Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

yyeric

Re: Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

Postby yyeric » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:34 pm

coincidently just emailed him to see if he can have a look for me together with the dynamo wheel building. :)

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Got Ian Downing to have a look at the bike.

Clicking noise gone, everything tuned. Best value of money I have spent on bike so far.

Took a good 2 hours though, but I think it's well worth it.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:09 pm

What was the cause?

He must have been happy - he put a Llewellyn together last night, belongs to one of the guys from work. Frame ordered Feb last year!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:21 pm

He did mention the blue Llewellyn that he built yesterday.

Appointment booked in at 7PM, didn't start until 9PM, and finished at 2AM the next day? His word.

He also rides a very very nice red Llewellyn too.

It's probably a combination of different parts. Firstly, crack not as tight as they should and also the seatpost (same as you?)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:00 pm

2AM finish eh? And the owner lives out near Queanbeyan. That's Ian for you. :)

Yep - crank had fret marks on the spindle, so I loctite'd it in place using high strength anti-tamper... I *think* I'll be able to get it apart again. :roll:

The actual clicking noise was coming from the seat post due to water ingress. The post/seat tube are not a good fit. It was originally 25.4, but got reamed to suit the 25.8 post I had - badly. I must chase up and find out where my refurbished frame is up to, and then build that one up.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 pm

twizzle wrote:Ian Downing, by appointment, and he works at Ian pace and you have to be present for him to work on your bike.
Cool, I like the sound of that.

Slightly tardy experience at a Braddon shop.

I was recently crashed into by another bike on my way to work and it totalled my back wheel. Carried the bloody thing all the way to a local workshop. They replaced the wheel, same brand, different model. Got the bike back with a nice new wheel, but they neglected to transfer the reflector to the new wheel and didn't supply a valve cap. Oh, and the mudguard was still rubbing on the tyre, same as it was just after the crash. Small fry, but noted.

I'm annoyed about it because I deliberately left the reflectors on the wheels because I commute daily, all year round - lots of riding in the dark.

Edited.
Last edited by Fletcher on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm

i had a good experience with smith cycles..... after reading on here, i decided to call them to get my bike serviced and a new tyre.

time frame was acceptable, and they delivered.
service was excellent

prices were pretty good too, so i was happy

will def head back there
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

Sia

Postby Sia » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:20 pm

HAKS wrote:Time for a plug for Onya Civic & Belco. I've been hunting down a new road bike ($4k budget) the past few weeks and their service was brilliant and I ended up getting my bike from the Civic store. I went to pretty much every other shop in Canberra and while Cycle City, Lonsdales, Bike Culture and Ride Shop were all also very good Onya was the top. Pretty much all the other shops were average (Smiths was closed so exclude them). The main thing that stood out with Onya Belco was they didn't try sell me the $4k bike straight away, quite the opposite. I explained my situation ie. ride for fitness, did 6000km last year, aiming for more this year and the bike they recommended was a $1500 Giant. I then explaining a had a little more money to play with and was after Ultegra so the TCR Adv1 came into picture. They spent about an hour with me just talking road bikes, different technologies etc which really inspired confidence. There was no pressure to buy at any time.

I actually had wanted to avoid the TCR Adv1 but in the end nothing else in the $4k bracket came close to it in ride & value for money. A few other shops didn't even really serve me and the few that did quickly pushed me towards $5k offerings even though I said my limit was $4k. In the end I went to Onya Civic as they offered a interest free finance option. Before I went into the store I decided on a cash price I would except. Had a chat to Gareth who I bought MTB bikes off years ago when he was at the bike shed and asked what cash price he could do. Bingo!!!! He offered me $3500 which was what I had said to myself I would except. Other Giant stores I had spoken to wouldn't budge from the $4k RRP (Belco Onya excluded). This was at 3pm on Wednesday. He said they had 1 in a box in my size and could build it up within 1.5hr (mind you the shop was extremely busy). I came back 90min later to my bike built and ready to rock. Then spent an hour or so getting a comprehensive bike fit done with one of his staff who again really inspired confidence in me. They fitted me up on the trainer, checking seat hight, stem position, even cleat alignment which had nothing to do with the bike. After the trainer session I rode around outside and the staff member watched my cycling action and then made a few more changes. They also offered to do another fit/ readjustment should I find it uncomfortable etc after the first few weeks. So come 5.30pm Wed I was at my folks house in Dickson riding my new bike :lol: . So I got great service, a great price and they did everything to make sure I was on my bike ASAP yet at no time I felt any pressure to go ahead with the purchase etc.

