The age old weight topic...

tripstobaltimore

The age old weight topic...

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 am

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this, and what everybody does. I'd like to get a bit of a discussion going.

Personally, I don't do any weights. Not necessarily because I don't believe it is beneficial (I'm undecided on the matter), but because I'd rather be on the bike.

I know Alex says every time this discussion comes up that strength is not the limiting factor in cycling (at least endurance cycling) - but I'm curious as to whether and what extent does the strength developed in the gym translate across to power, particularly FTP. Can you increase your shorter power intervals (1sec, 30sec 5min etc) by doing weights, which can then translate across to longer intervals by increasing endurance?

I'm not really on one side or the other here, just curious to here peoples thoughts (and explanations!)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: The age old weight topic...

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:17 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:but I'm curious as to whether and what extent does the strength developed in the gym translate across to power, particularly FTP.
Very little. If anything it will be detrimental. Unless you are untrained.
tripstobaltimore wrote:Can you increase your shorter power intervals (1sec, 30sec 5min etc) by doing weights, which can then translate across to longer intervals by increasing endurance?
up to ~ 90 seconds I would say yes it's possible (to a point) but that doesn't translate to longer sustainable power (e.g. TT power) since the dominant metabolic pathways utilised are different for short maximal efforts <30-seconds and longer efforts > 2 minutes. Increased strength doesn't always mean increased sprint power either. It can actually make you slower.

even so, nothing will improve power on a bike better than riding a bike. The best sprint training is sprint training.

5-min is a dominantly aerobic effort, so it's a different kettle of fish to 30-sec.

By way of example, the world pursuit record (4:11) is held by a rider with a max sprint power < 900 watts.

Another example:
After amputation I lost ~250W from my pre-amp sprint power level, however I regained my pre-amp FTP (in fact I actually bettered it).

tripstobaltimore

Re: The age old weight topic...

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:38 pm

cheers Alex, thanks for taking the time to explain