First try on fixie project (Nishiki frame)

nathann

Re: First try on fixie project (Nishiki frame)

Postby nathann » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:36 pm

aaron wrote:You painted your cranks and chain ring?
Yes, yes he did.

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:30 pm

aaron wrote:This thread is really a waste of internet space.
There are hundreds of threads and info available here and on other sites.

It should really stop now I reckon.

ps protect you head tube, down tube and BB threads from the new paint
Since when has this site become so up themselves that a fellow who enjoys tinkering with his bicycle is not allowed to show his progressive conversion pics and story/ or gets ragged on about sharing what hes doing with his fixie/singlespeed. If this is such a waste of internet space Aaron, then why do you keep coming back to see how the conversion is progressing, (3 posts already) and mostly snide comments. If you don't like then don't read. This site has been helpful to loads of us bicycle enthusiasts who are enjoying the fixie/singlespeed bug and enjoy sharing all the similar successes and failures of other peoples posts!

Back to what matters - keep the pics and questions coming sbc runnerkit

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:50 am

yes, cox i want to put another colour on them, i got to bunnings warehouse today, but cant find the colour i want, there only got few colour options, so is there any one know where hv a store selling multi colour spray (like graphic painting store) in perth??

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:03 am

Kingfisher wrote:

Since when has this site become so up themselves that a fellow who enjoys tinkering with his bicycle is not allowed to show his progressive conversion pics and story/ or gets ragged on about sharing what hes doing with his fixie/singlespeed. If this is such a waste of internet space Aaron, then why do you keep coming back to see how the conversion is progressing, (3 posts already) and mostly snide comments. If you don't like then don't read. This site has been helpful to loads of us bicycle enthusiasts who are enjoying the fixie/singlespeed bug and enjoy sharing all the similar successes and failures of other peoples posts!

Thx for kingfisher's comment. As I said, I knew i hv asked too much questions doubled in this forum, and made aaron felt boring(sorry :cry: ). But why i am asking is becox even i read those other helping treads, but i still cant solve my problems..Anyway, thx for kingfisher supporting. :lol:
will keep posting pics.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:52 am

Kingfisher wrote:

Did you notice the first 7 posts on this thread were taking the piss out of this guy. My first post wasn't.
I was actually making a statement that I felt there was more than enough posts out there to help him rather than this continue. I found it a bit cruel.
Please tell me which of my comments were snide?
My second post actually contained some very helpful information.

So take a chill pill Kinfgisher please.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:54 am

regarding painting the cranks:: I don't think the paint will stick for long.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:38 pm

aaron wrote:regarding painting the cranks:: I don't think the paint will stick for long.
y is that??

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:43 pm

probably need to use an Etch primer on alloy bits instead of regular primer to stop the paint falling off.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:29 am

darkhorse75 wrote:probably need to use an Etch primer on alloy bits instead of regular primer to stop the paint falling off.
Sorry , i really a junior at this area, can u explain more the different between etch primer and metal primer?? And how easy will spray paint fall off??

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:44 am

"Real" etch primer contains phoshoric acid that etch's the substrate (usually steel). Usually contains chromates that confer anti corrosive properties to the substrate, in the event that the paint film is breached. Conventional primer contains fillers and levellers that provide a surface to paint onto.

Now that your "primed" chrome/alloy cranks have had a period to dry, in an inconspicuous spot,scratch the primed surface with your finger nail,,,,,,,,,,,hey presto, no paint.The primer needs a surface to bind too,the paint binds to the primer,,,,,,,,,compreday
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:56 am

There's a reason that cranks and chain rings are seen rarely painted.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Seen a few powdercoated though :-\
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

nathann

Postby nathann » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:10 pm

aaron wrote:There's a reason that cranks and chain rings are seen rarely painted.
+1

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Worst thing about this thread is the OP's spelling, way of spelling words. becox, cox??!! what is the reason for the spelling of these words?..