Summing up, I highly recommend Onya Bike Civic & Belco!! Remember those 2 are owned separately from the other 3 stores.
I agree completely. I bought a TCR Advanced 1 a couple of weeks ago from their Civic store, and the service/price was very impressive.

Discount on the bike+shoes+pedals, tick!
Further discount on accessories, tick!
Freebies thrown in, tick!
Fantastic staff, tick!
Fantastic staff staying back after shop's closed to install accessories (computer etc) on bike, massive tick!!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Good to hear :)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:17 pm

I went to Velo Kingston this morning. It's a combined coffee shop and bike shop - like Greengrocer in Goulburn (but without the fruit and vegies). They only had a few bikes there but a good range of mostly high end parts (carbon wheels etc) and clothing. Friendly staff too. Opened up early especially for us.

Zac150

Postby Zac150 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:03 pm

After 3 or 4 weeks of searching for a bike throughout Canberra, I thought I would put down my experience and give a few bike shops a plug.

The background to the story is that my bike was damaged in a car accident, and on inspection by the insurance agent they agreed to replace the bike. This lead to an extensive search, being 5 foot 3, I needed a small frame and many suppliers had simply sold out, yet many dealers were happy to impart thier knowledge, knowing they had nothing to sell.

I only had two bad experiences, as a rule all the shops were happy to help.

Bike Superstore: I have had mixed experiences here in the past so I was hesitant to check out what they had on offer. The guy I spoke with was excellent, really new his stuff and was happy to call about to find out what sizes the suppliers had. Changed my impression of this store.

Onya Bike Tugg / Woden & TLC friendly, knowledgable and helpful.

The Ride Shop - I have had some really good experiences here recently and I would have loved to buy a bike from them, unfortunatley they had nothing in my size. Several months ago I bent my rear derailer after falling over on the bike, whilst it was only slightly out of alignment they were happy to straighten it for me and didn't charge. Weeks later I changed the stem on my bike seat ($60 sale) and after I fit the seat at home they set my up on the rollers in the shop to make sure I had set the seat back at the right height (again at no charge). The owner seems really happy to help and impart knowledge and I will continue to spend money in this shop.

The Bike Shed Braddon - I spent about an hour and a half with the manager / owner of the bike shed whilst he imparted some amazing knowledge on bikes and where to spend my money e.g frame, wheels etc. He was very useful and spent the time explaining the difference between shimano etc, how to pick frames, wheels and also where I will see the most difference in ride times for my money.

Smith Cycles - I have read some fantastic stuff on this site about them and it is all true. Knowing the bike was the last one in Australia (I checked this with the distributor) they ordered in the bike before I had paid for it; they also made changes to the bike, seat, tyres and grips and sent photos of the bike to me.

As people say it is the little things that make a difference and Smiths, Bike shed and Ride shop have all been great.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Last edited by s-s-a on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:56 pm

+1 thumbup for CycleCity. I had to re-build a wheel due to nipple breakage, and Garth very generously offered his dishing tool to take home and use for a few days as well as offering excellent advice on things to look out for during the build. Great service.

seddo

Postby seddo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:57 pm

mrgolf wrote:+1 thumbup for CycleCity. I had to re-build a wheel due to nipple breakage, and Garth very generously offered his dishing tool to take home and use for a few days as well as offering excellent advice on things to look out for during the build. Great service.
cant resist - nipple breakage - thats gotta hurt :D :D

andyg

Postby andyg » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:34 am

Having just bought a few not inexpensive items at Onya Bike Tuggeranong I will sing their praises to anyone that cares to listen. As a newbie to cycling they answered all my dopey questions without hesitation. Great service indeed.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 am

