Good Backpack for daily commute

aussieorchid

Good Backpack for daily commute

Postby aussieorchid » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:40 pm

I am after a new backpack to replace my current one which has seen better days. Can anyone recommend a good cycle backpack for carrying change of clothes/lunch and the odd pair of shoes or jacket to work each day. My current one has a waist strap but no strap across the chest which allows the bag to move a little too much on my back so any opinions on bags with the extra strap would be good too.

Pax

Re: Good Backpack for daily commute

Postby Pax » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:04 pm

I've never had one with a chest strap and have never had any trouble in 10s of thousands of commuting k...maybe I'm missing out on something and should try one??

goldy_commuter

Postby goldy_commuter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:27 pm

I run a fluid hydration pack with no bladder insert which go on sale for about 29 I think.

Looks small but I can fit everything in including size 13 shoes, lunch, jeans, work shirt, tools, wallet etc. Has lots of small pockets with side mesh and helmet holder plus, and there's more, a yellow rain fold out cover.

Has two straps and vented section sitting away from your back.
Current rides:
Giant alias '08 with weeride tag a long
Malvern Star OPPY '10 2AF flat bar
Malvern Star Elite '85 12 speed road bike

Max

Postby Max » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:54 pm

I got myself a Deuter Cross City backpack some time ago. When I do commute to work (it's been a while - I've been lazy), it's a 53Km round trip. It's pretty comfortable for the whole ride. Check out my review here. I've since added a backpack cover to it, which makes it hi-vis and able to withstand rain.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

aussieorchid

Postby aussieorchid » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:41 pm

I have been loking around the net a bit and found these two that took my fancy. I also saw a few of the Deuter range that looked pretty good. I am travelling overseas soon so plan to pick up something good at a better price than we can get on OZ. Anyone had any experience with either of those two.

Vaude BIKE ALPIN AIROFLEX 30+5
http://www.woolyswheels.com/shopping/pr ... ts_id/1097

Vaude Bike Alpin Vent 30+5
http://www.woolyswheels.com/shopping/pr ... ts_id/1098

eezz

Postby eezz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I got a Deuter Cross Air EXP from online. Its great for the 20k each way every day and can expand to carry heaps (lunch,shoes,full change of clothes and lunch time running gear). Plus it can go down pretty flat with a light load.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Pax wrote:I've never had one with a chest strap and have never had any trouble in 10s of thousands of commuting k...maybe I'm missing out on something and should try one??
Believe it or not, the chest strap takes most of the weight off your shoulders.

Personally, I use a High Sierra hiking backpack which has a fold out fluoro rain cover. Works well. :)

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:35 am

aussieorchid wrote:I have been loking around the net a bit and found these two that took my fancy. I also saw a few of the Deuter range that looked pretty good. I am travelling overseas soon so plan to pick up something good at a better price than we can get on OZ. Anyone had any experience with either of those two.

Vaude BIKE ALPIN AIROFLEX 30+5
http://www.woolyswheels.com/shopping/pr ... ts_id/1097

Vaude Bike Alpin Vent 30+5
http://www.woolyswheels.com/shopping/pr ... ts_id/1098
Sorry no experience with those specific models, but I've commuted with a Vaude Splash Air 20 +5 for the past 2-3 years and would say it's by far the best cycling backpack I've ever owned.

Good points:
- so comfortable I sometimes think I don't have it on & have to look down at the waist strap to check
- Back venting system comes into its' own in summer
- little sign of wear after 2-3 years
- storage: nice mix of pockets and storage
- waterproof cover works well and can be installed quickly (at traffic lights during sudden downpour for example).

Bad points:
- Cost. I bought mine at Burwood cycles in Sydney & it wasn't too expensive but they've gone up a fair bit since then.
- I drive my shirts into work & don't carry shoes, but if you need to do that the next size up would be the go

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 pm

aussieorchid wrote:I am after a new backpack to replace my current one which has seen better days. Can anyone recommend a good cycle backpack for carrying change of clothes/lunch and the odd pair of shoes or jacket to work each day. My current one has a waist strap but no strap across the chest which allows the bag to move a little too much on my back so any opinions on bags with the extra strap would be good too.
Deuter 28 as discussed in this thread
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ginz

Postby ginz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 am

anyone recommended http://www.mboye.com.au/

cheap, has reflective strips all over the place, carries my shoes, change of clothes and other bits and pieces no worries. comfortable and reliable.

had it for a year and i half and can't speak highly enough of it.

murrum

Postby murrum » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Can't go past Deuter.

