Repco Rebuild

Murdoch

Repco Rebuild

Postby Murdoch » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi guys and girls,

New member but been reading for a bit, trying to get my head around all the different aspects of the rebuild.
Finally got a hold of my dads old Repco Olympic 14 on the weekend, and have proceeded to take it all apart.

I am wanting to convert it into a single speed and I have a few specific questions, that I couldn't answer on Sheldon Browns site, or by searching this site, and the net in general.

Firstly, I am replacing the bottom bracket along with the crankset and pedals. And putting new wheels on, with a flip-flop rear wheel so I can give fixed gear and free spool a go to see what I like better. Link to ebay sale of the wheels I am keen on
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Track-Fixie-Free ... ling_Parts
I ride mostly on flat surfaces.

So, when replacing the BB how do I know if the BB I order online will fit into the frame of the bike?
The BB I removed is a Shimano, and only has the following written on it: Shimano 03=W=113 Japan VIA D-3H PC. The section of the frame it slots into has the code C1077646 stamped onto it. No idea what this means. The diameter of the part of the frame it fits into has an internal diameter of 35mm, and a width of 67-68mm, as measured by my ruler. It is a tapered square type.

I am keen to buy the crankset and pedals from the same place I get the BB from, and I have read different things about matching a BB to a single speed crankset but didn't quite understand it.

So what would you guys recommend as a decent BB and crankset to get for a first rebuild for a single speed bike?

Also, it needs to match my planned wheels. Size 700 track fixie flip flop wheel set.

Next question (cheers for hanging in there) is how to know if my planned wheels will even fit the frame?
The distance measured, as per Sheldons diagram, is 125mm at the rear, and 103mm at the front.
How close do these need to be to the measurements on the ebay ad page?
Rear hub spec reads: M10x130x140
Front hub spec reads: M10x100x108

All the other parts on the bike I am happy with, and will sand, clean, and figure out what to do with them once I have the above parts chosen, and ordered.

Cheers in advance for any help,

Murdoch

yehuda

Re: Repco Rebuild

Postby yehuda » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:50 am

If in Melbourne, you could go to pony bikes, get the bb sorted for $40. And installed very cheaply. I don't know what price you are paying for your stuff, but I'd recommend buy local and get it done right, first time.

Murdoch

Postby Murdoch » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Cheers Yehuda,

I am in Bundaberg, QLD, and the options aren't great, so was thinking online would be best.
Will head down to the local bike shop later this week, as see if they can be helpful.

Murdoch

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Ahh, ok. Yeah not alot of options up there I wouldn't think.

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:18 pm

personally I'd say don't go with those cheap stars wheelsets. from all reports they're just plain awful and will break soon after you buy them. for something of reasonable value you can usually find a weinmann deepv rim/formula hub set from american sellers on ebay for around $230 delivered. you can also find a good old second hand set of road cranks, and just use the inside chainring. they'll usually be better quality than a new set for the same price.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Stovepipe wrote:you can also find a good old second hand set of road cranks, and just use the inside chainring. they'll usually be better quality than a new set for the same price.
Yeah, I bought a pair Sugino Alloy cranks (110bcd double) for $1 on ebay (plus $6 postage!)
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:03 pm

I also bought the same wheelset as u, but hvn't been arrive yet. And i hv heard and received many opinions that this wheelset are not good, but there also hv a few postive comments. Anyway, try first. good luck to two of us.
I am willing to see your bike, is there any processing pics can be view?

Murdoch

Postby Murdoch » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Cheers for the feedback,

After hearing your reviews of the wheelset I was planning, and reading others, I am going to go with a slightly better set.
Still Quando hubs (flip flop type), and only about $40 more, but have stonger rims, that don't have reinforcing bracets on the spokes.

So, now I have my wheels picked, I have calculated the rear chainline distance to be 42mm.
From what I have read, that means that the bottom bracket and crankset needs to put the single speed sprocket at 42mm from the centre of the frame.
I have been told by Cecil Walker Shop that the UN-26 bottom bracket will fit, but it comes in different lengths, and I can't work out which one will fit the rear chainline best.

