Relocating to Perth

Colin_T

Re: Relocating to Perth

Postby Colin_T » Fri May 14, 2010 2:02 pm

sz0h0s wrote: I think of Perth as having no hills, am I wrong? Are there any good hills to ride on the road bike? In Melbourne we have beach road as a kinda cycling mecca, does Perth have an equivalent?
As mentioned by Thoglette, the only hills around here are small. But some are bloody awful to climb. If you want to test your legs go up Hale St next to the WACA (WA cricket ground). It's not long but has a nasty incline :)
Brookton Hwy is another worth riding. It goes up and down and up and down. And the up goes for a long way but not excessivley steep. It's just monotonous. Good fun going down tho, as long as you feel a little suicidal :)
Albany Hwy is another one. Head out to Armadale and start climbing. It is near Brookton Hwy so you can do both if you feel energetic. It has hills that go for quite a distance and slow down trucks and older cars. But boy you can hammer down them.
Welshpool Rd, east of Tonkin Hwy has a reasonably long (for me anyway) hill to climb. It isn't excessively long (about 5km total length) but coming home along there, (heading west down hill) you can hit 100 if you feel brave.
Great Eastern Hwy, east of Roe Hwy is another long climb.

If you want a real nasty hill climb then go towards Manjimup, Pemberton & Walpole in the southwest. It's all hills around there and there is one hill (before Manjimup) that takes about 4 or 5 minutes to drive up at 110kph. It's one long continuous hill that just goes up. There's a little farm house up the top and I always imaging the kids playing backyard cricket and hitting the ball down the hill. Then sending the dog down after it. An hour later and the dog comes back saying "that's the last time I'm doing that, next time you can get the bloody ball" :)
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

sz0h0s

Postby sz0h0s » Fri May 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks for that Colin and Thoglette, good info.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Theres a few 20%+ but they are not that long :twisted:

There's quite a variety of differing grades and climbs but we only have hills really, no continuous long hard climbs.

Flyingporkpies put together a great thread in the WA section and has mapped a lot of rides around the perths hills on mapmyride (I think)
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

roller

Postby roller » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:41 pm

Thoglette wrote:
sz0h0s wrote: I think of Perth as having no hills, am I wrong? Are there any good hills to ride on the road bike? In Melbourne we have beach road as a kinda cycling mecca, does Perth have an equivalent?
The "mecca" here is "round the river" - Perth to Freo return on either side the river. About 55km depending on the exact route. And can include the delightful little climb on Johnson Parade through Jabe Dodd Park
and reserve street in freo, delicious :mrgreen:
inflammatory statement or idea

senator52

Postby senator52 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm

Yeah you can commute from Scabs no dramas to the city. Will probably take you around 30 minutes.