andyg wrote:Having just bought a few not inexpensive items at Onya Bike Tuggeranong I will sing their praises to anyone that cares to listen. As a newbie to cycling they answered all my dopey questions without hesitation. Great service indeed.
+1 recently. The main man (Chris?) was very helpful when we went in there to look at a new roadie, and encouraged us to take the Fondriest around the lake a few times and bring it back whenever we're done and was more than happy to stand around for a chat totaling about 90 mins over 2 visits. Stark contrast to service I received there a few years ago when I took my MTB wheel in for respoking, was quoted $23 from memory, got a call to pick it up and hand over $36. When I argued the point the woman suggested she would go out back and de-spoke the wheel for me and I could go home and do it myself :| .
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Robdog wrote:
andyg wrote:Having just bought a few not inexpensive items at Onya Bike Tuggeranong I will sing their praises to anyone that cares to listen. As a newbie to cycling they answered all my dopey questions without hesitation. Great service indeed.
+1 recently. The main man (Chris?) was very helpful when we went in there to look at a new roadie, and encouraged us to take the Fondriest around the lake a few times and bring it back whenever we're done and was more than happy to stand around for a chat totaling about 90 mins over 2 visits. Stark contrast to service I received there a few years ago when I took my MTB wheel in for respoking, was quoted $23 from memory, got a call to pick it up and hand over $36. When I argued the point the woman suggested she would go out back and de-spoke the wheel for me and I could go home and do it myself :| .
:lol: Not funny at the time though, I'm sure

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Jean wrote::lol: Not funny at the time though, I'm sure
Nope, the chap did a pretty good job of suggesting she shut her hole. As a result I've only gone back there in the last few months
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Onya Bike Tuggeranong I will sing their praises to anyone that cares to listen
1. Got told by them this week that my old (90s high end XC) forks are not serviceable as parts are not available. Later mentioned this to another store who said "oh yes we have seals for them in stock and we do heaps of work on that type of forks".

2. Back when Uncle Kev was splashing $$$ around a friend of mine went there to buy a new commuter and got a lovely Giant women's flat bar roadie... except they sold her the wrong size. She is same height and similar leg length to me and is riding around on a SMALL :shock: . So uncomfortable to ride and the seat post is out about 1" past min. insertion!!
took my MTB wheel in for respoking, was quoted $23 from memory, got a call to pick it up and hand over $36
How long ago was this because $36 for a wheel build is really cheap!?!?

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:29 pm

A certain store in removed did their level best to get rid of me as a customer. Wanted to shell out 3600 on a Tarmac Expert - cant take it off the 20m long carpark and the obnoxious boss man dissed just about every other store and bike in Canberra. They decided me on the Fondriest from Onya but Ebay changed me to the S Works Roubaix.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 pm

s-s-a wrote:
took my MTB wheel in for respoking, was quoted $23 from memory, got a call to pick it up and hand over $36
How long ago was this because $36 for a wheel build is really cheap!?!?
It was about 4 years ago - back when I was in College. It wasn't a full rebuild, just 1 spoke that needed replacing. I'll be interested to see what the cost is when I pick up my Dura Ace rear and the same Alex MTB wheel from Smith (hopefully) tomorrow
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Cruiserman wrote:A certain store in Mitchell did their level best to get rid of me as a customer. Wanted to shell out 3600 on a Tarmac Expert - cant take it off the 20m long carpark and the obnoxious boss man dissed just about every other store and bike in Canberra. They decided me on the Fondriest from Onya but Ebay changed me to the S Works Roubaix.
If only I had a dollar for everytime I heard that story.
The only way they can sell bikes is to try and put down the other stores in Canberra, because they certainally can't sell them on customer service. :roll:

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 pm

ifixbikes wrote:
Cruiserman wrote:A certain store in Mitchell did their level best to get rid of me as a customer. Wanted to shell out 3600 on a Tarmac Expert - cant take it off the 20m long carpark and the obnoxious boss man dissed just about every other store and bike in Canberra. They decided me on the Fondriest from Onya but Ebay changed me to the S Works Roubaix.
The only way they can sell bikes is to try and put down the other stores in Canberra, because they certainally can't sell them on customer service. :roll:
I nearly sold a $4000 Giant Xtc back in the day when I worked there. Needless to say just as the buyer was about to hand over the cash the boss came out and told me to get back to pumping up tyres as I was not qualified to sell bikes. The buyer promptly then left the store, without the bike but with his cash :lol:. I lasted a massive 4 weeks before I ditched it for a better paid (& treated) job
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

bella26

Postby bella26 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:15 pm

ifixbikes wrote:
Had the exact same experience when me and my partner went in to look at getting a couple of roadies. It was their constant insistence that all other stores and brands were inferior to the ones they stocked that got us clued on to the fact that they were the inferior ones! We took our cash and the best part of $6k elsewhere. Wouldn't grace that store again even if all their stock was at a massive 90% sellout! (wiggle would prob be cheaper anyway :lol: )
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

Sixx1101

Postby Sixx1101 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:39 pm

***** Long post ****** if TL;DR, skip to the bottom

Hey,

First time post in the forums, but I have been absorbing as much information as I can from this forum trying to make the right choice on my first road bike. I really recommend any new rider go to as many LBS's as they can, and I thought the LBS stories here helped in deciding where and when I would buy my first bike. Because I've now purchased my first bike, I'll share my own experiences with all the stores I visited across Canberra.

