Colnago Fixie Project

OrangeJuiceMan

Colnago Fixie Project

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi guys,

Im in the middle of converting an old Colnago bike which I have had for many years. I did attempt to restore the bike a few years ago but failed miserably. I have now had the frame completely sandblasted and am now stuck on what colour to go with. I find the frame actually looks quite nice without any paint on what so ever... and was thinking of just getting it clear coated. But I am still unsure. Just wanted to see what opinions you guys had. Also if any of you live in Adelaide do you know of any good places where I could get the frame painted?
Cheers

dodgiebros

Re: Colnago Fixie Project

Postby dodgiebros » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Saronni Red 8)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:45 pm

I thought of clearcoat over blast for my project. Loved the bare steel look.
You'd have to be seriously quick to stop rust specks forming. And your fingerprints do horrible things.
I rattlecanned.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Thats the first Colnago I've seen with what looks like a centre stand bracket on the bottom :shock:
Does it have any of the colnago pantographs or club style cut outs on it?
I may be wrong but it looks like a fairly generic steel frame to me.
No down tube shifter mounts.
Is the BB an italian or english thread?

PomFresh

Postby PomFresh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 am

What did it look like before? Got any photos?

I was also thinking of doing the same, and in Adelaide. I've heard Steve Wicks in Gepps Cross are OK. And a place in Edwardstown. Although both have mixed reviews. I'm concerned that the clearcoat would wear off and the rust would start and spread. I got my last frame done in London and in the end went for dark grey powdercoat as I had the same fear then too.

fancylugz

Postby fancylugz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 pm

I agree with Brauluver that looks like a generic steelie to me.
Colnago's definetly DONT have a kickstand plate under the chainstays and the forks are much different than those pictured.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 pm

fancylugz wrote:I agree with Brauluver that looks like a generic steelie to me.
Colnago's definetly DONT have a kickstand plate under the chainstays and the forks are much different than those pictured.
Way to ruin a guy's dream much? :roll:
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:43 pm

uncle arthur wrote:
fancylugz wrote:I agree with Brauluver that looks like a generic steelie to me.
Way to ruin a guy's dream much? :roll:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/vintage-colnago- ... 43a07ca21d

This is what a Colnago frame looks like.
Don't mean to be rude OJMan, but I'm guessing that your frame was just decaled as a Colnago by some try hard or some smarty pants trying to be ironic.

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:11 pm

brauluver wrote:Thats the first Colnago I've seen with what looks like a centre stand bracket on the bottom :shock:
Does it have any of the colnago pantographs or club style cut outs on it?
I may be wrong but it looks like a fairly generic steel frame to me.
No down tube shifter mounts.
Is the BB an italian or english thread?
Yea I'm not an expert on old frames, i just got the bike off a neighbor who had it rusting away in their garage. I would have no idea if its genuine or not. It has got engraved on the dropouts 'Suntour' if this gives you any clues. The BB has got an Italian thread. Doesn't really bother me if its genuine or not, still a nice frame to convert.

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:14 pm

PomFresh wrote:What did it look like before? Got any photos?
Na haven't got any photos of it, but it was in pretty bad shape when i got it. All the stickers were peeling off and there was heaps of surface rust over the frame.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 pm

OrangeJuiceMan wrote:It has got engraved on the dropouts 'Suntour' if this gives you any clues.
Then it's definitely not a Colnago. The 3 brake cable guides are another give away. Then there are other things, like the kickstand plate and the complete lack of any Colnago-specific trimmings.

That doesn't automatically mean that it's junk, though.

Some more info might help to identify it.

How much does it weigh? What size seatpost does it take?

Those dropouts wouldn't normally have been put on a clunker... but the kickstand plate would have. I'm confused.

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:46 pm

rkelsen wrote:
How much does it weigh? What size seatpost does it take?
The frame with forks weighs 3kg and the seat post width is 26mm.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm

OrangeJuiceMan wrote:The frame with forks weighs 3kg and the seat post width is 26mm.
Then it's not junk. Sounds like a cr-mo frame of some sort... possibly with butted tubing.

