Federal petition for

The Womble

Federal petition for

Postby The Womble » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Well here it is. The first thread on this forum (that I know of) aimed at focusing on the TWO(2) most important actions you all feel that we need to take as a community, to make cycling safer, more viable to more people, and make drivers more responsible and more aware.
This thread is for the purpose of seeking change at a FEDERAL level. The helmet debate WILL NOT play any part in this discussion at this time.

As briefly as I can put it, here is the first course of action that I would propose: Creating a "vulnerable road users" law where motorists are prima facie responsible for injuries to cyclists and pedestrians they collide with.
As has been stated previously, those countries which have introduced such laws whether by legislation or by precident, have found them to be of benefit, and have resulted in drivers percieving us as having a more substantial right to share the road...

Tag!

The Womble

Re: Federal petition for

Postby The Womble » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Wouldnt you know it! After chasing each other round the milking shed with your opinions for a whole TWO DAYS... when your actually asked for your opinions for the purpose of taking ACTUAL action, you all run for the gate! :shock: oh my DELETED BY MOD
Last edited by AUbicycles on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Says: C'mon Womble - family forum - lets keep our language in check.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:51 pm

The Womble wrote:Wouldnt you know it! After chasing each other round the milking shed with your opinions for a whole TWO DAYS... when your actually asked for your opinions for the purpose of taking ACTUAL action, you all run for the gate! :shock: oh my *******
I see 30 minutes between this post and the op...
Be patient grasshopper , and they wil come...

I am here..

How can I help.?
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Your thoughts on safer cycling, and you must assume you already wear a helmet covered by a larger helmet and that you enjoy, nay, truely cherish the opportunity to do so being that you are an Australian

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Weeeeeelll, if it'll shut you up for a minute.... :wink:

All learner drivers to have x hours mandatory bike time before they are let loose with an engine...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:00 pm

The Womble wrote:Your thoughts on safer cycling, and you must assume you already wear a helmet covered by a larger helmet and that you enjoy, nay, truely cherish the opportunity to do so being that you are an Australian
so my thoughts are useless then...
(i'm only a resident, not aussie....)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Weeeeeelll, if it'll shut you up for a minute.... :wink:

All learner drivers to have x hours mandatory bike time before they are let loose with an engine...
i like that....

Or all learners have to waer a helmet while drivng their cars... 8)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Minimum size for headlights and taillights.
Some of the lights I see are just plain ridiculous, as you only notice them when about 50mtrs away! :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:06 pm

...and I am not a resident and only an "aussie" because I needed to get my wife in...and then we left anyway...although we may be back...and with that thought I TRUELY cringe in regards to having to ride in Sydney again.
But a TV show with a cute loveable hottie trying to make it a a sydney courier and getting caught up with in a sydney crime gang while trying to avoid 2 tonne black mercs driven by 2 million $ suits on a crusade...slowly having the population of aus fall in love with her and therefore thinking of her everytime they pass a cyclist "carefully" might work?...maybe it can replace A Current Affair?...or it could be the new Home & Away!.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 pm

toolonglegs wrote:...and I am not a resident and only an "aussie" because I needed to get my wife in...and then we left anyway...although we may be back...and with that thought I TRUELY cringe in regards to having to ride in Sydney again.
But a TV show with a cute loveable hottie trying to make it a a sydney courier and getting caught up with in a sydney crime gang while trying to avoid 2 tonne black mercs driven by 2 million $ suits on a crusade...slowly having the population of aus fall in love with her and therefore thinking of her everytime they pass a cyclist "carefully" might work?...maybe it can replace A Current Affair?...or it could be the new Home & Away!.
I read it more then once, but what are you trying to say here... :?
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Parker

Postby Parker » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 pm

damhooligan wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Weeeeeelll, if it'll shut you up for a minute.... :wink:

i like that....

I'm still learning to drive... I think this is a good idea, I'll start doing this from now on

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:16 pm

Parker wrote:
damhooligan wrote:
i like that....

I'm still learning to drive... I think this is a good idea, I'll start doing this from now on
And make sure you tell all your mates who also are stil on learners, and encourage them to do the same.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:36 pm

What am I trying to say?...well unless the public has attains some compassion for cyclists then nothing will ever change...bigger fines and stronger laws might hit peoples wallets but only after they have intruded into a veloist's space...might be too late then.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 pm

1: Remove the import duty exemption for all 4WD SUVs and substitute a rebate for demonstrated primary purpose usage in primary activity. That'll keep the farmers happy - better resale value. ;)
2: +1 to the vulnerable road users law - introduce to Australian Road Rules to put pressure on States to follwo suit
3: Reintroduce indexing for federal fuel taxes
4: Introduce congestion taxes for entry into the CBD of State capitals (probably out of scope for Federal jurisdiction)

John H

Postby John H » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Toolonglegs makes a very salient point. Many issues are addressed by our Soap Operas such as Home & Away, Neighbours, Packed to the Rafters etc,. A thread through their storylines relating positively to cycling would be beneficial in educating young people on the issues surrounding cycling in Home & Away & neighbours, whilst the same could be achieved with adults through Packed to the Rafters.

