Election time voting against mandatory helmet laws.

jules21

Re: Election time voting against mandatory helmet laws.

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Here's the thing: Say a car driver changes lanes without looking, hitting a motorcyclist and knocking them off their bike. It was during the day and the motorcyclist did not have their lights on. Who would you say is at fault? If 24-hour lights on were required by law, do you think the car driver would be held responsible?
my bike was built when the DRL law was in place. i can't turn them off. all i have to do is keep the light working, which is necessary anyway for night riding. there is no reasonable circumstance in which they should be off - therefore no problem.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:17 pm

blundershot wrote:What are your views on fishing in marine parks? 4WDing in national parks? 4WDing on beaches? Any other freedoms you feel may have been infringed by authority?
None of those really seem like strictly personal freedoms, as they all impact on other people and are thus incomparable with helmet use.

To look at them individually... I definitely wouldn't support allowing fishing in marine parks as it has a huge impact of fish numbers, impacting both other fishers and scuba divers. I have no knowledge of 4WDing, so couldn't comment on 4WDing in national parks. Use of 4WDs on beaches I'd support only in boat-launching areas, as otherwise it'd present a massive danger to beachgoers.

Now, I eagerly await how you'll try to present cycling without a helmet as having an impact on others. :lol:
jules21 wrote:my bike was built when the DRL law was in place.
Ok, same scenario but for the owner of a bike with controllable lights that has just forgotten to turn them on.
- Dave

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:37 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Use of 4WDs on beaches I'd support only in boat-launching areas, as otherwise it'd present a massive danger to beachgoers.
Not in SA we have many beaches that vehicles are permitted on so both beachgoers,Anglers,Kite flyers,Volley ball,Beach Cricket etc all get to use the beach with vehicles and live in harmony with no incidents (maybe the odd occasion but that's more to do with little Nancy & Johnny's parents not disciplining there kids the old school of teaching to be safe) so from my point of view it's been a very safe practice.
Last edited by }SkOrPn--7 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Ok, interesting to note. As I said, I know nothing about 4WDing. :D
- Dave

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:56 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Ok, interesting to note. As I said, I know nothing about 4WDing. :D
It's more general vehicles but 4WD are allowed on the beaches and this practice makes for a great family and friend gathering plus the vehicles can be used as wind protection and shade when set-up. I guess this works so well because it's like the Netherlands with no helmet laws it's been part of there upbringing and culture which continues today just as vehicles on beaches has been ours so folks are mindful of it and tend to act in a safer manner.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:00 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:It's more general vehicles but 4WD are allowed on the beaches and this practice makes for a great family and friend gathering plus the vehicles can be used as wind protection and shade when set-up. I guess this works so well because it's like the Netherlands with no helmet laws it's been part of there upbringing and culture just as vehicles on beaches has been ours so folks are mindful of it and tend to act in a safer manner.
And bugger the native birdlife, maate!

Sorrry about OT but:
Many of the threats faced by Hooded Plovers involve humans, who accidentally crush nests and chicks, disturb the birds when breeding, and allow their dogs to chase and sometimes kill Hooded Plover chicks and eggs. Everybody who visits beaches in southern Australia can help this species by obeying regulations and staying away from Hooded Plovers when possible
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

blundershot

Postby blundershot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:56 pm

And bugger the turtles too!

4WD vehicle use on beaches is one of the major threats to Western Australia's 5 species of marine turtles... :(

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Easy solution, use the dead turtles shells as helmets for plovers.

No need to thank me, glad to help :wink:

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:03 pm

So when are the mods going to redirect this thread?
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm

KenGS, I think now would be a good time.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:05 pm

This thread is in the new Cycling Safety Sub Forum so is now unlocked.
Cycling is in my BNA

steve

Postby steve » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks for the many emails on this topic - i am pretty happy about the 2010 election results myself.

Thank you earlier to the one person here who hinted in their reply earlier of a political party supporting removal of mandatory helmet laws and giving people their own choice. The hint being the party supported such concepts as liberty and democracy but was not the liberal party.

There are several parties who would support removing mandatory helmet laws this but none stated it as clearly as this particular one.

Cheers Steve.
Please visit my bicycle australia web site to learn how to fight for common sense against unfair helmet laws.
http://bicycleaustralia.org

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:05 pm

steve wrote:Thanks for the many emails on this topic - i am pretty happy about the 2010 election results myself.
LMAO at this web site http://doesaustraliahaveagovernmentyet.com/ :lol:
<removed by request>