So, for a 42mm rear chainline distance, will the 110, 113, 115, 118, or 122 option be best?
Can someone explain how to calculate Chainline from these measurements? What do they mean?
It is available from the following website, and I plan on getting the Chainring, and Cranks from the same site.
http://abbotsfordcycles.com.au/public/c ... ew/83/105/

Cheers again,
Murdoch

sbc_runnerkit

Postby sbc_runnerkit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Murdoch wrote:Cheers for the feedback,

After hearing your reviews of the wheelset I was planning, and reading others, I am going to go with a slightly better set.
Still Quando hubs (flip flop type), and only about $40 more, but have stonger rims, that don't have reinforcing bracets on the spokes.

So, now I have my wheels picked, I have calculated the rear chainline distance to be 42mm.
From what I have read, that means that the bottom bracket and crankset needs to put the single speed sprocket at 42mm from the centre of the frame.
I have been told by Cecil Walker Shop that the UN-26 bottom bracket will fit, but it comes in different lengths, and I can't work out which one will fit the rear chainline best.

So, for a 42mm rear chainline distance, will the 110, 113, 115, 118, or 122 option be best?
Can someone explain how to calculate Chainline from these measurements? What do they mean?
It is available from the following website, and I plan on getting the Chainring, and Cranks from the same site.
http://abbotsfordcycles.com.au/public/c ... ew/83/105/

Cheers again,
Murdoch
So wt the wheelset looks like, can u upload the pics, i want to hv a look, and wt would u do to the star wheelset, sell it??

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:02 pm

My girl rides stars wheels. They are perfectly fine for her, so if you don't plan on thrashing them, or commuting day in day out in all kinds of weather, then I think they will be fine. That said, I would never use them myself...

Murdoch

Postby Murdoch » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:51 pm

Runnerkit, I don't have a camera at present, or at least a working one, so no photos can be taken for a while.
It's a shame, but won't get progress photos for this reason.

Yehunda, cheers for a positive report on the wheels.
Going to go with the slightly better ones, but still cheapies.
Also, getting the UN-26 bottom bracket, and a cheap crankset, so will just have to replace as things break.
Will at least continue the education.

Murdoch

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:15 am

So, when replacing the BB how do I know if the BB I order online will fit into the frame of the bike?
The BB I removed is a Shimano, and only has the following written on it: Shimano 03=W=113 Japan VIA D-3H PC. The section of the frame it slots into has the code C1077646 stamped onto it. No idea what this means. The diameter of the part of the frame it fits into has an internal diameter of 35mm, and a width of 67-68mm, as measured by my ruler. It is a tapered square type.

The 113, is the length of the spindle`s total length, the 3H confirms the 113mm total length and the 3 in the 3H meaning 68mm bb width.

Assuming the bike was fitted with double front chain rings? this bb would give you a 43.5mm chain line,i think that what you need, is to reduce the spindle length 0.75mm per side, this is not poosible as the sizing runs-110 or 113.The easiest option would be to find a .75 mm washer and place it on the non drive side or dont worry about it.Im sure the critics will soon point out things if im wrong
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

Murdoch

Postby Murdoch » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Cheers Blu Fz,

The rear chainline is 42mm, and I found a crankset on Ebay that had a stated chainline of 42.5mm with a 116 spindle length BB.
The 68mm width seems to be a pretty standard cartridge diameter, and have been told that most of the Shimano BB will fit, but balancing the different spindle lengths comes down to desired chainline and that depends on the cranset combo.

So with the cranset I have ordered, I also ordered a Shimano UN-54 BB with a 115mm spindle length (1mm off can't be that much of an issue).
This should match the wheelset I got nicely.

Also, cheers for the clarification of the original BB markings.

Murdoch

recicleta

Postby recicleta » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:55 am

hi murdoch
I hope you have found a solution for your chainline problem.
The spindle you took off, engraved D-3H would be a great help to fine tune the chainline in my commuting bike. It is hard to find spare part.
Would you sell it to me?. Would you send it to my home in Spain?.

Thank you.