New Lynton Belair Urban Trail

Cycotic

New Lynton Belair Urban Trail

Postby Cycotic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:53 am

I had a peek at the new Mitcham shared path to Belair. Very impressed with the road surface. I only rode up it, so not sure about the downhill experience.

Pros:
Good smooth surface
Wide (3m)
Nice views
No cars or buses

Cons:
Steep! Up to 20% gradient in a couple of places (Belair Rd past Windy Point is about 8% max)
Comes out at Caroline Ave Belair which has a short 22% section
Could get some serious speed coming down - look out walkers!

Overall I think it's a great idea, but it's unfortunate that the council decided to not spend the extra money and make it less steep. I think most commuters will continue to use the easier climb on Belair Road.

MichaelB

Re: New Lynton Belair Urban Trail

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 am

Where does it start & end ?

Would like to give it a go sometime, as I use Belair Rd quite a bit.

Cycotic

Postby Cycotic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:12 am

It is difficult to find first time, in fact I missed it altogether coming down the hill which is why I only rode up it.

Heading up the hill on Belair Road turn right at Springbank Rd, then first left at Gowrie St. Follow Gowrie St, which becomes Beagle Tce. At the end of Beagle Tce is the Lynton dump. The entrance to the shared path is to the right of the dump.

At the top of the path, turn left and follow Caroline Ave until it meets Gloucester Ave, then turn left.

alex

Postby alex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:32 am

i have a feeling that the path had to follow mostly existing fire trails so there was not much choice re the steepness ...
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:47 am

Cycotic wrote:It is difficult to find first time, in fact I missed it altogether coming down the hill which is why I only rode up it.

Heading up the hill on Belair Road turn right at Springbank Rd, then first left at Gowrie St. Follow Gowrie St, which becomes Beagle Tce. At the end of Beagle Tce is the Lynton dump. The entrance to the shared path is to the right of the dump.

At the top of the path, turn left and follow Caroline Ave until it meets Gloucester Ave, then turn left.
friggin hell, I got confused just reading it, let alone trying to bloody follow it whilst riding a bike :shock:

Cycotic

Postby Cycotic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 pm

alex wrote:i have a feeling that the path had to follow mostly existing fire trails so there was not much choice re the steepness ...
According to the Hills & Valley Messenger:
http://hills-and-valley-messenger.where ... ists-only/
A staff report, tabled at a council meeting last month, reveals a section of the path will incline by 17 per cent, with riders expected to reach downhill speeds of more than 60km/h before negotiating a sharp turn.

The design along existing fire tracks between Caroline Ave and Beagle Tce is too steep to comply with Austroads guidelines for commuter links. Councillors voted at the February 23 meeting to reclassify the path as an “urban trail” to avoid doubling the $700,000 cost to make it comply through extensive cutting and filling of the Hills Face Zone.

I guess an extra $0.7m is a lot for a few cyclists, but certainly would have made it a more attractive commuting option for those wanting to leave the car at home.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 pm

That $700k may easily be spend on hospital bills and lost work time due to injuries....

Any appropriate signage ?

Cycotic

Postby Cycotic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:06 pm

MichaelB wrote: Any appropriate signage ?
No signage that I saw, but I'm not sure that it's officially opened yet.

gdt

Postby gdt » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:13 pm

It's not only the money. "Hills face zone" is a area where councils are doing their best not to further degrade the look of the hills from the city.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:12 am

Gimp

Postby Gimp » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:57 am

The map is correct with the entry and exit points but the track does not follow that line - goes on the line of the fire track you can see on map
the climb on Carolyn Ave will put many off using it short but STEEP (but not me)

cellboy

Postby cellboy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:00 am

OK, for all of you that have riden up it, i bow down before you, i am not worthy. :shock:

I had a go yesterday

Gimp is right, the path seemed to follow more of this line.
I can only confirm to the point where the path takes the sharp left (going up) highlighted in red, (which is blind by the way) as this was the point at which i was standing on the pedals, pulling like buggery in easiest gear as still lost all forward momentum, could not clip out in time and proceeded to have my first clipstack.

After a coughing and throwing up fit, i turned and coasted back down and easily hit 68kmh before i had to hit the anchors due to stones all over the road going around the bends.

I probably should mention that i am fairly recently back on the bike and not fit, but i did ponder if altering my 39-52t crank and 12-23t cassette may assist. For anyone who knows the area, i don't have any trouble with the likes of springbank or blythewood roads but any steeper and i don't seem to have the weight (96kg) to keep the pedals turning.

Thre is no signage or line markings as yet, and i hope the council is also planning to install some of those dome mirrors like they have on old belair road to enable you to see what's coming around the corner because as it is now, it's freaking deadly.

Having said all that, the surface is nice and smooth, and i for one would rather try to get fitter than dance with the cars on the alternative routes.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:29 am

nice report, thanks.

