Tour de France 2010

jules21

Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:48 am

i think he gets better value out of stage wins. people will remember cav in this Tour more than pettachi. of course he could try to do both, but that's risky in its own right.

bella26

Postby bella26 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:54 am

I can't stand Cav from a personality point of view but I must admit his speed in the sprints is damn impressive. I had written him off after Renshaw was booted out of the tour but he did just fine on his own. Can't wait until next year where hopefully we can see him go off against Greipel who is rumoured to be linked with a move to Omegapharma Lotto.
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:09 am

jules21 wrote:i think he gets better value out of stage wins. people will remember cav in this Tour more than pettachi.
Agree, 5 stage wins is a fantastic result, he'll be remembered as clearly the fastest guy at the 2010 Tour. He also did a great job fending for himself after Renshaw was kicked out. He's finished his last 2 Tours (and in style both times on the Champs), he's shown he can suffer through the mountains, I think he'll wear Green in Paris one day.

He's not my favorite rider but he's got my respect.
FPR Ragamuffin

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:15 am

He may not have the Green but with the way he finished in Paris, that's going to get HTC-Columbia a lot of publicity on top of the other stage wins.
2010 BMC SLC01

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:28 am

Yep, that's the "Chav" image HTC are getting... true. :oops:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:47 am

I think going for green does things to people. When the 2010 Tour kicked off I would have given Lance Armstrong more chance of taking yellow than Petacchi just arriving in Paris, let alone winning a jersey. And I didn't rate Armstrong's chances at very high, although I'm sorry he missed winning a stage.

As people, I don't have any particular regard for either Mark I or Lance A, but as dedicated athletes I can't think of anyone I'd rate more highly. They are both very exciting performers to watch.

More power to their legs.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Is Greipel really worth worrying about...remains to be seen.Yes he does good at the start of the year but no one aiming for the tour is exactly on form there.He rode the Giro and was shocking...couldn't hold wheels half the time.

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Joeblake,
As dedicated athletes, and having "walked the walk" and not like so many here that "talk the talk"
I have total respect for anyone involved in competative cycling, from juveniles up to World Standings,
as I have travelled that path and have met many great people. I have always maintained that just to
be involved takes about 90% of the effort, and cycling would be amongst the hardest of sports disciplines.
So respect to those that put in the extra 10% to reach the top, "respect"
But along the way, some people get side tracked in their own "aura" and put others in danger by their
actions, with no thought of consequence, they are not great sportsmen. Chav, is one of those, for me.
(Having closely observed actions he takes while sprinting, which are just not on, from my view)
Similar to the actions, that got his team-mate thrown out of Le Tour, that were being carried out,
in his favour, and probably by his direction.
Cycling, at this level, is a very involved business, but there are rules, and unacceptable actions.
These are my thoughts, maybe they are wrong, time will tell.
Cheers,
BrentonO

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:35 pm

But along the way, some people get side tracked in their own "aura"
Yes I have noticed that.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Was Greipel sick during the giro? I thought I read something along those lines? I like the way he rides anyway so I'll follow him over to lotto.

I also read somewhere that the deal is all but done? And that hes taking Bert Grabsch with him, that dude is a weapon :shock: 8)

Im still chuckling at the Cavensorous-rex :lol:

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Hang on, or is claiming sickness a cycling tradition for when you dont have good form?[serious question] I understand that these guys are on the edge most of the time, being so lean in the lead in to a tour and going flat stick all the time they get run down easily. Like Cadel in the Giro and Basso in the Tour?

I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of doubt but being new to pro cycling I admit im naive to some of the "lingo" and gamesmanship.

cheers

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Is Greipel really worth worrying about...remains to be seen.Yes he does good at the start of the year but no one aiming for the tour is exactly on form there.
To Lotto right ? He'll still have a fight on his hands getting a Tour start considering Lotto will be all out supporting Van den Broeck. If he does get a start i'd say he'll be one out ala Robbie Mc in his last year at Lotto.
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:00 am

Post tour crits...jeez those lightweight mountain goats have been finding their kermese legs of late... :lol: .