I have a Cross City and its great esp if you have to lug a laptop. My Mrs has the Trans-Alpine 26 SL. Both are fantastic packs. I have also not seen a bad word said about the Cross Air EXP mentioned above. The latter two are shown off here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psJC5-AhgeY

I'll be honest, my favourite feature is the key fob!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 am

I am currently trialing an Ortlieb Vario (F7703) and using it with the Ortlieb Notebook Sleeve (F881) for the laptop.

Very comfortable fit plus waterproof and chest strap (no waist). Can also fit on the bike rack (as a pannier).

Contact is importer Allegro Bikes or try Ortlieb to get details.
Cycling is in my BNA

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 pm

I've got an Osprey Halo which I've been using nearly every work day for 2 years. At a pinch I can get all my clothes, lunch, and my netbook into it. Normally, I just carry my lunch and used work clothes (I drive my shirts in once a week). It has a waist strap, which I don't use, but no chest strap and it sits nicely on my back. It cost me $70 from Paddy Palin's from memory.

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:53 am

Ortlieb Waterproof Messenger Bag.. Best commuting pack I've ever used.

Mister Tahwa

Postby Mister Tahwa » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:03 pm

I got a Mammut from one of the Mountain stores, cant remember, was on sale though. Waist and Chest straps, and you can put a bladder in it. It has an in built rain cover that pulls out from the bottom, all up pretty cool for the trip into work, looking forward to use this in Summer in Brisvegas and not get the super sweaty back

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm really happy with the inov-8 backpack I bought off wiggle - sits very well (running or riding), and seems really well put together. It can also take a bladder if that's what you like. It's also very waterproof - I've ridden around with it when it's been absolutely pissing down, and stuff inside only got the tiniest bit damp where it contacted the outside of the bag. Only gripes would be it's a bit warm on the hot days as it sits flush with your back, and it would be nice if it had a few more reflective highlights and stuff (it's got some, but it'd be better with more).

willyroo

Postby willyroo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:47 pm

After having neck and shoulder problems, I purchased an Ergon BC3 from c r c. It has 2 important features:

1. The shoulder straps have a pivot point, which makes it easy to move your head around (especially when in traffic on the commute)
2. The weight is transferred to the hips, the shoulder straps are more for balance and support than anything else

The weak point is the poor internal organisation, however the hugely improved comfort makes this a winner. For those who camel their fluid it looks like it can take bladders.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:26 am

All, I'am bringing up an old thread, but wanted to know what is a good commuter bag, I do sweat quiet a bit on my back when I've got a backpack on so ventilation is a key.
Should look cool, also have decent capacity for usual things one would take while commuting.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 pm

kunalraiker wrote:All, I'am bringing up an old thread, but wanted to know what is a good commuter bag, I do sweat quiet a bit on my back when I've got a backpack on so ventilation is a key.
Should look cool, also have decent capacity for usual things one would take while commuting.
You missed a younger one HERE...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:31 pm

I use a Mountain Design's day pack - it has a cool vent frame that keeps the pack off my back, wide straps (including hip and chest strap), a waterproof pocket at the top, removable waterproof cover that goes under the bag, and heaps of room. I take all my food (5 meals), clothes, sometimes shoes, backup water bottle and laptop.

Plus, I get to use it when I go hiking with the family :)

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:45 pm

This is my commuting backpack, super light weight and comfortable

http://www.macpac.com.au/endurance/endu ... 11803.html

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:15 pm

The duratek seems to be very popular.

Might get this!

http://www.deuter.com/en_AU/backpack-de ... 0EXP%20Air" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Oddly, my daily commute backpack is a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW originally purchased for some of my camera gear :\

Stripped of its velcro partitions, not only does it have plenty of padding for my laptop, phones, etc but also has a built in rain jacket that can be pulled over it on a wet day.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:19 pm

one from Mont. it's mach 2 after number 1 got flogged. :evil: would buy another in an instant.

matt_h1

Postby matt_h1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Considered getting a Pannier by any chance? I decided to get one instead of lugging a backpack to work every day, and my back is loving me for it, it also makes carrying big loads a hell of a lot easier (Groceries and such)