Stolen: Diamondback Response '04 - St Lucia, Brisbane

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
ctks248

Stolen: Diamondback Response '04 - St Lucia, Brisbane

Postby ctks248 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 am

Hi everyone,

It's a regret that my first post here is to report a theft...

My Diamondback got nicked earlier this afternoon (Thurs, 19 Aug) from UQ at St Lucia.

It looks like this: http://www.bikepedia.com/Images/Default ... -Sport.jpg

I locked it to a bike rack at the front of the Biological Sciences Library at 12 noon and when I got back at 5pm only me helmet was left dangling on the rack. So, it was stolen from UQ, 19 Aug, between 12 noon and 5pm.

I've reported it to both UQ security as well as the police.

I've just recently got new wheels and handlebars and pedals for it.. Sigh.. I've really enjoyed riding it..

Hope you guys can help me keep a lookout for it!

Sighh..

Thanks and peace,
C

elantra

Re: Stolen: Diamondback Response '04 - St Lucia, Brisbane

Postby elantra » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:44 pm

No good at all.
If you can, pass by some cashconverter type stores sooner or later.
also look out onebay and gumtree
There is a cashconverters at Indooroopilly, although i suspect stolen bikes sometimes appear in shops a long way away from the place of theft.
And now for a bit of a whinge, you would think that in this day and age the University would be able to monitor such places with security cameras, and also have cameras monitoring vehicular access points to the campus etc.
Commiserations, Steve

Westgarth

Postby Westgarth » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:53 am

There are security cameras just about everywhere, unfortunately if you look at the footage it will likely show some suspicious looking character in a hoodie-jacket, baseball cap, scarf or all of the above hiding their features.

Even if you get a good shot of them, unless you or one of the police who looks at it happens to know who they are it isn't that much use. You can take a look at hundreds and hundreds of unapprehended criminals allegedly committing some quite serious crimes (murders, sex assaults, largescale thefts and frauds) on film at crimestoppers.com.au (pick your state) - these people are still at large despite having their pictures taken.

Skexis

Postby Skexis » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:27 am

Bear in mind Cashies have to hold items for a certain period of time before they offer them for sale so even if it is destined for one of these outlets it may not appear on the shop floor for a couple of weeks or so.

It's prob not worth alerting Cashies that a bike with X serial number has been stolen as it will then not be worth their while buying it. Instead do regular visits because if the person who currently possesses your ride succeeds in selling it to a cashies then they'll have to (or are supposed to) complete a Stat Dec that affirms their ownership and this could be used to identify and successfully prosecute them.

It's all about timing.

Westgarth

Postby Westgarth » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:21 am

I think it's 2 weeks that second hand dealers are meant to hold things before offering them for sale (used to be a month). Of course a lot of them are crooks, and cash converters (can I mention them as they aren't bike stores per se?) has a reputation in the industry for shifting stuff that might be identifiably pinched interstate to avoid the owners getting their stuff back. I have been involved in a few second hand businesses over the years and the advice you would always give people was not to go around asking the more disreputable shops if they had seen so-and-so because if they did have it they would hide it/get rid of it rather than have the cops hassle them, junkies upset that they had been dobbed in by the dealer etc.

You see your item, go straight to the cops and they can issue the second hand dealer a notice that prevents them disposing of an item and allows the cops or the owner to apply to the magistrate's court for posession of the goods. A few years ago we were burgled and my brother's VCR turned up at one of the dodgy local Eastern-Meditteranean pawn shops. He told the cops, they went and put a notice on it and the owners promptly sold it anyway which didn't impress the cops very much. They closed down not long after, whether that was the cause or a symptom I couldn't say.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:57 am

Sorry to hear mate. :(

Did they just cut the lock cable? If so
They must have had somem hardware to do that.

Surely people walking around with bulk cutters would stand out!?