kayak

Apple

kayak

Postby Apple » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:15 pm

OK so I have moved near the water. I am thinking of getting a kayak or 2. I have 3 children two are young adults and one is still only 11.
The 11 year old would like to come with me. I also like to take my dog, She is very special, she goes everywhere with me.
So what do you people recommend? I know some of you are keen kayakers. Need help it deciding.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Baldy

Re: kayak

Postby Baldy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Gday Apple

It might be temping to get a two seater yak for you and the 11yo but I'd say dont do it. Not only are they obviously heavier but the sheer size of some of them makes them hard to handle both on the water and off.

I suggest getting two smaller yaks to start with and get your girls to take turns coming out with you. That way you can sort out which one it might end up being a fad for and which ones take to it like a duck to water :oops: :lol:

Also my suggestion would be for sit on top kayaks. They are much more user friendly and if you want to take the dog then they are much better for that. Most of them will have a tank well behind the seat which is a great place to put a dog, specially if its a larger dog, small dogs like my terrier fit in front of you between your legs ok. Though mine doesnt like getting water dripped on him from the paddle, the little wuss.

If your close walking distance to the water then a trailer/trolly is very handy, also good for boatramps and stuff if you decide to take the yaks by car somewhere. You can make your own out of those box trolleys[got mine from supercheap auto for $20] Places like Annaconda also sell purpose built trolleys but they can be a bit expensive. But are usually smaller and light weight.

Its hard to make a suggestion on kayak types and models without a rough idea on the budget? Considering you will need to factor in paddles and lifejackets at least, allthough alot of yaks will come with an ok entry level paddle.

The other thing to consider is what you want to do with them? Have you considered fishing out of them? Chuck a line in for a flathead or two for dinner! You can add things like rod holders and stuff to any kayak but if you think you might like it getting a yak with them allready built in will save a bit of trouble.

If your near the water there might be a hire place you could try? Unless you know the girls like kayaking allready? Ya dont want them to feel obliged to go out just because you have forked out the cash on a yak for them.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps a bit. Its great fun[allthough tas winters can get a bit gnarly] Im pretty much a fair weather fisherman these days but I would never sell my yaks.

cheers

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Also check in with the Canadian (crazycanuck) she's got Kayaks or soemthing

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks Baldy, that was great information. I will sure look at all those options.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't have a kayak or a canoe :roll: I'd love a canoe :D

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:45 pm

crazycanuck wrote:I don't have a kayak or a canoe :roll: I'd love a canoe :D
Oops wrong person...

Does Moo have one?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Missy24 wrote:
Oops wrong person...

Does Moo have one?
Yes
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Missy24 wrote:
Oops wrong person...

Does Moo have one?
Yes
Where is Moo?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Pretty sure Moo was in early last week.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Canadian type - 14ft.
Easy and light enough to handle. If out of water handling is difficult, an inflatable type may suit.
Will take two kids and one adult, or two adults and eski or can be paddled solo (with eski :D ).
Single or double paddles.
good for river, moving water and grade 1 or 2 rapids.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 pm

I'm back!! 8)

Sorry...had paddling and holidaying to do :)

I have been known to spend several hours paddling up and down rivers and oceans. I also may have had a few boats in the last few years...upgraditis :D

I personally use a ski (a Spirit PRS actually in go fast white) as I find them more Moo-friendly. Mr Moo hates them and uses a "proper kayak" which is inclosed. The ski has an advantage of being able to store stuff on top (like the dog) but if the water is choppy then you don't stay dry. There are so many on the market and second hand ones are advertised all the time (I look at gumtree quite a lot - search for kayak).

I'm not a fan of doubles - they are not only heavy but annoying if you want to go out alone. Also, you need to be pretty coordinated with your partner otherwise you'll smack each other with paddles!!

For some general info, have a look here. They are my LKS and have quite a bit of info on different models. Good place to start to get some info.

If you want any advice about types, models or prices, give me a holler - I've spent hours investigating this subject (we've bought 3 boats in the last 6 months and sold 4!!) and am perfectly unbiased :P

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:13 pm

moosterbounce wrote: If you want any advice about types, models or prices, give me a holler - I've spent hours investigating this subject (we've bought 3 boats in the last 6 months and sold 4!!) and am perfectly unbiased :P
Shame on you... Using the word upgraditis and having an N-1 record for the year! :twisted:
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks moo; I will definitely contact you, as I am a complete novice to water sports.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Robdog wrote:
moosterbounce wrote: If you want any advice about types, models or prices, give me a holler - I've spent hours investigating this subject (we've bought 3 boats in the last 6 months and sold 4!!) and am perfectly unbiased :P
Shame on you... Using the word upgraditis and having an N-1 record for the year! :twisted:
Yeah but...!!

There was no way I was going to paddle a bathtub now that I have my racing ski :D Although, I haven't ruled out the possibility of getting a couple of play boats...we just need some rain and whitewater to justify that purchase!!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Moo!!! You know the drill, pics or it didnt happen!! I'd like to hijack Apples thread and see some photos of your ski's 8)

I'll go first, couple of my favorite yak pics, I own a little 11ft canoe called a Cannack but ive kinda given that to one of my sisters and her tribe. The Prowler is the main yak...

All aboard!!!
[For the worry warts, no we did not go anywhere! I only have 2 arms :wink: Just posing for the paparazzi !]

