Cars parked in bike lanes! Who do I vent to?

Another newbie

Cars parked in bike lanes! Who do I vent to?

Postby Another newbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:13 am

I ride about 20km each way to work - on the way in almost entirely up hill, on some busy main road - the bike lanes are a Godsend BUT there are always f'n cars parked in the bike lanes despite the fact that they are meant to be clear. As much as I hate to dibberdob who do I dibberdob to - the council, DTEI or the Police?

I know they won't actually do anything but I will feel better.
Lycra - It's a privilege not a right.

alex

Re: Cars parked in bike lanes! Who do I vent to?

Postby alex » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:34 am

if you call the council about illegal parking they will be out there with their ticket book in about 3 seconds

they wont move the cars but if its always the same people they will get the message when they keep getting expensive little plastic packages on the windscreen wiper
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 am

It all depends who owns the road. Council's control most local roads, but a major collector road, highway etc is generally under the RTA's ownership.

As mentioned by Alex, most Council's are currently cash-strapped, and will generally jump at the chance to fine motorists and generate some income, for offenses on local roads.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Are you sure the bike lanes are supposed to be clear? Many bike lanes are simply marked as a bike lane, but it is legal for a car to park there.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

liamw

Postby liamw » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Bike lanes in Adelaide, if not designated to be clear all of the time (of which there are incredibly few), generally have times of day in which they are no standing zones - heading into the CBD, 7:30-9am, heading out of the CBD, 4:30-6pm (some are no standing zones for both time periods).

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Posting here is fun;
http://www.mybikelane.com/
You could have the honour of the first Adelaide post

Another newbie

Postby Another newbie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:48 pm

liamw wrote:Bike lanes in Adelaide, if not designated to be clear all of the time (of which there are incredibly few), generally have times of day in which they are no standing zones - heading into the CBD, 7:30-9am, heading out of the CBD, 4:30-6pm (some are no standing zones for both time periods).
Yes, I ride against the flow most of the time - and while I think it is REALLY dumb to have bike lanes that are only bike lanes sometimes, I get it. It is exactly for this reason that I get so precious about cars parked in the lanes when they are meant to be clear.

monbeg

Postby monbeg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:40 pm

There is a section on Main Road Belair, past the Belair Hotel that is a 24 hour bike lane.
It is used by the Mitcham Council as a revenue generator apparently.
In the Belair Hotel a message comes up on their TV screens every 15 minutes or so advising patrons of the fact that the council sticker lickers are fining people $170 for parking in the lane at all hours.
Until there is a legal win by a cyclist over some incident associated with bike lanes then the whole concept is really just a joke.

Another newbie

Postby Another newbie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 am

I should be more annoyed at the amount of car drivers who use the lanes as extra space when trying to enter from a side street... Come to think of it I am more annoyed by that!

gdt

Postby gdt » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Elder-Smith Drive crossing Salsibury Highway is a classic. Cars coming off the bridge drive to turn left use the bikelane so they don't have to queue behind people waiting at the lights. This is turn means that regular cyclists aren't so foolish as to use the bikelane and the whole thing gets very silly.

Another newbie

Postby Another newbie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:49 am

I have discovered a new love - road work signs in the bike lane - nothin' like pushing us into the traffic - especially when the motories are frustrated!

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:52 am

What's a bike lane?

OH!, I'm in the SA forum. Sorry, I'll head back to NSW :)
2010 BMC SLC01

avalon

Postby avalon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:20 pm

hannos wrote:What's a bike lane?

That's the space along the side of the road where you can park your car. I think you call it a car parking space in NSW.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:05 pm

avalon wrote:
hannos wrote:What's a bike lane?

That's the space along the side of the road where you can park your car. I think you call it a car parking space in NSW.
Actually, here in the State of Confusion we call them <drum roll> ...

The Door Zone.

<Boom Tish>

:roll:

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Another newbie wrote:I have discovered a new love - road work signs in the bike lane - nothin' like pushing us into the traffic - especially when the motories are frustrated!
For the record, and as someone who is ticketed and works on roadsides.Those signs have very strict and defined guidelines which means sometimes bike lanes are used, just as I can shut down a whole lane of traffic for my personal safety!
I would suggest if you have never worked in what is a very dangerous workzone, then maybe you should give it atry

Another newbie

Postby Another newbie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:06 pm

brauluver wrote:
Another newbie wrote:I have discovered a new love - road work signs in the bike lane - nothin' like pushing us into the traffic - especially when the motories are frustrated!
For the record, and as someone who is ticketed and works on roadsides.Those signs have very strict and defined guidelines which means sometimes bike lanes are used, just as I can shut down a whole lane of traffic for my personal safety!
I would suggest if you have never worked in what is a very dangerous workzone, then maybe you should give it atry
Point taken!