer weather and more daylight, I expect some more peope to appear, eventually.

Matt_Blak
Wilier GTR

matt.blak

Sunday 19-Sep

Postby matt.blak » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Yesterday we deviated from our usual toddle to Tooraddin and rode from Narre Warren South to Elephant Rock at the Cardinia Reservoir lookout, just past Upper Beaconsfield.
The first 15km were OK, then the road goes up. I haven't been that way before on a bike, my compact gearing was in its element.

The ride back down was intense, the road was wet and slippery, we had to keep an eye on our speed, especially around the corners. Total distance 40km, good ride.
3 riders made the trip. My legs felt fine until today, it took me a few km this morning to get them going OK.

Next Sunday (26-Sep) we plan to do a slightly longer ride: Narre Warren Sth - Lysterfield - Wellington Rd - Upper Beaconsfield - Narre Warren Sth, 54 km loop, some hills :wink:
With the extra daylight we will be leavuibg at 6:30am from Narrew Warren Sth, departure point TBA.

Let me know if you want to join us.

Matt
Wilier GTR

Nix

Postby Nix » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Good old Elephant Rock... some nice short and sharp hill around there! Which way did you guys head back? Down Harkaway Road by any chance? (I saw a bunch of riders pass my place as I got back from my ride)...

I might join in next week if that's ok guys - but I'll tag on from Narre Warren North/Harkaway (depending on what route you take)... do you go up Narre Warren Nth road to Lysterfield?