Voigt and Breschel Leaving Saxo Bank Apparantely

Aushiker

Voigt and Breschel Leaving Saxo Bank Apparantely

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:28 am

Hi

According to BikeRumor.com ...
Sad news that cycling’s Chuck Norris Jens Voigt, along with up-and-coming Dane Matti Breschel have announced that they will be leaving Team Saxo Bank at the end of this season.

It was already known that Andy and Frank Schleck would be quitting the team to join an as-yet-unannounced Luxembourg-based squad, and Jakob Fuglsang and Stewart O’Grady subsequently announced their departure - and are expected to join the brothers. Voigt, too, may follow, though Matti Breschel’s destination is less clear.
Andrew
Andrew

Chuck

Re: Voigt and Breschel Leaving Saxo Bank Apparantely

Postby Chuck » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:48 am

Wonder what Jens thinks about he constant comparisons to Walker Texas Ranger....

...."Shuddup already wid de Chuck Norris comparisons"

I thought people liked Jens :?
FPR Ragamuffin

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:50 pm

I dont think its about liking Jens or not, its just that they are both cult figures. I dont think actually liking the person has much to do with it.

The bearded one its his bad acting and anti-cool persona that gives him his cult status.....the fact that his IS actually a talented martial artist[well, in his day at least] is only a small part of it.

Same with Jens, its his qwerky statements and the fact he allways looks like hes dying on the bike. Of course he happens to be more than competitive as a rider but obviously thats not the reason for his elevated profile.

Thats my take on it anyway, I like them both mostly because they are different units :mrgreen: In the same way I like Akermanis, I just cant stand those boring, cardboard cutout....one week at a time sports people :roll:

cheers

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:05 pm

Baldy wrote:I dont think its about liking Jens or not, its just that they are both cult figures. I dont think actually liking the person has much to do with it.

The bearded one its his bad acting and anti-cool persona that gives him his cult status.....the fact that his IS actually a talented martial artist[well, in his day at least] is only a small part of it.

Same with Jens, its his qwerky statements and the fact he allways looks like hes dying on the bike. Of course he happens to be more than competitive as a rider but obviously thats not the reason for his elevated profile.

Thats my take on it anyway, I like them both mostly because they are different units :mrgreen: In the same way I like Akermanis, I just cant stand those boring, cardboard cutout....one week at a time sports people :roll:

cheers
Incorrect Baldy - it's all about liking Jens

Women want him, men want to be like him :D
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:13 pm

:lol: Ive heard the same thing said about Warwick Capper......

Who the hell said that you may ask......Warwick Capper of course :mrgreen:

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Yep, but a least Jens is funny.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Yeah your right and I agree. Put it this way I'd much rather have a beer with Jens than the bearded one. They are still both funny and sometimes for the same reasons :P :lol:

Fwankie!!!

Wino

Postby Wino » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:42 pm

slightly off topic, but has anyone seen any good images of Jens with his 'busting his guts' face?
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 am

I would say the difference in the cult status is that you laugh at Chuck Norris but laugh with Jens Voigt.

That being said, Chuck Norris is pretty amazing - he did fight Bruce Lee in the Coliseum and when I last looked, Jens didn't (Way of the Dragon, 1972) though his most well known feature films (Missing in Action 1 and 2) among others confirmed that he was a more skillful fighter than actor - the combination of his skill, personality, long term publicity and Walker Series re-cemented him as a cult icon.

I wouldn't rate Warick Capper as a contender - though Vin Diesel and David Hasslehof share cult status - The Hof has done quite well accepting his status and playing along. William Shatner could have had cult status, like Norris, however his personality let him down.

Thinking about great cyclists - I wasn't around in the days to know much about the pre 90s legends. In modern times however Lance has more tour victories however Voigt is the bigger legend.
Cycling is in my BNA

Yongkun

Postby Yongkun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 am

Jens may not be a bigger legend. Mention his name to anyone that isn't into cycling and most probably they will say "jens who?". Lance is probably the grandfather of cycling for our generation, thanks to his tour victories, his mouth and laf. But for jens, it is his affection for the sport and humour that makes him one of the favourite rider of viewers and the peloton.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 am

AUbicycles wrote:Chuck Norris is pretty amazing - he did fight Bruce Lee in the Coliseum and when I last looked, Jens didn't...
because Bruce was too scared and turned the fight down :mrgreen:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:14 pm

You have to admit though, there is some level of urine extraction when people talk about Jens. Not all the time and obviously not as much as Norris, Capper, the Hoff and Co but its still there. The whole fwankie is my bestest fwiend is a good example :lol:

But your right, Jens is the nutcase mate you can laugh your arse off with and also take the mickey out of. I'd be very surprised if he didnt cop exactly that from Stuart O'Grady :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:28 am

According to cycling news, Breschel has signed a 2 year deal for Rabobank !!!

Didn't see that coming (the team that is...)