Which bloody FSA Orbit headset for Argon18 ????

MichaelB

Which bloody FSA Orbit headset for Argon18 ????

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:11 pm

As some of you'll know, I'm in the process of putting on a new fork to my '07 Argon18 Platinum (see pic) as i'm going Disc on the front for better wet weather braking.

The bike has done 12,500km so far, and thought I might as well put on a new headset whilst I'm at it.

It seems from the googling and phone calls that it takes an FAS Orbit headset, but there are 9 different ones on Wiggle alone :eek: - and this aint counting the other brands such as Crane Creek, Chris King etc etc :roll: :|

Any hints as to which one ?

Orbit CE
Orbit MX
Orbit Z No. 9
Orbit XL II
Orbit Z Aheadset
Orbit UF
Orbit ZS3 Zero stack
Orbit Z Aheadset

It looks most like the last one, but I'd like some suggestions before I plunk out the cash

Cheers

Michael B

rustychisel

Re: Which bloody FSA Orbit headset for Argon18 ????

Postby rustychisel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:29 pm

now now dear.

My suggestions are,

1) pull the old one out and read what is inscribed upon it
2) email tech support at www.frfsport.com and ask them

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:09 pm

rustychisel wrote:now now dear.

My suggestions are,

1) pull the old one out and read what is inscribed upon it
2) email tech support at http://www.frfsport.com and ask them
Done #2 and waiting for a response.

w.r.t. #1 - there is nothing wrong with it now, and I want the headset for the new fork when it goes in once I have all the bits. So I don't want to take the other one off the road.

Also, when I bought the one for the Cinelli, apart from the markings on the bearings, theer was no other markings or identifiers whatsoever :shock:

davidk

Postby davidk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 pm

would it help if I quoted you the Cane Creek headset on my A18 2010 Krypton?

Mine is using a Cane Creek IS2
http://www.canecreek.com/component-head ... oduct=IS-2

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:10 am

davidk wrote:would it help if I quoted you the Cane Creek headset on my A18 2010 Krypton?

Mine is using a Cane Creek IS2
http://www.canecreek.com/component-head ... oduct=IS-2
Cheers, I'll look that one up. Actually, the one you linked to is for 1" steerer's, not 1 1/8".

The Cane Creek 1 1/8" one is the IS 3 ??

On Wiggle, the IS 3 is not in stock :roll:

I also spoke to Corsa yesterday prior to sending an email to FRF, and they were vague and not really helpful and pointed me towards FRF as well. A bit disappointing from a customer service point of view.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 am

The IS-2 comes in 1-inch and 1 1/8th inch versions. I have it on one of my bikes. Ribble has Cane Creek 1 1/8th inch integrated headsets in stock.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 am

incidentally, and at the risk of thread drift, can you let us know what comes of this Michael? I'd be interested to hear if FRF offer timely tech support: in my opinion its a good way of sorting out the useless from the okay companies, particularly importers and the like, some of whom are lamentable when it comes to talking to real people in the real world rather than their wholesale purchasers. Hello to anyone associated with Masi whose Australian distributor couldn't bothered replying to a simple email, and a big hello to Netti-Atom who have always been attentive and totally supportive with their lines (ie Fi'Zik saddles).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 am

biker jk wrote:The IS-2 comes in 1-inch and 1 1/8th inch versions. I have it on one of my bikes. Ribble has Cane Creek 1 1/8th inch integrated headsets in stock.
On Wiggle, the 1 1/8" IS2 is discontinued, so is it replaced by the IS3 ?

There are so many "standard" versions, it's a major PITA to work out which one :?

Will do Rusty. Got good feedback from Velocity when I queried about the rim for my purpose (Recommended A23, and would do non machined versions if required without issue) :D

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 am

Yes, the IS-3 will work. Don't get the campy version. You just need to choose between a short and tall stack height (how much the top of the headset will protrude above the head tube which will influence the height of the bars (adjustable by spacers).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:11 am

Fired off an email to Cane Creek to get their feedback.

They also have a link on their site to help you sort out which one you need :shock: Talk about 50,000,000 different combinations :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:36 am

Response from Cane Creek :

The IS-2 used to be made in both sizes, the IS-3 is the current model and what I would recommend. If you want something of higher quality with custom colors available, go with the 110-IS.

Gary Maltby
Cane Creek Cycling Components

Nothing from FRF yet :?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:14 pm

MichaelB wrote:Response from Cane Creek :

The IS-2 used to be made in both sizes, the IS-3 is the current model and what I would recommend. If you want something of higher quality with custom colors available, go with the 110-IS.