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Thank for you guys opinions. It's grant to hear that.
At the moment, I am waiting for the colour that i want, the guy from the colour shop said would refill new stocks on monday or tuesday. Will go to hv a look soon.
I purchsed a black wheelset on ebay yesterday, is the star one. Hope be good.
Will update soon.

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:59 pm

yehuda wrote:Worst thing about this thread is the OP's spelling, way of spelling words. becox, cox??!! what is the reason for the spelling of these words?..
Thanks for your reminding, I will try get away from that, cheer

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:14 pm

sbc_runnerkit wrote:I purchsed a black wheelset on ebay yesterday, is the star one. Hope be good.
If you had done a search on the internet about these wheels you would have found a majority of the information telling you that these wheels are not 'good'.
They are very cheap for a reason. As with anything, you get what you pay for.
I do not have any personal experiences on this product though.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 pm

aaron wrote:There's a reason that cranks and chain rings are seen rarely painted.
Will you guys lay off? Give this guy a break.

So, you don't like painted cranks. BFD. If you can't say something nice, keep your cakehole shut.

I, for one, enjoy seeing other people's projects as they progress. Partly to learn from their successes and failures, and partly because I love looking at bikes.

Please ignore these guys and keep the photos coming, sbc.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:23 pm

^^
Have I not given beneficial feedback this entire thread?
If not show me where I haven't.
Where did I say I didn't like painted cranks?

nathann

Postby nathann » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:30 pm

sbc_runnerkit wrote:I purchsed a black wheelset on ebay yesterday, is the star one. Hope be good.
I hear those are horrible but tell me how they go. (:

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:47 pm

yehuda wrote:Worst thing about this thread is the OP's spelling, way of spelling words. becox, cox??!! what is the reason for the spelling of these words?..
don't forget that English is NOT everyones first langauage.
The quality of these wheels isn't as good as alot of other wheels that are out there. However, if you grease and adjust the bearings properly (before you use them, the factory attempt at assembly usually isn't very good) then they aren't all that bad either... Keep the gearing reasonable (say low 70's for example, so that the pedaling is reasonably easy)) and don't expect them to be rock solid if you really get into it on a hill climb or sprint... they will flex a bit if you do that...
Andrew

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:46 am

Lark2004 wrote:and don't expect them to be rock solid if you really get into it on a hill climb or sprint... they will flex a bit if you do that...
Are you sure about the flexing? If this is the case I would recommend this guy run a front brake.

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:12 pm

aaron wrote:
Lark2004 wrote:and don't expect them to be rock solid if you really get into it on a hill climb or sprint... they will flex a bit if you do that...
Are you sure about the flexing? If this is the case I would recommend this guy run a front brake.
The guy should be running at least a front.... I'd suggest both front and back, don't forget that he's a novice fixie rider...
The only time I even ride fixed without brakes is on the Velodrome.... all other times I have both brakes there, you never know when that brown pant moment is going to happen where brakes are going to save your life...
Andrew

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:33 pm

sbc_runnerkit wrote:Thank for you guys opinions. It's grant to hear that.
At the moment, I am waiting for the colour that i want, the guy from the colour shop said would refill new stocks on monday or tuesday. Will go to hv a look soon.
I purchsed a black wheelset on ebay yesterday, is the star one. Hope be good.
Will update soon.
I purchased the white stars wheels for a cheap bike build, they were the first item I bought before I made my way to this forum and unfortunately you do get what you pay for. Having said that they are perfect for a cheap first time build. :idea: Have a close inspection of them and if you feel like it take it to your LBS - local bike shop and get their opinion. I took mine to Pista Bikes in South Yarra, Melbourne and their overall opinion of the Stars wheel set was that they have had to do various minor repairs to get them spinning freely. Mine were ok and didn't require any work, so they still remain cheap and nasty - but serviceable. :roll:

Keep the pics coming mate

swaz

Postby swaz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:35 pm

What did you use to sand you cranks? Sand paper? If so what grit?