Shower at work

rogan

Shower at work

Postby rogan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:36 am

Has been cold only, for two weeks, due to a hot water explosion. Nothing like coming in from a ride at 6C and warming up in a beautiful 12C shower. I've particularly been enjoying the "ice cream headache" when I wash my hair. Been psyching myself up for it, saying to myself things like "harden up, it won't kill you". Etc.

The plumber was there yesterday, fixing it, which was a good sign. He saw me go in and said "braver man than me". Maybe so, but us cyclists, they make us pretty tough... :D

wombatK

Re: Shower at work

Postby wombatK » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 am

:shock: My first reaction is awesome - but I don't know if it's such a great thing to put a 26 deg shock on your body temperature. You wouldn't want to be carrying any other challenges like a touch of flu or be run-down a bit. Probably be a whole lot warmer if you jumped in the harbour - sea temps around 18 deg in Sydney.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 pm

wombatK wrote:Probably be a whole lot warmer if you jumped in the harbour
Yes but you come out dirtier than you went in :)

bongo

Postby bongo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Ice baths are pretty much the norm for athletes these days,after events,I have used hem and rate it highly for recovery.Cold showers I have also done through winter and that is tough.Very different scenarios but similar shocks to the body.You do take some time to warm up again after these, so to be suceptible to colds could be a concern.Saying that since taking up cycling the amount of colds I have had are very few and mild.I would like to think increased fitness has helped my immune system as well.From memory elderly women swim in the Irish sea of a morning on the southern coastal area of Dublin,and they believe with the shock to the system,and increase in heart rate to cope with the cold increases longevity.Some of these women are 80+ and I have taken a dip here,it is freezing,and I did it in early spring,they swim all year round.When thinking about the shock of cold water, I spare a thought for them, they dont do it because they have to.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 am

you can always go for the hot bucket, bring a big pot to the boil, mix in a bucket with some cold water to suit and use a smaller pourer to distribute over your body. billions of asians can't be wrong :)

andyg

Postby andyg » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:24 am

Rogan you shall be pleased to hear that all 8 showers at my work are functioning perfectly. :twisted:

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:25 am

The showers at my work have been being renovated for months now so only cold water...so I've left my 20l camping shower at work. I fill it with hot water from the sink plus jug (to get the heat a bit higher) then hang it in the shower (luckily ther is a good solid old pipe to do that from). Takes extra time but better than a cold shower :D

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 pm

bongo wrote:Ice baths are pretty much the norm for athletes these days,after events,I have used hem and rate it highly for recovery.Cold showers I have also done through winter and that is tough.Very different scenarios but similar shocks to the body
The scientific evidence for effectiveness of ice baths is not conclusive, so your rating could be well-founded - or it might be due to placebo effects. But you'd have to doubt that a cold shower has anything like the chilling muscles to the core effect of a tepid or ice-cold bath. Why would anyone go to the trouble of making ice/tepid baths, if a simple cold shower could do the same trick ?

Did you follow your ice-baths with a warm shower ? It is often suggested that you do so to warm-up afterwards and prevent muscles getting too stiff and tense.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

bongo

Postby bongo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Yup, warm shower after ice bath, and no shower and bath are not the same, except for the fact that they are both cold.Agree the same recovery benefits would not be possible but it still takes your breath away when the cold water hits the skin.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Wish I had a shower at work....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Ah the benefit of having a gym membership, doesn't seem to matter where I work, there's a gym nearby
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?