Gary Maltby
Cane Creek Cycling Components

Nothing from FRF yet :?
The IS 3 is A$52 from Wiggle, and the 110-IS is only A$184 from wiggle :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nice colours, but not that nice !!!

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Need to read the fine print.

Headset Warranty.
With the exception of the 110 series, Cane Creek warrants its headsets for a period of one year from the original date of purchase (headsets in the 110 family carry a warranty of 110 years).

Your grandkids will thank you....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 pm

baabaa wrote:Need to read the fine print.

Headset Warranty.
With the exception of the 110 series, Cane Creek warrants its headsets for a period of one year from the original date of purchase (headsets in the 110 family carry a warranty of 110 years).

Your grandkids will thank you....
I think she'll need a different bike by then ......

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 pm

As per the thread from cobbler re his issues in putting it all together again, and a recommendadtion from Cane Creek that the IS-3 is recommended, but the mega buck 110-IS is also suitable.

Both these types have similar weight (68g for IS-3 and 67g for 110-IS), two stack heights for IS-3 (9.5 or 19.25mm) and one for 110-IS (27.3mm), MSRP of US$50 for IS-3 and US$115 for 110-IS. Apart from pretty colours, the choice is easy.

But then there is the AER-IS version :roll: Stack height is 6.2mm, weighs in at a portly 33g and has a MSRP of US$100.

With the link from FSA in cobblers thread, at least I can now look at the two brands and try and decipher which FSA is the same....

Bugger, as starbike.com doesn't have the Cane Creek headsets (has FSA) or BB7 brakes but has spokes at great prices, and Wiggle has the Cane Creek and BB7 stuff, but not spokes. AAARRRGGGHHHH, but I digress.

Still no contact from FRF re the tech query :roll:

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 pm

AUD/USD about 8950 today so try
http://www.bikeman.com/
If you are shipping a few items these blokes are good value.
Also an oracle for what works with what.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:15 pm

baabaa wrote:AUD/USD about 8950 today so try
http://www.bikeman.com/
If you are shipping a few items these blokes are good value.
Also an oracle for what works with what.
Don't have Cane Creek Headsets, only bearings, Spokes are by Box of 100 only, and have the BB7 and will price match.

Cheapest shipping on a box of spokes was US$43

Overall, not a winner this time around. Thanks anyway

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:38 pm

http://www.bikeman.com/Cane_Creek_Headsets.html

Send them msg and tell them what you need and they should give you options on smaller numbers and post costs. Should be quick in reply.
No drama I just like these guys and they are keen to more in Aust.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Doh, must have clicked on the wrong link when I found the headset sub category :roll:

Will try and send them a message re the spokes, but ideally need to wait to get the rims , and remeasure the rear hub before I order them.

Thanks again.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:59 am

MichaelB wrote:

But then there is the AER-IS version :roll: Stack height is 6.2mm, weighs in at a portly 33g and has a MSRP of US$100.
Feedback from Cane Creek show that the AER is a "race spec" headset designed for low weifght and low stack height, but no pretence about durability.

IS-3 Short is the way to go.

Now just waiting on a response from Bikeman, and order time !!

cobbler

Postby cobbler » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Hope you get the part sorted! I feel your frustration but don't let my inexperience put you off the whole headset installation. As they say live and learn, or in my wisdom, there's no theory like practice :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Well, as a washup - great feedback and help from Cane Creek :D , zippo from FSA and FRF Sports :roll:

In the end, did a trial fit last night to guage some height differences with the new fork, and the Cane Creek IS3 fitted beautifully. Done job for me :D

No markings on the FSA jobbie that came out, so no way of really knowing which one it was.

Therefore, Cane Creek get my money 8)

Another upside is that for all of the hassle, I learnt a bit more for future fun times, and thanks for the input guys, much appreciated

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Good result then!!

You know, mulling over this thing, FRF seem more or less typical of the average importer/agent, which is to say, generally useless when it comes to dealing with the public. Thing is, they want to be wholesalers, but they also want to be representative agents for their licensed territory, and this brings responsibilities with it. I understand dealing with queries from the GP gets in the way of eliciting orders from bike shops etc but that's just tough.

Next time we have a fiery debate about cheaper online prices, the cost of LBS parts and the markup through importers it would be worth considering just what exactly they do for their coin, and how much their service is worth. I'll give a big thumbs up to Netti Atom for their good work, and I know there are many others who stand behind their products, answer queries, etc, but there's also a bunch who aren't worth a pinch of s**t.

I know there's a guy comes on here who reps wheelsets etc, and though he is sometimes annoying because of his attempts to push the product, on balance I'd rather he were on this forum representing himself than not.

Cheers