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi

I was reading Adam Hansen's column in the May-June 2010 issue of Bicycling Australia and thought this little snippet was interesting :)
Then Paris Nice came along, which I have never taken part it. It wasn't the best time I had at a race. The IT was a write off. With the battery of my electrics falling off, the chain dropping on the climb and the 11 cog not working it was a nice collection of problems all happening within an eight kilometre distance.
Andrew
Andrew

grw

Postby grw » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:40 pm

brentono wrote:Joeblake,
.... Chav, is one of those, for me.
(Having closely observed actions he takes while sprinting, which are just not on, from my view)
Similar to the actions, that got his team-mate thrown out of Le Tour, that were being carried out,
in his favour, and probably by his direction.
Cycling, at this level, is a very involved business, but there are rules, and unacceptable actions.
...BrentonO
You're suggesting that Cavendish asked Renshaw to headbut Dean, and then to veer off to the side to block Farrar? That's some organisational skills to be putting that into practice during a 70kph sprint at the end of a tdf stage! The man is wasted riding a bike - get him in charge of myki.
I've read interviews with Cavendish - he seems cocky and full of himself when they're talking about his 'on the bike' activities. i thought that was the nature of sprinters though. You have to be a little aggressive and full of self confidence surely? He seems genuinely appreciative of his team, wears his heart on his sleeve, and when discussing off the bike issues, seemed down to earth and pretty likeable. I've never met him so that could all be bs
grw

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Grw,
Don't know how familiar you are with the art of competative cycling, but to keep it simple-
All members of the Team would be directed (by Chav and the Managers) to impede,
while he is sprinting. In other words, do anything to affect any opposition team rider.
It happens in Team racing on the Track and on the Road, hope that helps. :roll:
Maybe your just takin' the myki :lol:
Cheers,
BrentonO

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:45 am

To further understand my feelings, just try the fourth stage of the Tour of Switzerland,
just a recent example, of consistent, rough-house, dangerous, personal riding tactics
(which is not required, if Chav is such a great sprinter?) go take a look, at the video.

Chav, was fully at fault, and in the old days, he would have been mobbed, by the guys,
and had the crap beat out of him, which he deserved. :wink:
And the Team try it on also, if you are willing to look closely.
The start of the fifth stage of the Tour of Switzerland was symbolically delayed by two minutes Wednesday
as riders expressed their anger at the aggressive attitude of British cyclist Mark Cavendish.
Cavendish was held responsible for the mass crash in the final sprint of Tuesday's stage
and penalised for changing his line and putting his colleagues in danger.
And riders from the Cervelo, Caisse d'Epargne and AG2R teams, whose colleagues Heinrich Haussler,
Arnaud Coyot and Lloyd Mondory were forced to quit the race because of their injuries expressed their anger
at the attitude of HTC-Columbia's Cavendish.
"We just want to send a message to Cavendish to ask him for more respect"
... not the first time, won't be the last. :roll:
Bystanders claimed that Cavendish responded to criticism from riders
after Tuesday's incident by spitting on the ground on front of them.
:shock:
What a jerk. :lol:
Cheers,
BrentonO

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:14 am

Hey JV911 ...it turned out that guy with a double camera was shooting 3D pics...using two Nikon D3's.

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:18 pm

And for those interested in snapshots of their cycling, and of coarse
if you have Panasonic Lumix G2 and G10 Micro Four Thirds cameras.
If you’re interested in shooting 3D but don’t want to go to the expense of shelling out cash
for a new camera then Panasonic could have just the thing – provided the camera you’ve got
is compatible with Panasonic’s Lumix G Micro System.
The company has announced it will offer the first digital interchangeable twin-lens
before the end of the year, making it possible to shoot 3D with an interchangeable lens system camera.
For those interested.
Cheers,
BrentonO