I smashed into the back of a hatchback what happens now?

goldy_commuter

I smashed into the back of a hatchback what happens now?

Postby goldy_commuter » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:25 am

just happened 20min ago. Excuses and details aside what happens since I left a nice ding in the back of the hatchback and gave the driver my licence details?

Just found out on the net there is bike insurance. Never knew about this.

Peter
Current rides:
Giant alias '08 with weeride tag a long
Malvern Star OPPY '10 2AF flat bar
Malvern Star Elite '85 12 speed road bike

ClownBoy

Re: I smashed into the back of a hatchback what happens now?

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:30 am

What happens?

I am tempted to giggle. Alot or a little - not sure yet.

Seriously - everyone is healthy is a good thing. And you are at fault. No insurance obviously so hopefully the guy is agreeable. Check with your house and contents first (I have liability insurance when riding my bike as part of my H&C) however you are most likely going to need to fork out the cash. If he is agreeable he might help youdo it cheap.

Good luck

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 am

goldy_commuter wrote:just happened 20min ago. Excuses and details aside what happens since I left a nice ding in the back of the hatchback and gave the driver my licence details?

Just found out on the net there is bike insurance. Never knew about this.

Peter

Glad you were not hurt in the accident. I hope the bike is fine too.

As for the accident, collision from rear immediately puts you in a bad position and in most circumstances, it would be considered your fault. Was it your fault? Did the driver switch lanes and deliberately come to a sudden stop in front of you to cause you to collide? Well, if it was your fault, I hope you and the driver come to a good agreement and both parties are happy with the outcome. Don't make things difficult for the driver to put cyclist in bad light.

J

goldy_commuter

Postby goldy_commuter » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:18 am

the is roadworks that turned my standard round about into straight through only which I was not ready for and the car abruptly put on the brakes for a pedestrian at the crossing after this. I was not ready since I planned to turn with arm out etc.

I'm at fault. He did not see the ding I told him.

Looks like I will have to fork out.
Current rides:

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:37 am

goldy_commuter wrote:the is roadworks that turned my standard round about into straight through only which I was not ready for and the car abruptly put on the brakes for a pedestrian at the crossing after this. I was not ready since I planned to turn with arm out etc.

I'm at fault. He did not see the ding I told him.

Looks like I will have to fork out.
Well, might be a good idea to get insurance for any future collisions.

J

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:57 am

Ive been resisting the urge to read this as I knew it wouldnt give me the chance to say something Dr Karl'ish like "physics normally comes into effect and you overtake the handlebars and then stop".
Now I know I was correct in my assumption

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:04 am

In regards to the crash, I won't advise - you seem to have all the relevent info anyway.

What you do next is visit this site :)
2010 BMC SLC01

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:46 am

Goldy, you mentioned that roadworks have changed the layout of the intersection where you had the accident. Do you have the opportunity to return to the site and take some photos? If the works have been undertaken by Council, it may be worth checking that they had all the appropriate signage and safety warnings in place. Has linemarking been removed, or changed through the site? Was the site swept clean, or was their loose gravel on the intersection? Is the intersection still an active worksite?
I worked for many years in the engineering section of our local Council, and we used to get all sorts of claims for accidents, vehicle damage etc for almost every project involved roadworks. Council paid out on many of these claims, as it was often in the wrong - they realised that it is difficult to maintain a worksite that complies with all standards, regulations etc. In fact, you would not believe some of the claims that Councils payout, rather than risk being fined or taken to court.
I only mention the above info as another avenue, if you think the changed conditions at the intersection may have caused or contributed to the incident.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

goldy_commuter

Postby goldy_commuter » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:03 am

thanx hannos I will do that soon. Only been riding for 3 weeks after not for nearly 10 years.

I will go the household membership :)

May bike is fine. Lucky I was on the giant mtb not road bike. Handlebars need some correction that all. My left shoulder is aching to lift up. Oh the joys.
Current rides:

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:46 am

silkishuge wrote:Well, might be a good idea to get insurance for any future collisions.
hannos wrote:What you do next is visit this site :)
Why would you bother? BQ (and BV, and probably most or all other states' equivalents) has an excess of $1000. Do you really expect to be causing significantly more than $1000 damage in a collision?

