Veg recipes

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Parrott

Veg recipes

Postby Parrott » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 pm

I posted this in Death Valley's Vegan cyclists thread, but thought it was a bit of a hijack so I moved it here.

Anyone got any tasty veg recipes they can post up? I'm interested in doing a bit more cooking at home and cutting down on the meat. Bit sick of it and beef is dear as poison now anyway. My current level of culinary skill is fairly low but you have to start somewhere :lol:

Aussiebullet

Re: Veg recipes

Postby Aussiebullet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:24 pm

You could try starting with a simple meatloaf but hold the meat, I'm no veg but quite often raid the pantry and fridge of what ever jumps out at me, and make a loaf or 2 for dinner that lasts for a couple days on sanga's or as a quick snack,

Things like:
Tin baked beans
cup of rolled oats or some sort of cereal, wheatbix works too
some roughly chopped vegies, carrot, onion, mushrooms even pumkin with the skin on, or some frozen mixed vegies.
Chopped walnuts, these turn really sweet when cooked.
I also throw in some eggs,if your a vegan then maybe not but not shure how it would hold together when warm
but once cold should be ok, even some canola or olive based margarine type spread would help it hold together when it cools down.

Experimenting is the fun part, l havn't had one turn out bad yet.
Cooking wise 180deg for 45 min to an hr just keep an eye on it.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:33 pm

pasta with grated zuchhini, garlic, ricotta, olive oil, lemon zest.

fry zuchhini & garlic with a little olive oil lemon zest & a splash of lemon juice for 5 mins. meanwhile cook pasta. combine ingredients when done in bowl, top with ricotta, drizzle olive oil, salt & pepper. done! 15 mins. Yummy!

Beetroot burgers

Grate 1 beetroot, 1 small carrot. combine with 1-2 eggs depending on size (beaten) with salt & pepper. throw in 1tsp ground coriander & 1tsp ground cumin. mix and firm up with about 3/4 cup breadcrumbs. mix well, compact into flat paddies. Fry in non stick pan with spray oil for 5 mins each side. Throw onto favourite bread with favourite burger fillings & sauces. done in 20 mins! awesome!

got another 1000 odd recipes of varying skills & flavours - let me know what you are keen on and i'll whip up a recipe for you!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Lentilnese

Use this wherever you would mince e.g. spag bol, shepherds pie etc. You can add other veggies as well. This is just it's most basic form.

Ingredients

* Olive oil for frying onion
* 1 Med-large onion
* 3 Cloves garlic
* 1 Large carrot (to give you an idea of the size, this makes up about 1/3 or so of the bulk of the dish)
* 1 cup red lentils (dry, not canned)
* 1 400g can tomatos
* 50g (sachet) of tomato paste
* 500ml vegetable stock
* 15g/tablespoon marjoram/basil/mixed herbs/whatever
* 1 Table spoon red wine vinegar

Prep

1. Course grate carrot
2. Chop garlic
3. Create vegetable stock
4. Chop the onion

Cook

1. In a pan that has a lid and is large enough to contain everything, fry the onion until it is soft and starting to go brown
2. Add the garlic and stir fry for a minute or so
3. Add carrot and fry until carrot is a starting to dry
4. Add everything else, stir it all in, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or so until lentils are soft. Stir every now and then to stop the lentils sticking to the pan.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Patatas Bravas-ish

Ingredients

* Enough potatoes for 2 or 3 people
* 1 Large onion
* 3-4 cloves garlic
* 1 400g can tomatoes
* 50g tomato paste
* 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
* 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon salt
* Olive oil

Method

* Peel potatoes if necessary (e.g. cheapo unwashed home brand)
* Chop potatoes into 1.5 inch-ish peices
* Boil potatoes for 10-12 minutes until almost done
* Finely chop onion, crush garlic and saute in olive oil on medium high until onion is soft
* Add tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, chili powder, paprika, salt, stir in and cover and cook for 5 minutes
* Add potatoes stir in so potatoes are covered well by sauce, cover and cook for a further 10 minutes

Has gone down well when served over a plain omelette.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Excellent, thanks fellas :) They sound good and don't appear beyond my abilities, going to print them off and have a crack.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:07 am

I was taught to make dahl ages ago by an indian lady and I have applied the basic logic to lots of different situations, including tonight's stew. I don't do "recipes" per se, but I know what to put in to make things taste good.

1. get a large heavy based pot, put some good oil in the bottom and fry some onions down to caramelise them. Add garlic if you wish and any other spices for flavour. One of my favourite tricks here is to put in a few tablespoons of Patak's curry paste. Fry this all together until the smell is overwhelmingly good (i.e. you're activating the spices).

Take all of this out of the pot and put it in a bowl, set aside for later.

2. DON'T WASH THE POT. Put it back on the heat and add a bit more oil. Put in some red lentils or yellow or green split peas and fry them in the oil for about 2 minutes, then add some veggie stock. How much? Dunno. Enough to cover the veggies you're about to put in. Add veggies. I use potato, pumpkin, red sweet potato, turnip, swede, parsnip, etc. Basically lots of root vegetables. The liquid should just cover them. Bring to boil then simmer until veggies are tender. Make sure you stir it often and don't put it on too high a heat or your lentils will stick to the bottom and burn. You will be smelling it for days if it does.

