Mt. Alma

death valley 69

Mt. Alma

Postby death valley 69 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Anyone got any info on Mt. Alma, Hindmarsh Valley? I've been riding The Crows Nest 3-4 times a week but the rev heads at work reckon Mt. Alma is the go.

MichaelB

Re: Mt. Alma

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Never heard of either !!!

Do you have a google mapo link ?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:15 pm

I've been riding The Crows Nest 3-4 times a week

this is so sad...

Crows Nest was on the 2007 TDU community ride, Blackwood to Victor Harbor and was the KOM
Mt Alma possibly used for the 2007 ride as well.

death valley 69

Postby death valley 69 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
I've been riding The Crows Nest 3-4 times a week

this is so sad...

Crows Nest was on the 2007 TDU community ride, Blackwood to Victor Harbor and was the KOM
Mt Alma possibly used for the 2007 ride as well.
Thanks for the google maps. :D Yes, it is sad that i'm too old to do Crows Nest more often. :D

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:08 pm

looking back at my old data Mt Alma WAS NOT on the 2007 TDU (unless you were seriously lost)

donplush

Postby donplush » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:47 pm

I am pretty sure that Mt Alma ends in a dirt road, so not used for any road cycling events.
It has been used for a car hill climb over the past couple of years - that will be why the petrol heads are talking about it!
It is a very steep piece of road, but I don't have the stats for it.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:58 pm

donplush wrote:I am pretty sure that Mt Alma ends in a dirt road, so not used for any road cycling events.
It has been used for a car hill climb over the past couple of years - that will be why the petrol heads are talking about it!
your right... mt alma is found near inman valley (betwwen victor and yank)
heading from victor to yank (west) turn right up mount alma road.... after several kms it turns into a serious climb, which unfortunately does end in a dirt road.... very quiet rural road so not too mny cars to worry about cleaning u up while trying to pump up the 15% gradient (in parts)

Unko

Postby Unko » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:44 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
donplush wrote:I am pretty sure that Mt Alma ends in a dirt road, so not used for any road cycling events.
your right... mt alma is found near inman valley (betwwen victor and yank)
heading from victor to yank (west) turn right up mount alma road.... after several kms it turns into a serious climb, which unfortunately does end in a dirt road.... very quiet rural road so not too mny cars to worry about cleaning u up while trying to pump up the 15% gradient (in parts)

Its a 4 stage hill. at the start of the hill theirs a sign saying no trucks or trailers of any kind. stage 1 its would be a bout 7% for the first 2km (pritty easy) stage 2 is the start of the very step part i think its 22% for 400m then its drops down to 19% for 400m then back up to 22% for the last bit.

a racer in my riding group did it in 23x39 ,he said he was zig zaging all over the road every time he truned the front wheel came off the ground
09 Scott CR1 Team (Died)
Rodman 256
Cell Fxie

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:27 pm

sounds pretty nasty...