Powder coating

bjammin

Powder coating

Postby bjammin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:22 am

Anyone know of any good powdercoaters in adelaide?, any doe's/don't I should be aware of before powdercoating lightweight road frames? what about chroming of rears stay, how do they do that? I've heard it's important to wash out chemicals they use prior to chroming then make sure the insides are rust proofed, eg fish oil. Cheers

brauluver

Re: Powder coating

Postby brauluver » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:32 am

If you need chroming go to the guy at Klemzig, Nth east rd.
Don't get it blasted if you want to chrome, you have to get it acid dipped.

bjammin

Postby bjammin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 am

So if I want the forks and rear stays chromed, I need to paint strip existing paint, fine sand, then take it to klemzig dude for chroming. Then get the rest of the frame powder coated with the chrome rear stayes masked. No sand blasting required.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:14 pm

I used a mob in Edwardstown for my FG bike.

Buggered if I can remember the name tho' ...

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:39 pm

How about

Edwardstown Powdercoating9 Lagunta Ave, Edwardstown SA 5039(08) 8277 9500

ring any brightly polished bells??????? :twisted: :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 pm

No, they are not the ones...

Now I know, Delway Brass, 30 Conmurra Ave, Edwardstown SA 5039 - ph: (08) 8277 0603

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

I used Delway Brass recently too. Its the only bike I have ever had powdercoated so I can't compare the results to other powdercoating firms, but they had a huge range of colours and I was pretty happy with the result. It was an old steel frame thats slowly being turned into a s/s coaster brake w/end cruiser.

There is another place in Mile End that gets rave reviews too. I think they are even cheaper than Delway Brass.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

bjammin

Postby bjammin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm having second thoughts of sand blasting & powder coating, I've read in other posts that sandblasting can be too agresive for lightweight frames, and I dont think I would ever get one chemically dipped. So now I'm thinking that I can sand (and maybe paint stripper) it myself and then two pack it myself?. I dont think they will powder coat unless it is completely stripped, and as I dont want it sand blasted I dont have a lot of choise other than doing it myself. Yes, i'm fussy, but when you hit 70km/hr it has to be perfect

Skexis

Postby Skexis » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Sanding sounds easy but when you have to get right into those awkward areas then it's not so good.

OrangeJuiceMan

Postby OrangeJuiceMan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:24 pm

I've just had an old frame sandblasted, and it looks pretty nice with no paint on it all, was thinking of just having it clear coated. It only cost me about $15 for it to be sand blasted, now im just stuck in the same position trying to find a good place in Adelaide for powder coating. Does anyone know a general price it usually costs?

alex

Postby alex » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:09 pm

delway brass in edwardstown, probably somewhere between $60-$100 depending on how much work is involved, how big your frame is, what sort of condition the surface is in

have used them for over 10 years for all my chrome/polishing/powdercoating stuff and they are really really good to deal with
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:38 pm

bjammin wrote:I'm having second thoughts of sand blasting & powder coating, I've read in other posts that sandblasting can be too agresive for lightweight frames
go and have a talk to them, ask about other forms of blasting; bead or soda if you are concerned. see here under Media
Tonight I am going to clean up an old saddle frame using a mates bead blaster prior to repainting.

from what I understand, if you are going to get it 'blasted' it needs to be primed or powercoated very very soon afterwards (ie within hours) to avoid rusting of the frame.
Why not go and talk to the powercoaters and ask. Particularly ask if they regularly deal with bike frames, (ie if they know how to protect the threads). I recall that one of the Southern Vets said he owned a powdercoating business at Lonsdale. Try ringing any down there and ask if they do bikes.
then share your knowledge please.
bjammin wrote: but when you hit 70km/hr it has to be perfect
pffft, try getting to some top speeds
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:26 pm

I have a 7000 series Aluminium Azzurri frame that I stripped and resprayed. The easiest - although messy as hell - method that I found, was chemical stripping. A couple of different sized wire brushes , a few brushes and glass jars, thinners and a drop sheet, and youre away. The first time it took me 4 hours and a burning eye. I resprayed it in two pack and had a crack at airbrushing (dont buy a cheap ebay kit, theyre crap)
It looks better in the picture, trust me.
I decided to strip it again which watsed over $100 worth of incredible decals, and remembered how good it looked naked. Still unfinished but thinking about switching back to red and black accents, and since this thread popped up, Im again concidering a white powdercoat.
Remember that if you do decide to leave an Aluminium frame unpainted, youll need to have it polished and clear coated so as to prevent the sweat coroding the metal and blackening it. You may be able to see that in this one

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Before anyone points it out, I KNOW THE BLOODY CAGES ARE UPSIDE DOWN! :|

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:13 am

There are many types of blasting as pointed out, so you can get something that is pretty gentle on the frame.

There are places that do glass bead blasting which is pretty good.

If you want chemical cleaning, try Safe Strip out at Wingfield. They have done heaps of stuff for me, and the guy is really good. Does lots of vintage car stuff, so has a good rep.

My frame & forks cost $80 to get blasted, and powder coated in a white pearl with a clearcoat too.

Glatts

Postby Glatts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Hey Womble just wondering about yiour decals mate, or anyone else. I'm keen to redo my bike but would like to get some decals made. Any suggestions on who or where to go?

sven

Postby sven » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:20 pm

Kent Powder Coaters in Ashford

Well used to frames, but limited colors

Sven
93 Avanti MTB (converted to single spd 'ninja bike' bike - full matt black)
09 Malvern Star Oppy Bolo'dor
10 Gary Fisher X-Cal