Worth saving!

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:51 am

Im looking forward to seeing the final product!
Even if the frame is not genuine it still is a very nice frame to convert.

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi guys, im moving along nicely with the build. I've been trying to find some suitable wheels. I've narrowed it down to the wheels on velogear : http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Sin ... 9-136.html and some wheels which have just started selling on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fixie-Single-Spe ... 2c57139ff3. I haven't heard anything about these 'zuzi wheels', not sure if anyone has heard anything about them? Im not on a big budget so im not keen on spending over $200.

Cheers

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 am

spend an extra $30 and get a weinman Dp18 on origin8 hubs from the states, i think the are about $230 landed. A few members have been riding on them with good reports. Might be worth checking out.

Or maybe spend $200 on a good rear wheel, and just pick up a cheap front wheel if you dont mind having a mismatched set.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:34 am

OrangeJuiceMan wrote:Hi guys, im moving along nicely with the build. I've been trying to find some suitable wheels. I've narrowed it down to the wheels on velogear : http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Sin ... 9-136.html and some wheels which have just started selling on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fixie-Single-Spe ... 2c57139ff3. I haven't heard anything about these 'zuzi wheels', not sure if anyone has heard anything about them? Im not on a big budget so im not keen on spending over $200.

Cheers
Velo gear wheels are excellent, can vouch for them.Some reviews on here if you search.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:57 am

OrangeJuiceMan wrote:I haven't heard anything about these 'zuzi wheels', not sure if anyone has heard anything about them? Im not on a big budget so im not keen on spending over $200.
I wouldn't recommend any part off ebay unless you know the brand name and the quality of the part. But since I have been to their website I have half changed my mind on Zuzi wheels. They actually seem quite reliable according to what they say on their website. -
http://www.zuziwheels.com/pure-series-wheels
On the other hand Stars wheels are (according to other forum users) cheap and unreliable and the Quando hub are apparently really terrible so just dont buy Stars wheelsets which are valued at 90 bucks.

Isaac

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Yea thanks for the help guys, I've just ordered some of the velogear wheels, hopefully they'll be here before the end of the week :D

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Well its all put together :D Might make a few changes to it in the near future. Otherwise I'm pretty pleased with it considering its my first fixie job.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:49 am

Well done. The black in your cockpit does make it a bit front heavy. It would be interesting to see what different bar tape does to it - Cinelli have some hot designs that would be work a look. The saddle seems unusal though I know also have to suit your backside as well. Wise decision to paint - I love raw unfinished surfaces as well though they oxidise too quickly when they arn't properly sealed.

On Zuzu, (I know you made a different decision) they are from a young Australian Industrial Designer in Sydney - I chatted with him last week - though have yet to hae a detailed look at the wheels though find them interesting.
Cycling is in my BNA

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:41 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Well done. The black in your cockpit does make it a bit front heavy. It would be interesting to see what different bar tape does to it - Cinelli have some hot designs that would be work a look. The saddle seems unusal though I know also have to suit your backside as well. Wise decision to paint - I love raw unfinished surfaces as well though they oxidise too quickly when they arn't properly sealed.

On Zuzu, (I know you made a different decision) they are from a young Australian Industrial Designer in Sydney - I chatted with him last week - though have yet to hae a detailed look at the wheels though find them interesting.

Cheers mate. Yea I was thinking it would look a lot better off with some different coloured handlebar tape, thinking maybe blue or white (although white does get a bit dirty :P). The saddle is just an old seat I had laying around from my dads old peugeot bike, is nice and comfy though. Would have been good to have that raw finish but it was too much of a hassle trying to prevent marks and it oxidising, so decided just to go with a off white colour.
It'll be interesting to hear some reviews on those zuzu wheels, they look like they could have some potential.