Riding around Clayton/Melbourne

jzmalik

Riding around Clayton/Melbourne

Postby jzmalik » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:05 pm

First of all, thanks a lot for the info which everyone has posted here. Really helped me a lot in getting my first road bike. I bought Giant Defy 3 and I'd say the bike is just amazing especially when you get it for $699 :).

Alright, lets come to the point. Now that I have my road bike, I am really confused about which road or you know where to cycle. I have been roaming around on Balckburn road but there are one thousand signals on the road and I hate stopping for the signals. All I want is a freeway on which I could cycle for hours without stopping.

If you guys could help me out here and guide me where exactly to ride then that'll be awesome. Monash Freeway looks like cool place to ride but I don't know if they have a cycling track or a shoulder where I could ride safely.

So yeah, feel free to share your experiences =p ...

pagey

Re: Riding around Clayton/Melbourne

Postby pagey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Ride straight down Springvale Rd and turn left onto Beach Rd and ride down to Frankston and back :D
cheers
Pagey

brit_in_oz

Postby brit_in_oz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:24 pm

Hiya,

I live in the Waverley area and if you want to get a good run then the only options you really have are the Eastlink bike path that follows the road, or perhaps up Ferntree Gully Road towards Olinda - you will still have lights but its quiter and not a bad ride (besides the hills will set your straight, you will by welco,ming a light to give you an excuse to stop the first time!).

Otherwise the scotchmans creek trail from Waverley into the city is the only other track i in the area that you can ride without stopping a good distance. If you want someone to ride with give me a shout, always looking for new budies to put some km's into the legs at the weekend
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:53 pm

You will find a map HERE of all the bike trails in and around melbourne, just a matter of enlarging the area you wish to ride in.

Tom

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Although its only 2.5 K long, the Westall Rd extension from cnr of Westall Rd and Heatherton rd to Springvale road has the shoulder designated as a bike lane. Its a full car width wide and although traffic is passing at 100Kph I feel safer than in the side streets, as all the traffic is going straight ahead. I normally get my fastest speed on the commute home along here.
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

jzmalik

Postby jzmalik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:02 am

brit_in_oz wrote:Hiya,

I live in the Waverley area and if you want to get a good run then the only options you really have are the Eastlink bike path that follows the road, or perhaps up Ferntree Gully Road towards Olinda - you will still have lights but its quiter and not a bad ride (besides the hills will set your straight, you will by welco,ming a light to give you an excuse to stop the first time!).

Otherwise the scotchmans creek trail from Waverley into the city is the only other track i in the area that you can ride without stopping a good distance. If you want someone to ride with give me a shout, always looking for new budies to put some km's into the legs at the weekend
Hay thanks a lot for the info dude. I was also thinking about cycling with someone. I mean you just can't ride alone, can you? None of my friends are into this sport and I don't really have any option other than riding all alone. Should ride in a group, I guess that'll be more interesting.

I rode to the city last year on creek trail with a friend. Unfortunately at that time I had a 100kg mountain bike lol ... I mean we just went to cycle and ended up in the city lol. There are some patches on where one could ride for some distance but again you have to cross roads and change paths to follow the trail and thats pathetic.

Alright then, we should cycle on any weekend if its okay with ya. My e-mail is "jzmal1@student.monash.edu" .. and 0410738831 is my no .. leave your no. and we'll catch up .. thanks again for the info, appreciate that.

jzmalik

Postby jzmalik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:04 am

Also, thanks a lot people for posting useful info. A map is what I was looking for quite sometime now, It'll certainly help in planning the training sessions. Thanks again ... Peace ..

h3ndry

Postby h3ndry » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:32 pm

G'day mate, I'm in Vermont South. I know a few good loops without too many lights, but they're a fact of life really.

Send me a PM if you want a burn. Sundays.
Do or do not. There is no try