3. When the veggies are almost done (about 5 minutes away from finished) add the onions and spices back into the pot. Stir, simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

Make up a big pot of this and freeze the left overs. Put it on top of rice when you need a good curry.

On the topic of rice, when putting the rice in the pot to cook, add some green/brown lentils ( a handful or so) and cook with the rice. It tastes great and adds wonderful protein to the meal. My lebanese relos make a green lentil and rice dish with lots of very fried onions on top of it called majadra (sp?). Tastes awesome.

Cheers,
David

Mallacai

Postby Mallacai » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:57 pm

i have an awesome chickpea curry recipe.

Ingredients
Can of chickpeas
1 onion (sliced)
tin of diced tomatos
2 clove of garlic
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tbs ground cumin
1/2 tbs coriander
1/2 tps garam masala

Method
1. Slice onions and crush garlic and fry in tablespoon of oil till soft.
2. Add spices (except garam masala) and fry for 1 min.
3. Add chick peas and undrained tomatos and stir till combined. Simmer covered for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in garam masala and simmer covered for and extra 10 mins.

Serve with rice.
Travelling at the speed of slow

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Going to give that Chickpea curry a try when I get home from hols.

I usually get some ideas off the net or those cooking mags,but spun this up last night.

Cooked enough pasta for 2
Cut up about 1/8 of a pumkin into little squares and roasted in a little olive oil.

Then stired into the pasta,250ish grams of Tuscan antipesta (from deli section of woolworths) along with couple table spoons of a store bought :( basil pesto .(Store bought coz our basil bush died) and the pumkin.
Sprinkle a bit of parmesen cheese on top and it went down very well.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:05 pm

As a vego, here are my staples...

nachos/haystacks, satay and rice, summer vegetables pasta

Red kidney bean sauce
Fry onion in a pan
add garlic
add a teaspoon of crushed chilis
add a large tin of red kidney beans
add a couple of large jars of pasta sauce (I like Dolmio's Farmhouse Vegetables or Three Brother's mushroom)
add chili sauce to taste
add dried basil to taste (I keep adding 'til the sauce starts to turn green :shock:)

Simmer until cooked (taste it, you will know when it's cooked but it varies from person to person)

Nachos
serve of corn chips on a plate
cover with Red kidney bean sauce
grated cheese... :mrgreen:
(optional) sour cream or greek style yoghurt (low fat if you are watching your fat intake)

Haystacks
finely dice tomato
grate some carrot
shred some lettuce
make your nachos as above
sprinkle over the tomato, grated carrot and pile on the lettuce
(optional) sour cream or greek style yoghurt (low fat if you are watching your fat intake)

Satay and rice
I take some peanut butter, commercial satay sauce and coconut milk and make my satay sauce before I start. Just shake it all up in a jar.
so, mix 3 or 4 tablespoons of peanut butter, a small tin of coconut milk and a jar of commercial satay sauce together

(optional) fry some mock duck in a pan
add a small tin of chick peas (just fry them up with some garlic if you are skipping the mock duck
(optional) add your favorite tofu
pour in the satay sauce
simmer until the satay sauce is hot all the way through
turn your stove to Peirce until the sauce is boiling furiously
add a small packet of Birds eye frozen veg (with sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower and carrot) or any other small pack of frozen veggies.
when the veggies are almost cooked:
add a small can of sliced water chestnuts and a small can of bamboo shoots
heat through

serve with cooked rice

Summer vegetables pasta
Take 2 bottles of commercial pasta sauce (Dolmio, Three Brothers etc)
Pour half of each into a saucepan, add garlic, bring to a simmer
While the sauce is simmering, boil your pasta
about halfway through the pasta boiling, steam a packet of Birds eye frozen veg (with sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower and carrot) or any other small pack of frozen veggies.
When the pasta is cooked, drain it.
Serve pasta on a plate. Pour over the hot pasta sauce. Spoon the veggies over the pasta sauce. Pour over a bit more pasta sauce until the veggies are about half covered. Grated cheese.

These all take roughly 15 mins except the rice which takes about 1/2 hour.

Enjoy!
<removed by request>

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:18 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:mock duck

Don't mock it!

Mock duck pancakes

1. Drain can of mock duck, rinse and then soak in cold water (the mock duck, not the can :)) for a while (makes it taste less canned). Chop it up into the duck pancake type sizes - if you need to.
2. Fry for a while then add some (well quite a lot of) soy sauce
3. Keep frying until the soy caramelises on the mock duck and it looks right
3. Follow instructions to prepare the duck pancakes you bought in the same shop as the mock duck - probably microwave for 30 seconds.
4. Wrap mock duck, along with some spring onion, chilli and hoisin sauce in pancakes
5. Enjoy them you will

My non-vegetarian duck pancake loving mum and brother reckon this is just as good as the real thing. Even our friend's 5 year old loved them.

Not particularly healthy though.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:27 pm

simonn wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:mock duck

Don't mock it!
That's it. My local coles sells it. It's soooo good with satay :mrgreen:
<removed by request>