So my pitch to every store was "I'm looking for a bike around the $2000 mark, hoping to get a full carbon frame, with at least partial 105 groupset, and to set me up with as much gear as I could.". As I the TDF had only just finished, and I was a pretty much a virgin road bike rider, my experience with brands at this time were.

There is some elitist jerks in the bike scene, so brands are almost a statement, and the rider I am riding with is a elitist , so i wanted to make the right choice so I wouldn't hear about it for the next two years (they are currently overseas)
Avanti Cadent 1.0 TDF was going for 2000k, as per the adds during the TDF
there was some brand called Malvern Star ridden by some guy,
and Lance Armstong rode a Trek bike, and I wanted to be like Lance.

The internet was my first call to do research (including these forums), and to sum up, the internet research told me to set your price range, test ride every bike under the sun, and pick from comfort. So that was my aim in visiting our LBS's, and I wanted to visit as many LBS's as reasonable.

The stores and my experiences , not in any order.

The Ride Shop Braddon

I had been in the store a few times, to get their advice for my partner who was trying to look at gear to establish herself as a first time rider, I had a good feeling about this store, and was a little confused about the very average comments other posters in this thread had given them. Also being the fact that they were the only store in Canberra to be listed on the Trek site as a reseller, I was keen for this to be my first and last store. I did my standard fixating on the road bike section, while waiting around for someone to be free to answer my questions, but no-one came. I did wait approx 5 minutes, but considering the number of bike shops in the area, I didn't hang about too long, I thought I would come back soon.

The problem became more appariant on repeat visits, and that was the fact that this wasn't an uncommon trend for me. Being such a small shop, and only have two people in the store at busy times (mon-fri lunch times), and only one other staff at other times, its hard for them to serve the people coming in and out. My visit times consisted between late lunches (1-3 PM) mon - fri, or on overcast saturdays. Pretty much I wanted to be a customer, but I got no response from the staff. Needless to say, I didn't buy a Trek.

PRO's
- They have Trek

CON's
- They have nothing but Trek
- Need more staff to service the influx of customers

Lonsdale Street Cyclery
My first visit to this shop was directly after walking out of the Ride Shop the first time. I had been in there previously with other people, staff always are busy, and the place tends to humm along. On day one, seeing that they were busy, I was a little intimidated to consume someones time with making a purchase, when I was simply on my fact finding mission. Day 1 I walk out of this shop as well.

Unlike the ride shop, pretty much I visited the both of these shops around the same time, the next time i visited this store, I stuck a quiet time, and I spent at least an hour with "Trav" going through my options. Trav was REALLY good in giving me the experience I was looking for, not only did we cover the bikes, but also the type of riding I was interested in, but also how the bikes would of handled on those types of ride. It was on a rainy Sunday that I went, so I guess it helped that there was plenty of time to spare. Trav's main pitch was a Cannondale Six, a Scott CR1 Comp 2010 or a Scott 2009 Team. While the do have Advanti's in store he didn't really pursue that brand to strongly. Trav did answer my tricky questions, subjective ones on best brand etc, with professionalism and honesty. He didn't bag any brand or shop but was willing to give me a few points to consider. Due to weather, the rain, it wasn't best that I do any test riding that day, but I couldn't ask for more on that visit. My only complaint would be that all options that were considered either didn't match my pitch, or were a couple of hundred more then I was willing to spend, I had hoped that I could get a better deal on my next visit.

My last and final visit into the store was positive as well. I came in at around 11 on a Wednesday, because Trav said he would be back from his morning ride by then, so we could test ride a few bikes, but Trav wasn't there on entering. It turns out Trav is a important person in the store (the webpage will give you the info) so I wasn't fussed that he wasn't around. Jim, I hope, was my sale assistant this time and he left off right where we stopped with Trav. Jim lent me a helmet and set up a bike for me, and I was off around Braddon on my first ride on a Scott. Did I learn anything from the ride? Not really, but it certainly helped me with what to expect of service from the LBS.