Waste of money, IMO. Much more practical to self-insure.
- Dave

goldy_commuter

Postby goldy_commuter » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:51 am

sweeper, ironically the first email I opened was from the vice chancellor saying NO RIGHT turn at round about.

The change just threw me and I was not concentrating on the car infront. All was in order.
Current rides:

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:17 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:
silkishuge wrote:Well, might be a good idea to get insurance for any future collisions.
hannos wrote:What you do next is visit this site :)
Why would you bother? BQ (and BV, and probably most or all other states' equivalents) has an excess of $1000. Do you really expect to be causing significantly more than $1000 damage in a collision?

Waste of money, IMO. Much more practical to self-insure.
You'd be suprised just how easy it is to do more than $1000 damage. Hitting the back corner of an Excel hatchback I managed to damage the bumper, light cluster, hatch and rear window, end result the car was written off with around $2600 damage to a a $2800 car. BNSW excess was $750, makes for an expensive ride that day but still a lot better than $2600.

Of course it would still have been better had I checked into some contents insurance with liability cover as they potentially would have a lower excess.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 pm

goldy_commuter wrote:Excuses and details aside what happens since I left a nice ding in the back of the hatchback and gave the driver my licence details?
they will send you a letter of demand, you must decide whether to pay up or not. if you refuse, they, or their insurance company if they've delegated it, will decide whether or not to pursue you for it in the courts.

you should feel free to ask for additional repair quotes if you feel the one supplied is excessive. don't pay out a cent until you've seen at least one quote.

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Your entitled to 3 quotes {at least 1 from the other partys choice} .As well as if your paying your allowed to choose who repairs.Dont get suckered into them saying it`ll be going to X for repairs if you want it to go somewhere else your allowed. Might also be worth seeking legal advise if you believe your paying for more than you did.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:44 pm

umm.. i don't think that's true. the law merely says that if you are responsible for causing damage to someone else's property, they are entitled to compensation from you to the value of the damage caused. how that is sorted out is between you and the other party, or if you can't agree, they may ask a court to decide.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:10 pm

If you do end up paying up, be sure they sign a release agreeing that what you've paid is the end of the matter. Your RACV equivalent will have a template.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

goldy_commuter

Postby goldy_commuter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:58 am

thanks for the advice guys.
Current rides:

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:35 pm

jules21 wrote:umm.. i don't think that's true. the law merely says that if you are responsible for causing damage to someone else's property, they are entitled to compensation from you to the value of the damage caused. how that is sorted out is between you and the other party, or if you can't agree, they may ask a court to decide.
Only going off when I had a motor vehicle acco.Wasn`t worth claiming thru my insurance and I had a friend that ran his own smash repair shop.Thats the advice he gave me and other party where happy to comply.Ended up agreeing to use the middle quote and they where happy.Sorry if I`ve given wrong advice

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:41 pm

They can also sting you for a hire / loan vehicle while theirs is off the road...quickly mounts up.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Far, far, far better to just sort it out in cash ASAP rather than getting insurance companies and letter of demands involved.

goldy_commuter

Postby goldy_commuter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:45 pm

He got back to me with a quote of $800 for a small ding in a hatchback. That's bull and so excessive! I'm getting the quotes emailed and apparently that's the cheap one.
Current rides:

zero

Postby zero » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:11 pm

If you broke a plastic wrap around body colour bumper by hitting it, I wouldn't be suprised. Heard of them being worth $2k or more.

goldy_commuter

Postby goldy_commuter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:25 pm

its just under the window with no other damage to associated parts. i, guessing my handlebars stem hit it so quite high.
Current rides:

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Panel beating plus respraying the entire panel - won't be cheap especially if the guys doing the quoting know the owner isn't the one paying.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:47 am

m@ wrote:Panel beating plus respraying the entire panel - won't be cheap especially if the guys doing the quoting know the owner isn't the one paying.
Yes it seems expensive, I just had the boot sprayed on a vehicle,( no damage just paint) the price from a reputable repairer was $700. When they are older the colour has to be blended to suit ajoining panels, If it were me I would give them $800.00 with a release signature.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.