Progear Velocita Road bike (new)

Peter C

Progear Velocita Road bike (new)

Postby Peter C » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:01 am

I have found a New Progear Velocita road bike it has been reduced down to $825.00. It comes with full Tiagra groupset which includes the Tiagra brakes, Shimano WH R500 wheels, Carbon chain stay, carbon fork and 5 year warranty. Is progear a reasonable brand bike and at this price does it represent good value for money.

FRAME Alloy with Carton Chain Stay
FRAME SIZE 50 54 57 60 62cm
FORK Carbon Integrated
HANDLE BAR 6061 Alloy
HEAD STEM Integrated Alloy
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano Tiagra
SEAT PILLAR Alloy Micro Adjust
STI SHIFTER Shimano Tiagra 9SP
DERAILUER Shimano Tiagra
CRANKSET Shimano Tiagra 39/52T
CASSETTE Shimano HG-70 9sp 12-25T
CHAIN Shimano HG-53
BRAKE CALIPER Shimano Tiagra
HUB Sealed Cartridge Cassette
WHEEL Shimano WH-R500
TYRES Kenda 700C X 23C
COLOUR Polish

antipodean

Re: Progear Velocita Road bike (new)

Postby antipodean » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:15 pm

It looks like great value...if it fits buy it!

steerpike

Postby steerpike » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Peter, I have one. Bought it about 4 years ago at a bike shop closing down sale in Brisbane. Said that the RRP was $1400, and I got it for half price $700. It has been a great bike- nice and light, with plenty of performance (more than I can use anyway). I've ridden it about 4000 km or so. I've ridden it in the Brisbane to Gold Coast (100km) ride for the last 3 years. I'll let you know the things that went wrong, but you should note that these are not meant to infer that the bike isn't any good. On the contrary, it's been overall a great bargain bike with a ton of performance for the low price. Try to get carbon forks and seat stays for that price. Many people have assumed that it is a high end bike, because it looks so good (tear drop shaped naked silver aluminium tubing with the carbon ends), and when you wind it up, it goes hard.
1. It has high tensile steel brake cables. I found that sweat dripped off my chin and landed on the spot where the rear brake cable emerged from the cable housing on the top tube. It eventually corroded and seized up entirely. I got the steel cables replaced in stainless steel.
2. I fell off and bent the rear derailleur hanger. Needed a pricey replacement from Melbourne.
That's it.
$825 sounds like a great price. I'd go for it again.
Just as an aside, I lashed out last December and got a Colnago C50. It IS a nicer ride, but the Velocita still doesn't show up too badly by comparison. The Colnago is not 15 times better.
I also have a Progear CX400, an aluminium framed hybrid, bought about 9 years ago and still going strong.
I understand that Progear is a Victorian crowd imports the bikes from a Chinese manufacturer (who doesn't ?). Progear has been around for quite a while, and provide good value for money in my opinion.

Peter C

Postby Peter C » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks Steerpike for that excellent review I think I will go for the Progear Velocita. This will be my first Road Bike so I am not looking for a top end bike but like everyone appreciate value for money. The bike does feel very light would you know if its 7005 or 6xxx aluminium and/or the bikes weight? Thanks

steerpike

Postby steerpike » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Peter, Just ducked downstairs and had a look. It doesn't mention what alloy it is. Mine is a 57cm frame, and I'd put the weight at a genuine 8.7 kg all up. Don't believe the quoted weights- they are invariably optimistic (and probably small frames). My Colnago is 8.4 kg, in the same frame size (the road test quoted a weight of 7.4 kg, but they had fancier wheels). If it is your first road bike, then you won't be disappointed. They do go really well.

Peter C

Postby Peter C » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Steerpike
I purchased the bike today and made time for a quick 15k ride. Having only ridden a mountain bike for the past 5 years it was something new to me. In comparison to my mountain bike it feels very responsive and much much faster. I am going to fit a computer and that will show me how much faster it really is. The seat I am told is good quality but is a lot harder than my MTB seat so it will take some getting used to along with the riding position. The bike welds are very well done, its light, carbon fork, carbon chain stay and full Tiagra so I think it offered good value for money especially when compared to other well known brands with a similiar set up. I look forward to getting used to it and doing some serious Klms Thanks again for your review.

Tillyschembri

Postby Tillyschembri » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 pm

I have had a Progear bike since 2006 and it is STILL going. I have loved this bike so much and only now am I thinking i should probably get an upgrade with all the new tech that has emerged. I haven't had any problems at all come to think of it? I had to change the handle bar grips and saddle eventually but apart from that it still even has the same tyres.