Just a simple storyline - Packed: A character has a heart/health/weight scare & decides to take up cycling for the health benefits - could focus on road rules, learning to ride, road rage issues could include ride to work, ride to school projects. Doesn't have to be a full on story, just a thread that runs through the storyline for a while. Any scriptwriters out there with a sympathetic leaning towards cycling that can help?

Works with advertising & issues such as women's health, aged care etc,.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:34 pm

trailgumby wrote:1: Remove the import duty exemption for all 4WD SUVs and substitute a rebate for demonstrated primary purpose usage in primary activity. That'll keep the farmers happy - better resale value. ;)
+Infinity-1 If you wanna talk about not paying enough "road tax"...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:14 am

John H wrote:Toolonglegs makes a very salient point. Many issues are addressed by our Soap Operas such as Home & Away, Neighbours, Packed to the Rafters etc,. A thread through their storylines relating positively to cycling would be beneficial in educating young people on the issues surrounding cycling in Home & Away & neighbours, whilst the same could be achieved with adults through Packed to the Rafters.

Just a simple storyline - Packed: A character has a heart/health/weight scare & decides to take up cycling for the health benefits - could focus on road rules, learning to ride, road rage issues could include ride to work, ride to school projects. Doesn't have to be a full on story, just a thread that runs through the storyline for a while. Any scriptwriters out there with a sympathetic leaning towards cycling that can help?

Works with advertising & issues such as women's health, aged care etc,.
You do realise that our governments have SFA to do with decision-making on these aspects? (Just bearing inmind the thread title :idea: )

I'd love to see a mandatory indexed refund charge on all beverage containers, starting at about 50c to make it worthwhle. SA was marvellous for the TOTAL ABSENCE of broken glass on roadsides.

Oh, yes. +1 to all the other ideas put forward so far.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:25 am

The inclusion of safe driving techniques around cyclists on the road in all learner driver programs, including the inclusion of appropriate questions regarding cyclists in the written segment.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:40 am

As someone else posted tounge-in-cheek in another section of this forum, re-testing of all drivers say every 5 years. Theory and practical.

JohnH has a good point too (some tv shows having a cycling storylines incorporated) that might have a positive influence on motorist and cyclist behaviour. Life imitates art they say. People are very influenced (possibly subliminaly) by what they see celebrities do. People want to be seen to be cool and fit in. I'm sure cycling is influenced by TdF and more people get on their bikes or even buy new bikes while it is on.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 am

trailgumby wrote:1: Remove the import duty exemption for all 4WD SUVs and substitute a rebate for demonstrated primary purpose usage in primary activity. That'll keep the farmers happy - better resale value. ;)
2: +1 to the vulnerable road users law - introduce to Australian Road Rules to put pressure on States to follwo suit
3: Reintroduce indexing for federal fuel taxes
4: Introduce congestion taxes for entry into the CBD of State capitals (probably out of scope for Federal jurisdiction)
1. has basically been done - they were reducing it down to car levels, not sure if it's there yet but the difference is now small.
3. there is GST which is effectively indexed, but yeah the 38 cent excise is fixed so it loses ground
4. they should just introduce road user charging as per Henry Tax Review recommendation - go the whole hog

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:52 am

jules21 wrote:1. has basically been done - they were reducing it down to car levels, not sure if it's there yet but the difference is now small.
The car tariff was 10%, due to come down to 5% this year. Not sure whether it has or not. Assuming it has then the sudsidy I'm paying to a 4WD owner is still considerable.

Say the trade price landed for a Toyota Landcrusher is $40,000. That still means the import subsidy from the exemption is $2000, if the tariff is still 10% it is $4000. That's the discount that taxpayers are paying to every 4WD owner. I'd rather keep it in taxpayers hands and support a susidy to people to buy bikes and gear.
Mandatory helmet law?

triode

Postby triode » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Heavy tax on sedan more than 3l engine.
Minimum 3 passenger on city area, specially on 7 seater private car in certain hour.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Trouble is the cycling commute won't work together enough. We have enough numbers but some groups don't think other groups rate mention. If every cycling group, in every city and every state worked together and lobby government we could get things change.
Why there are small very noise minority groups that get laws change to suit themselves but us as a rather large group can't get noticed enough.

Why don't a group of cyclist get together and try and get a senate seat. They have shooters party seats and other minorities have managed to get into senate and I'd believe there are more cyclist than shooters.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Mulger bill wrote:All learner drivers to have x hours mandatory bike time before they are let loose with an engine...
+ 1 from me and maybe only a graduation to to motorcycle engine of limited capcity only after their mandatory "pedal plate" time......... before being given the privilege of attempting a car / vehicle licence......

The road awareness gained from riding 'two wheels' of both types and being so exposed to larger vehicles and the potential associated hazzards is the insight young drivers need IMHO........ my 20 cents worth....... there you have it.......
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Tax incentives to facilitate employers giving payments to people who cycle to work.

http://www.cycling-embassy.dk/2010/07/1 ... commuting/

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/ ... muter-act/
Mandatory helmet law?