I didn't end up taking the offers from the shop, I certainly will be purchasing more stuff from this store, if only to repay the information that both Trav and Jim imparted. The bikes that were offered all ended above my price point, but I don't think I can blame them because I never once stopped them because of price point.

PRO's
- Quite times you will get alot of experience with the sales assistance
- Have a good selection of bikes
- Prob the only place to buy Specialised bikes come late 2010

CON's
- Middle range (1800 - 2500) isn't that great
- Test riding requires riding on either busy foot paths, or busy roads.

Onya Bike, Civic

My first visit into this store was on the same day as my first visit into the two bike stores above. This time, when I left, I wanted to buy a bike then and there. The sales rep stopped me, basically said to hold out a little longer for the 2010 deal to come through. I was a little disappointed that Giant was their flagship bike, and that they didn't really have anything else to offer, but I did learn that Giant wasn't as bad as the K-Mart brand I had in my head, and really the only reason that the shop, and Belconnen Onya, only stocked Giant was because its really hard to sell another bike when its side by side with the Giant. The offer was a Giant Defy something at that stage, half carbon half alloy, full 105 all in a comfortable price point. To top it off, the sales assistant could relate to what I was trying to do, and passed on his experience on what happened to him only a few months before, when starting to ride road bikes (mountain biker).

Disappointedly in my store hopping, on my second visit to this store, all the 2010 Giants were gone, and the next guy to serve me really wasn't interested in serving me, basically told me no 2010 bikes left, excused himself, and ran to chat with a friend who just walked in.

Certainly would like to speak with the first guy again (forgot his name) and worth popping in to get some further gear from this store. It was a real disappointment that the second guy fobbed me off so quickly, as my first experience and the feedback on this site held this store quite high.

PRO's
- At least one great staff memeber!

CON's
- Pitty he doesn't have clones to service all customers
- Only Giants in store

Onya Bike, Belconnen

I was very pumped, Giants were researched but still needed to be convinced to me that they were a real bike. Jumped in the car, headed down there, and the sales clerk certainly didn't impress me the way others did. Average service, I did have specific questions about bike rackes, that weren't really the norm for this guy. I won't ride this store off my list of places to pick up parts, just won't be the first place I visit. Only went once, but hey...

PRO's
- Large open store
- Have good selection of other products, aka bike stands

CON's
- Limited bike range (Giant Only)

Onya Bike, Phillip

Only went into this store once, on my first visit to the area I didn't notice the store there in the market place. Store looked really crowded with bikes, but really aimed at the family type of market. They like the other Giant Reps, had sold out of most 2010 stock. Tim did take a few moments out from his servicing, which they looked flat out with, to point me in the direction of a Giant Defy Advanced, but the price point was meh, but its worth pointing out the offer did include 12 months free services, and also 2 bottle cages. Tim did ask if I wanted him to call around for other floor stock, but all the rest of the Onya store were way to far away from home.

PRO's
- Prob the best of the stores listed if you looking to get the family riding.

CON's
- Very tightly packed placed with bikes

The Bike Warehouse, Mitchell

Reading about this store on this site, I certainly wasn't expecting much from this store. But at the time of my first visit, I still wanted a Trek, but very much wanted to know about other brands around. Going upstairs, I found that they were affected by the avantiplus change in brands they stock (you suck Specialised!) they only had the flagship Scott 2011 Range, Avanti, Specialised, and 1 or two Malvern Star bikes. The sales guy took his time with me, even though he had a mate waiting for him, and answered any questions I had about the different bike brands. I left at this stage, I wasn't really sure what I wanted, and I felt the fact finding mission had been completed. Certainly felt that I could buy a bike from this store.

Second visit, sales assistant wasn't so positive. He certainly had no problems in keeping bikes in my range, and showed me everything I wanted to know, even dropped the 2011 Malvern Star Oppy C5 as an option in the future, said he would give me a call with some more info. But while he didn't trash any other store or brand, but only because he had friends who represented these brands. I left maybe on a little less then average feeling about the whole place. The vibe, the prices, and the reviews on this site didn't inspire me to keep visiting.

I am also still waiting for that phone call

PRO's
- Best selection of bikes
- Staff can answer all your questions

CON's
- Few hundred more expensive in price
- Staff don't make you feel positive about the whole experience
- Can't use phone to return calls

Cycle City, Lyneham

Found the store was a little hard to find, but once I spotted it (I walked through the shops area) I felt a little silly that I had missed it. (FYI: at the petrol station). I guess I feel a little jipped when bikes stores only have 1 or 2 brands, it just feels to me that your not getting the whole picture, but Cycle City staff had the time to help me out. Many staff were on hand to help all customers in the store, and I really like that about them. The workshop looked big enough to be a real good place to take my future bike for servicing.

