Training diary for first OD event -- winter 2010

SeditionTrial

Re: Training diary for first OD event -- winter 2010

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:09 pm

Saturday 1500m in the 25m pool -- got my own lane hooray! 37:30, yep that is 2:30 splits. :)

Out to Wellington Point and back today with my mate. Really belted it on the long flat sections of nice new bitumen, and would have easily hit 30+ kph averages, but for all the red lights on the way back into town (it was like we were jinxed or something). Times and distance to follow. Knee holding up ok tonight, will see how it is tomorrow -- maybe time to start jogging properly again.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:53 pm

Wellington Point ride last weekend, 59km in 126minutes, approx 28kph.

Today (in this order, with 15 to 30min breaks between disciplines):
Swimming: 1500m in 35min 45sec; 2:23 100m splits.
Run: 9.4km in 53min 30sec; extrapolated 10km time 56min 55sec.
Cycle: 30km in 1hr 8min; 26.5kph; extrapolated 40km time 1hr 30min 40sec.
Total extrapolated time: 3hrs 3min 20sec.

The run time includes lots of stopping for traffic (ran across town from the pool to my house).
The cycling time also includes a very slow first 4km (approx 20kph from my house down to a shortened river loop, hairpins, red lights etc). So in spite of the shorter distances, I think the extrapolated times would be do-able, if not an underestimate.

I'm closing in on 3 hours! :)

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Couple of PBs in the last few days.
Yesterday swimming 1500m in 34min 15sec; 100m split 2:17.
25m pool really seems to help a lot, gotta start going to a bigger one!
Today running 10km in 48min 15sec; 4:50 per km.
No cycling this week... It looks like I'm going to have to take some paternity leave from training for a week or two. Will also have to break out the cable ties when I get back: the 'pies are diving.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:50 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:Will also have to break out the cable ties when I get back: the 'pies are diving.
Dude. No.

Ask yourself - are you a triathlete and a racer or are you a commuter. Only crack out the cable ties if you are a commuter.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:19 pm

@CB re: magpies -- I'll try anything if it prevents me from getting a peck on the ear! Those little b***ards are really dangerous if they surprise you in traffic.

New member of the family arrived last week -- I'm so proud! Fitting in training is going to be tough, but I am still going to try to fit in two multi-disciplinary sessions per week. Sleep deprivation. :(

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:40 pm

Got a ride in on Sunday, hooray! Just shy of 40km, but have to post back with time and speed, they are downstairs on the bike computer... So tired with the new baby in the house, but surely exercise will increase my energy levels rather than decrease them? :/ Thursday and the weekend I'll be looking to spend some more time out on the road and in the pool. Will post back to let y'all know how it goes (I humour myself into thinking some people actually read this!)

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Last Thursday:
Swim 1km in 24min
Bike 18km at 28kph (time wiped from computer)
Indoor soccer (but early knock to ankle, so spent most of the game in goal).

Last Sunday:
Bike 16km at 27kph (traffic lights!)
Run 10km in 50min.

Going to see about a squad for early morning swimming (only really good time now that we have kiddly).

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Another week gone!

Wednesday night swim: 1500m in 34minutes
Thursday afternoon ride: 40km approx 26kph (computer time not available -- had to fix flat tyre, reset, blah blah)
Thursday night: indoor soccer, one game.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:22 pm

Saturday afternoon ride down Logan Rd and back (lots of bogans the further out you get, sorry if you happen to live here), 20km at 28kph.

Sunday morning ride around the river loop with a uni mate and his bunch, 36km at 29kph (but a fair bit of drafting going on).
Sunday morning run (brick): 5km in 23min 30sec.

Plod plod plod, progress is slowing. Guess I would need to train more to get faster (ok this is obvious), but I don't want to risk more injuries at this stage, so will stick with my fairly light regimen until after my first two races in October.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:33 am

SeditionTrial wrote:Saturday afternoon ride down Logan Rd and back (lots of bogans the further out you get, sorry if you happen to live here), 20km at 28kph.
Hmmm - I ride out past the end ofl ogan road and several kms into Kingston road.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:23 pm

@CB: I don't mean you, rather the guys in the muscle cars who think it is cool to yell abuse as they go past about 15cm from my back wheel. I think I was riding at the wrong time of day too -- on the weekend in the afternoon when there were a lot more people on the road... Been feeling tired a lot recently (new kid is adorable but she takes a lot out of energy!), hence shorter and grumpier posts.

SeditionTrial

Re: Training diary for first OD event -- winter and spring 2

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 am

Yes Spring has sprung, the parliament is hung. So far have not been bombed by any black and white birds, so have resisted the urge to put toggles on my helmet, you will be pleased to hear CB. Just got my first pair of triathlon specific shorts from Wiggle yesterday, my goodness that chamois looks slender (wish I could say the same thing about myself). Last night at the 25m pool I did my 1.5km swim in 33min, which is a nice fast time for me (in fact another PB, 2min 12sec 100m splits, hooray). This afternoon I will be going cycling, and will report back with a lightning fast time -- for me -- just you wait and see! Then indoor soccer tonight where the main aim with not be goals but rather defence, sprints, passing and avoiding injury for another week.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:56 am

Well, I did go cycling since my last post, but unfortunately haven't got the details to hand, so I will update that later...

*** updated: 26km, in 1 hour, at ... you guessed it ... 26kph. end update ***

The things I have done since the last post for which I do have times:

Swimming: did 1km in 50m pool on Sat, took approx 24 minutes (for estimated time of 36:30 over 1.5km). Was going to go to Somerville House late in the day, but they were closed early for waterpolo, so I had to scoot out to Colmslie, and by the time I got there, I only had 1/2 an hour til closing time. However, I backed this up with a 5:30am squad session this morning (first squad session for me). Over an hour I think we (me and the other old fogies) did approx 2km, which is my furthest distance to date. The faster people were in a different lane of course, and man some of those school kids can really swim!

Running: Monday night did a spritely 10km in 47:30, that's a PB.

Looking forward to next squad on Thursday morning at 5:30, and also a ride either tomorrow or Thurs afternoon.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:46 am

Swim squad this morning at 5:30am.

Advantages of squad: gets you out of bed, makes you do a reasonable distance (I think we did approx 2km this morning, but the count gets a bit jumbled in my head), gets you used to swimming in closer proximity to other bodies.
Disadvantages of squad: as a slow swimmer, the coach doesn't really give you much attention, costs $10 instead of normal $4.50 pool entry, hard to keep track of your times if you can't see the big pool clock (I am sooo short-sighted).

I am thinking of either (i) joining a different squad or (ii) just going back to training my 1.5km by myself. Suggestions welcome.

Followed by bike ride, 28km in an hour, at 28kph. Hooray! Indoor soccer tonight (last game before the finals).

Ordered basic roof rack from Torpedo7 for $60 pp+h. Thought about getting a nice Thule one for around $200, but in the end decided to go cheap (I have already spent a lot of money on bike stuff this year).

Cheque for insurance from my last bike has cleared (not sure if I posted that already). I don't trust the front fork, but there are some usable bits on it, so I have to work out what to do with it (either strip it or possibly rebuild).

Bad news (for me) is that my regular route is SHORT! (I re-checked it this morning with my bike computer). So all those nice times I have been posting over 10km are actually only over 9.4km, and hence the reality is 6% less awesome than I thought.

Sunday morning my friend and I are doing a training session (bike, run, swim) planned to be 40/6/1 (his preference to not do the full distance, he is soft).

Also, this is the last post in this winter diary. I am going to start a new thread with the all new spring 2010 diary. Not long to go until the Gold Coast Sprintman event people!