I or one will; not be there anytime soon. Anyone know if this is a case of 'if we build it they will come' or did the council actually ask anyone and seek expert help?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:45 am

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go soon, but then gotta work out how to get from Carolyn Ave to where I normally go.

Sounds interesting to say the least.

cellboy

Postby cellboy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:15 am

This is from a fellow by the name of Tim Wilson on the adelaidecyclist forum:
"Peak gradient on the track was 27% on my Garmin, then on Caroline Ave 34% (if you go left from Hill St)."

Seems a fair bit removed from the original revelation of 17% as stated by the council.

alex

Postby alex » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:36 pm

cellboy wrote:This is from a fellow by the name of Tim Wilson on the adelaidecyclist forum:
"Peak gradient on the track was 27% on my Garmin, then on Caroline Ave 34% (if you go left from Hill St)."

Seems a fair bit removed from the original revelation of 17% as stated by the council.
27 and 34 percent might be stretching the truth a bit imo

the steepest street in the world is listed at 35%

this is what it looks like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Duned ... ed_Car.jpg
Last edited by alex on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Sumichino

Postby Sumichino » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:42 pm

I probably should mention that i am fairly recently back on the bike and not fit, but i did ponder if altering my 39-52t crank and 12-23t cassette may assist.
Don't worry even some pros might struggle with 20% in a 39-23 gear. This hill looks interesting to me. According to MapMyRide it's a 209m climb over 3.57km if you take it all the way up Gloucester to Belair Rd, that's about 5.8%. Or 148m over 1.78kms just to Caroline Ave, 8.3%. Perhaps sounds a bit like a long Corkscrew Rd and traffic free most of the way. I think I'll have a go at it on Friday assuming the weather holds out .
lost all forward momentum, could not clip out in time and proceeded to have my first clipstack.
At least you had a good reason for a clipstack. My first one was becasue I wanted to stop at a bench and slowed down too fast.

Sumichino

Postby Sumichino » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:31 pm

I finally got to ride this trail this morning(Sunday). It's not as steep as I thought it would be. The main left hand turn is the only really steep part then it stays at about 10% or below for a few hundred metres or so. It is a really nice surface but there are a lot of pebbles and grit that seem to have been washed down by the recent rains. I had to jump over 2 lines flags blocking it off at the start though, they must have just left them there along with a roadwork sign the last time they were working on it. The surface is finished but there are some things still to do(fences, signage, drainage). The Caroline Ave ramp is very daunting to look at but it's a lot shorter than it looks. Also I noticed a large number of magpies, no attacks there today but they looked like they're planning something.

Btw I did get attacked heading north along Seaview Rd just south of Henley Beach Rd by one magpie, he gave up after 4 collisions with the helmet.

cellboy

Postby cellboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Ok, good to know that the left hander is the worst bit. Thanks Sumichino.
I'll give it another go this week, and walk the bastard if need be. (Theme from rocky playing in background)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:01 am

Sumichino wrote: ..... Also I noticed a large number of magpies, no attacks there today but they looked like they're planning something.

Hmmm, something to consider 8)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:41 am

Rode this last night for a giggle.

:shock:

That steep section halfway was a bugger (peaking at 20% on the Garmin), and then the last bit up Caroline Ave prior to the left turn into Gloucester was also 20% :shock: That got the legs working alright.

Interesting alternative to Belair Rd. Made the trip 4.5km instead of 2.7km, and a bit more elevation gain. Good practice for Checkers Hill for sure.

Agree with the rocks and dirt from the rain. Will be a great track once cleaned up and downhill in daylight !!!

Will use it more often for sure now.

alex

Postby alex » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:40 am

you got through it ok though? what sort of gearing are you on now?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:18 pm

alex wrote:you got through it ok though? what sort of gearing are you on now?
34/50 and 12-27.

Needed a stop or two as just getting over a flu, and rode up Mt Lofty the night before :roll:

In better health, should be able to do it without stopping, but it was the 1st go, and at night, but now I know what lies ahead and can pace myself better.

Compared to going up Belair Rd, it's another 45m ascent (205 vs 249), but 800m longer (3.72km vs 4.45km). Belair Rd is constant, but this is all over the place, but a great traffic free surface !!!

alex

Postby alex » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:21 pm

i am going to put on a 27 and attempt it on the weekend, got a 39 up front so not looking forward to it

i have a mate who is a very fast racer, significantly better than me in all aspects of his life and he said he was hurting going up there on his mtb in the middle ring (32) so the outlook for me is not great 8)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:44 pm

alex wrote:i am going to put on a 27 and attempt it on the weekend, got a 39 up front so not looking forward to it

i have a mate who is a very fast racer, significantly better than me in all aspects of his life and he said he was hurting going up there on his mtb in the middle ring (32) so the outlook for me is not great 8)
Only one way to find out !!!

Might see you there :D