Cycle city also gave me my first test ride of any store, and it happened to be on a Malvern Star Oppy C5 2010. Big thumbs up for that fact. It's also not a busy area like Civic, Braddon, or Belconnen, so a novice like me it is a good area try out a bike with confidence of not being hit by a car. This is possible because of the bike path that is only a stones throw away. It was this store that made sure I also rode a alloy bike to see the difference, in compliance. (A new word that I picked up). I really like that about them, for going that extra bit further. Did I notice the difference between the two different frames, I did, but only on 1 bump, and that was enough to settle on the fact that I wanted a full Carbon frame.

Cycle city took the time to explain some of the incorrect facts other stores were saying about MS, and really help me put a 2011 MS Oppy C5 on my final list.

In summary, a great place, quick to answer the phone, certainly go there if you're after an MS.

PRO's
- Happy to go that little bit to help you understand
- Close to quite facilities to test ride
- Looks to have good service facilities

CON's
- Limited to only the largest bike chains

TLC, Phillip
I visited TLC mainly because I knew someone that worked there, I didn't know them close enough to get mates rates, but close enough that I got good service. TLC seemed to have a good range of bikes for the size of the store. But like Onya- Belconnen, had sold out the 2010 stock that would of given me a great deal. I would recommend that people check out TLC, they certainly know a lot about bikes.

PRO's
- Great range of bikes, and happy to tell you any of them

CON's
None

The Bike Shed, Braddon

I only accidentally went into this store, and at this stage I was feeling pretty confident on what I wanted, and after learning as much as I could about bikes over the months visiting other bike stores, I had a few curly questions to through at these guys. I reason it was an accident was because the other bike stores in Braddon are closed at 10AM on a sunday, and I had an hour to kill. The store was good, and staff were attentive, it was an overcast sunday, and early, so no-one else was around. These guys are Giant store as well, they do have one or two other bikes, but not really many in stock. I believe they were also stocking Biannci. Maybe not... Anyway, service as I expected, but really didn't have anything in the 2010 range that was a good deal (or my size) but offered to call around other stores to check. I did kindly decline, as the other stores were typically out of my way. They did tell me how to get to the Phillip store, as they thought they might have something there for me.

All I can say is make sure you visit the other end of Lonsdale street and chat to the guys there. They were good to talk to.

PRO's
- Good advise, had plenty of time for me

CON's
None

The Bike Shed, Phillip

It was around 3Pm when I first walked into this store, the only reason I went there was because my travels had taken me to TLC, and Onya close by, and I decided to pop in because the Braddon Store pointed out how close they were to my other destinations. I spoke to Greg there, and he was a great listener, and he certainly wasn't afraid to help me to the best of his abilities. Certainly didn't shun any brand, and had the Giant bike I was after, in my size, 2010, in my price range. I was convinced by this stage no-one would have any left in Canberra. Greg did me a great deal, and I was very hard to walk away, but at this stage I hadn't confirmed if I wanted a Giant, or my other option at the time, a 2011 Oppy.

Second visit, just happened to be the visit that scored me my ride. I explained that I spoke with Greg recently , and that he offered me a good deal on the Giant, he had asked if I was the guy talking about the Oppy the day before, which I was, and he said they might be willing to even order an oppy in for me if I decided on the MS over the Giant. They would come from the same distributor, but I thought that it was pretty above and beyond service, because they didn't even stock MS in any of their stores (yet! shhhh...). I toooook agggggggeeeesss with the manager, at least an hour, trying to decide what type of bike to buy. Finally it was the fact that the Giant came with peddels, and the Oppy didn't that I decided to buy it. Anyway, I am certainly appreciative of the patience they took with me. So I handed over the cash, and left with my new roadie!!!

PRO's
- Had the bike I chose!!!
- Plenty of time to give
- Had the novice and seasoned roadie advise in the same store

CON's
- None

So in summary, or for those TL;DR.

I didn't have many negative experiences with LBS's. But I never went to any store a what I would think is peak times. I didn't visit every store in Canberra, but I really didn't want to. There were a few more
Last edited by Sixx1101 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.