Lime Bay, SE Tasmania.....paradise :D

And no, I dont have any kids.....Im uncle Dan.....or Doon depending on who you ask :lol:

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Yes Yes please post pictures on my kayak thread. So is that a Canoe or a Kayak? is it heavy
BTW, you are cute.
Last edited by Apple on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Apple wrote:Yes Yes please post pictures on my kayak thread. So is that a Canoe?
BTW, you are cute.
I actually thought Baldy was like seriously old... just the way he co... I'll stop now, don't need no trouble

weren't you going to bed?

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Missy24 wrote:[weren't you going to bed?
Yes but then I saw Baldy boy :wink:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Apple wrote:
Missy24 wrote:[weren't you going to bed?
Yes but then I saw Baldy boy :wink:
sxy dreams :mrgreen:

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Yes going to bed now

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:53 pm

:oops: :lol: Flattery will get you places Apple! So, im thinking your more a Red Delicious than a Granny Smith :mrgreen:

Its ok Missy, I know I can be an old fashioned fuddy duddy sometimes :wink: Or even something more colorfull than that :twisted: We might not be besties but I'd still day gday with a smile if we met, and be happy to chat. life is too short eh.....says the wise ol 33 yo :roll:

Apple, thats a sit on top kayak that is fitted out for fishing. Came with built in rod holders, a place to mount a fish finder etc... Its a decent size at 4.5m[bit over 15ft] and weighs about 35kg. I can chuck it up onto the car myself but it is a handfull doing it like that. You can load them one end at a time and kinda slide them on so you dont have to lift the whole weight at once. You and one of your girls would be able to load it no problem. Its a single yak and not the cheapest out there but its got ok fittings and is reasonably fast for a plastic kayak[rudder, inbuilt threads for anchor trolley,rod holders,carry handles side and front back] It might be more yak than you need but you might find them at an ok price second hand.

cheers

ps: I'd post a photo of me rescuing a stray animal on the same day to really seal the deal! but the photocucket site is down! Thats if inflatable crocodiles count :lol: Heroic all the same Im sure you will agree ...

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:24 am

[
quote="Baldy] Apple, thats a sit on top kayak that is fitted out for fishing. Came with built in rod holders, a place to mount a fish finder etc... Its a decent size at 4.5m[bit over 15ft] and weighs about 35kg. I can chuck it up onto the car myself but it is a handfull doing it like that. You can load them one end at a time and kinda slide them on so you dont have to lift the whole weight at once. You and one of your girls would be able to load it no problem. Its a single yak and not the cheapest out there but its got ok fittings and is reasonably fast for a plastic kayak[rudder, inbuilt threads for anchor trolley,rod holders,carry handles side and front back] It might be more yak than you need but you might find them at an ok price second hand.

cheers

ps: I'd post a photo of me rescuing a stray animal on the same day to really seal the deal! but the photocucket site is down! Thats if inflatable crocodiles count :lol: Heroic all the same Im sure you will agree ...
Thanks Baldy,[/quote]I like fishing, so that is a kayak? I would like something like that. I want need to put in on the car as I can access the water from the house. So as much information and photos will be great

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:27 am

What is the name of that kayak.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Hey Apple

Its an Ocean Kayak[which is the brand name not a description] Prowler Elite 4.5 Its a few years old now and I think the new ones have some differences but are basically the same thing. Im not sure of the current prices but I payed $2400 for it new. Which made it one of the more expensive plastic[polyurethane] fishing kayaks. But second hand is an option because they only thing that really kills them long term is sunlight[UV] they are really tough and hard wearing.

Ive been out of the loop for a while but the range of entry level fishing kayaks is massive nowdays, a bit like bikes there are plenty to pick from and there would be a number of yaks that will do the job. In same cases it just comes down to looks/price.

One thing is for sure, the fibreglass/kevlar ski's like Moo's are stunning boats. Plastic yaks just cant match the finish on a painted/clear coated kayak. In most cases you do pay for it though and you tend to have to be a bit more gentle around rocks/boatramps with the ski's.

Im still having trouble with photobucket but I will post some photos later of the trolley I use to carry it around. The advantage a trolley has over just carrying the yak to the water is you can load it up with all your junk at the car. Or in your case the shed or house and then just launch it into the water like a boat. Not such an issue when you have company because you can just grab an end each. But when your on your own and you need to carry it with one of the side handles, so obviously any junk that is not strapped down will fall out![not to mention the extra weight which quickly adds up] Which will happen if you flip it in the water so it pays to tie down and tether as much as you can. You can also get special roof racks with a type of cradle to carry a kayak upright or you can use normal racks and carry most of them upside down which is what I do.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:35 pm

How about one of these Apple? :D

Seriously...the kayaks (skis really) I have owned this year are:

Perceptions Swing (about $500 second hand) - a picture can be found here I fished out of mine a few times but didn't have it fully kitted out. I described this as the unsinkable boat. It was so wide and stable that it was impossible to fall out of. The bottom was also flat which helps stability. Weighed about 26kgs and was about 80cm wide.

Finn Affinity (about $600-1000 secondhand) - again, not my boat but a picture here This is a much faster boat - narrower but more tippy. Again though, pretty stable and unless you play around in surf or white water, it won't throw you off. This was a great boat but not fast enough (I have issues!!). It would be a good all rounder. There is a lightweight version available which is 20% lighter and comes in at about 17kgs. It is 65cm wide.

My current baby isn't actually composite - it's plastic too. I so wanted an Epic V10 Sport but I couldn't justify taking this in white water which is my plan for next year. Sexy though huh?! Anyway, my ghost boat is a Spirit PRS It is 5.7m long and only 50cm wide. It isn't very stable though on flat water I think it is. Still getting used to choppy water. I wouldn't recommend buying one of these as a first boat!!

I will try to find some photos of me on mine to show off :wink: