Advice on Knicks

splash

Advice on Knicks

Postby splash » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:51 pm

I am fairly new to cycling and don't know much at all about it! I FINALLY got sick of getting "sore" on my bike and bought a pair of (crappy) knicks on ebay. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice on decent quality knicks that won't cost the earth! I don't ride a great deal but generally do around 25-40km rides - I would like to get into a bit more but can't stay in the saddle long enough! I am also out in the boonies in Nth QLD so online shopping is preferrable. ANY advice on ANYTHING would be much appreciated

moosterbounce

Re: Advice on Knicks

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:36 pm

There are often cheap but good ones on www.jaggad.com. This is either event branded stock, run outs, or stuff that has been displayed at events. I find their knicks quite small (and I'm not) so they may not suit.

Otherwise, the usual this link is broken is pretty good value. I'm a Pearl Izumi fan mainly but everyone has a favourite. I spend anywhere from $80-$150 on knicks and the good ones last and last. I get much more wear out of good ones than cheap ones - the cheap ones get very thin very quickly and no-one needs to see that!! :shock:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:51 pm

I actually like a thin chamois, I find Sugoi to be good and Tiffany Jane (Aussie girl), spend a good amount if you can and some butt cream never hurt anyone... and it smells nice

vanwonky

Postby vanwonky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:01 pm

I currently have a pair of Sugoi bibs and a pair of DHB bibs. The DHB are Wiggles in house brand. The Sugoi are far superior to the DHBs in construction and feel. The chamois is far nicer in the Sugoi (synthetic for both brands) than the DHBs which when you walk in them feel like the chamois is doing a dance on their own of some sort - quite disconcerting! Sugoi are at least twice the price though so you would expect the difference.
Having said all that I have not had any problems with comfort when riding even big distances with either - no chafiing - nothing.
DHBs get a good rap here -http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ights-9162
Free your mind and your legs will follow

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:12 pm

I'd just like to weigh in on the bibs v shorts matter. Bibs are much more comfortable than shorts, as they tend to stay in place around your "bits" much better and not bunch up or develop creases and folds that lead to chafing. The downside is they are a bit more awkward when you need to go to the bathroom somewhere en route. For me the minor inconvenience only becomes an issue in winter when I've got lots of layers on and it's cold. Brrr! For the improvement in comfort, though, that small price is worth it.

+1 to Missy's comment on chamois cream. I use Assos, it's good but it 's not cheap.

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Ground Effect makes good gear, excellent for online shopping. Probably not the cheapest around, but certainly well wearing.

Max

Postby Max » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:54 am

+1 on Jaggad nicks. Their sizing is a bit on the small side, though. I'm a size 14, but wear an XL in men's jaggad nicks (I don't like the women's cut).

They're very comfortable, and quite durable. I've had my nicks for about 18 months now and they're still going strong.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

splash

Postby splash » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:26 am

cheers guys - thanks! I will check them out. even the butt cream sounds like it could be a go-er.. :)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:I'd just like to weigh in on the bibs v shorts matter. Bibs are much more comfortable than shorts, as they tend to stay in place around your "bits" much better and not bunch up or develop creases and folds that lead to chafing. The downside is they are a bit more awkward when you need to go to the bathroom somewhere en route. For me the minor inconvenience only becomes an issue in winter when I've got lots of layers on and it's cold. Brrr! For the improvement in comfort, though, that small price is worth it.

+1 to Missy's comment on chamois cream. I use Assos, it's good but it 's not cheap.
+1 on bibs. They are magic things to wear.

+1 on cream. I use Aussie Butt Cream but there are plenty that are good.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Bibs are great but some women need to do a wee often and it is a bummer to take off. I have to say, I love the bibs
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:07 pm

I think the more curves you have[in all directions] the more you will like bibs.

Magnum icecream stick shape=bibs
Paddle pop stick shape= shorts

Clear as mud right :idea: :lol:

check out T7 as well, they have some good value gear.

If your sore, as in bruised soft bits type sore it might be more bike setup related or just conditioning[the type of soreness that goes away with more time on the bike] small adjustments of your saddle and saddle type can make or break your backside. If its a chafing type soreness then yep knicks are more likely to be teh culprit but in combination with saddle/conditioning.

If you dont have any proper butt cream handy then regular moisturiser works ok for shorter rides. Your skin soaks it up faster than proper butt cream I imagine. I dont use BC because I dont tend to chafe but have used the regular johnstons body moisturiser on the 100+ rides as a preventative more than anything.

I hope you get it sorted because I know it really takes the fun out of riding, when I came back to riding I was sore for the about the first month till I got used to it. Combined with replacing the stock saddle and trying different positions until I was comfortable, so its probably a mix of the 3.

cheers

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Missy24 wrote:I actually like a thin chamois, I find Sugoi to be good and Tiffany Jane (Aussie girl), spend a good amount if you can and some butt cream never hurt anyone... and it smells nice
I don't think I like my sugoi Knicks anymore, they've left me with a bit of an irritation after today's ride... Nothing serious and difficult to describe

cobbler

Postby cobbler » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Fred Nurk wrote:Ground Effect makes good gear, excellent for online shopping. Probably not the cheapest around, but certainly well wearing.
I bought witches britches from them, (3/4 knicks) AND THEY ARE TOO BIG ON ME, even the smallest size, (caps not intended) I'm a size 8-10 womens.I think the length was the biggest problem, the knees were more toward my shins. I have a $50 credit to spend there, what else is good to buy from GE?

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:04 pm

cobbler wrote:
Fred Nurk wrote:Ground Effect makes good gear, excellent for online shopping. Probably not the cheapest around, but certainly well wearing.
I bought witches britches from them, (3/4 knicks) AND THEY ARE TOO BIG ON ME, even the smallest size, (caps not intended) I'm a size 8-10 womens.I think the length was the biggest problem, the knees were more toward my shins. I have a $50 credit to spend there, what else is good to buy from GE?
I think I heard that everything at GE was of good quality, people rave about it

cobbler

Postby cobbler » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:11 pm

oh yeah they looked good, it's just the fit for me i have concerns over.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Try a merino baselayer Cobbler. Niiice.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Ground Effect has some cool T-shirts 8) & the socks are aweeesome.

I love thier older nicks but the new ones seem to have a new chamois in them? Perhaps I need to get the men's ones.

Mmm..Ground Effect

cobbler

Postby cobbler » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:07 pm

ok thanks i will check that Mulger Bill. I agree crazy c, i have a nice t from them, i 4got about that 1!

Max

Postby Max » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:40 am

Cobbler, I recently bought a Ristretto base layer from GE. It's awesome. It's turned freezing cold early morning rides into toasty warm pleasure rides. $49, worth every penny I reckon.

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:39 am

splash wrote:I am fairly new to cycling and don't know much at all about it! I FINALLY got sick of getting "sore" on my bike and bought a pair of (crappy) knicks on ebay. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice on decent quality knicks that won't cost the earth! I don't ride a great deal but generally do around 25-40km rides - I would like to get into a bit more but can't stay in the saddle long enough! I am also out in the boonies in Nth QLD so online shopping is preferrable. ANY advice on ANYTHING would be much appreciated
My picks for bibs are:

DHB Earnley (good value for money)
http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360024489/

Any Castelli bibs with the Progetto X2 chamois
example: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C1758

Hincapie Performer
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C2544

I find cannibal bibs good - but I only wear the pro fit sizing, so much more comfy than their standard bibs.