Typical Knee Pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

Re: Typical Knee Pain

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:12 am

Interesting. I'll add some food for thought.

I usually ride MTB on flats in winter so I usually have the spindle under the ball of the foot. I get a bit of discomfort in my knees after a ride, but not much these days. Anyway, I have SPDs currently on the road bike and so previously had the cleats all the way back on Shimano shoes but thought to move them forward again to hopefully match the MTB muscle use. As it had been raining a lot here recently, I put the road bike on the trainer and just went for a half hour ride. Well my knees certainly were sore later. Not debilitating, but certainly worse than normal. I can only put this down to the cleat position effectively lowering the saddle to pedal height and/or bringing forward the for/aft positioni of the saddle (both of which are supposed to be bad for knees). I'm now going to raise the saddle 5mm and bring it back 5mm to see if next time I have to use the road bike, whether the pain reoccurs.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Well I just did 9Ks on my mountain bike, the seat lower and just normal runners on and guess what? My knees were painful which was interesting considering, I took off my SPD pedals and put on my old Campy pedals.

So I think there is, something to seat position being to low, and cleat position. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Dazweeja

Postby Dazweeja » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:04 pm

I've been suffering knee pain in my left knee for the past few weeks that have resulted in a visit to my GP combined with a bike fitting at my LBS.

To date I'm unable to provide any feedback as I've been Ill since :cry: (Hoping to get back on the bike this week)

Hopefully the attached may help others suffering the same fate.

A pair of legs, a 2009 Kona phd and a Surly Long Haul Trucker

~~_(AT)
~_- \,
(*)/ (*)

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:51 pm

My left knee is killing me. :( Did 60k's today, it was getting sore after only about 20-25. Usually it is good for 60-80 before it begins to hurt. The pain is always on the lateral part towards the back of the knee joint. I use SPD's with the cleats at the closest to the instep that the shoes allow.
Any ideas what I could try ajusting?
Do SPD (as opposed to SPD-SL) cleats come in different flavours, ie: floating or fixed? If floating ones are available can anyone tell me the part #'s?
Thanks.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:53 pm

Spork! wrote:Any ideas what I could try adjusting?
How about taking the cleat/pedal adjustment out of the equation completely and trying flats for a while?

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Hm, thats a thought. I do have an old pair of toe clip and strap flat pedals somewhere.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:02 am

foo on patrol wrote:Well I just did 9Ks on my mountain bike, the seat lower and just normal runners on and guess what? My knees were painful which was interesting considering, I took off my SPD pedals and put on my old Campy pedals.

So I think there is, something to seat position being to low, and cleat position. :idea:

Foo
Definitely, imagine walking with your legs in the squat-position all day. You'd probably develop an RSI and ruin your Euro-cool factor too!! An article on knee pain relating to bike fit by Emma Colson (Melbourne's version of Steve Hogg) http://www.topbike.com.au/pdfs/ba-march ... colson.pdf
What are these salesmen peddling?

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:04 pm

Yesterday, after only about 20 very casual k's my knee hurt.
I adjusted my cleat to bring my ankle in towards the crank. 36 k's today, at a muck faster pace - no pain. :D