looking for new work horse

nimbin hippy

looking for new work horse

Postby nimbin hippy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Gday every one,ive been droping in regular for a while now. Iam now on the hunt for a new work horse/commuter and looking for some advise. My giant duel has died due too cracks in the frame and ive been riding a very old shogun mtb too work. Ive been looking at the kona sutra for $1500 and a fuji basic for a $1400. I ride on country roads in all seasons day and nights.Looking for pro and cons and alternatives. cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: looking for new work horse

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 pm

G'Day Hippy, welcome outside :)

A big thumbs up for Konas workhorse line from me, I commute on a Dew Drop and after some tweaking ('cos I could :wink: ), mudguards and subbing the tyres for something more suited for pavement I couldn't be happier.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:01 pm

I'd usually say go with the Kona, but since you're riding country roads which can be pretty rough and you previously cracked a frame, I'm not so sure. Maybe doing up your old MTB could be a good option. If not, then maybe consider a CrMo framed bike with a bit more flex in the frame and less likely to crack.

Out of your price range, but I built up a Surly Cross Check CrMo frame.

nimbin hippy

Postby nimbin hippy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks bill thats the way ive been thinking. Wow nobody thats a sweet looking ride mate,whats the damage on a build like that?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:54 pm

Kona Sutra is butted cromo and seeing as they started out building strong as tomorrows chili farts MTBs I don't think there'd be problems.
The Surly is gorgeous tho'.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 am

Mulger bill wrote:Kona Sutra is butted cromo and seeing as they started out building strong as tomorrows chili farts MTBs I don't think there'd be problems.
Sorry MB. :oops:
Obviously I was thinking Al, which still should last a long time. Even so I prefer the CrMo ride. :)
http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=sutra

Yeah, I should have got one of them. Would have been much cheaper.

Mulger bill wrote:The Surly is gorgeous tho'.
Thanks MB. It should look OK, since it was modeled off your bike. :D

nimbin hippy wrote:...whats the damage on a build like that?
Thanks. Too much. About $2500. But I got exactly what I wanted and I learnt a thing or two along the way. :)

nimbin hippy

Postby nimbin hippy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks guys just love both bikes. Road bike or mtb chain ring? I live in an area with some big hills but i enjoy them. What brand of mudguards are they? Ive spotted the kona dew for about $1300 is that normal or could you suggest any were else too look? Cheers

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:06 pm

try http://tbsm.com.au. They often have runouts on the kinds of bike you are looking at. For ex they have the Kona 2009 Honky Tonk for $1,124.95 but only in size 53cm :roll:

I was pretty impressed with the Fuji when I was looking for a commuter/touring bike last year. The only reason I didn't get one is I managed to pick up a Masi for < 1k. If you look on http://www.bikeexchange.com.au you will see they have Fuji Touring (2009) starting at $1,095.
<removed by request>

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:22 pm

I do OK on the hills with a Tiagra 3x9, but thems my hills not yours. Don't see why you couldn't run a MTB cluster if you need a really low gear.

The mudguards on my lad are Zefal Paragons from wiggle.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Nobody :D
Now if the Sutra came as a bare frameset....
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 pm

nimbin hippy wrote:Thanks guys just love both bikes. Road bike or mtb chain ring? I live in an area with some big hills but i enjoy them.
Depends on how much you stand up on hills and how long they are steep for. But I wouldn't go to a MTB crankset as they are 22/32/44 and 22 is just too low for a road bike if your cassette is big enough. I'd go with either a triple as per MB or a compact as I have. 30 is the smallest chainring on the triple and 34 for the compact. Not much in it really. Many MTBers use 1 X 9 setups using anything from 30 to 36 chainrings. As MB said, if you get a MTB cassette and use that with a compact, that is 1:1 ratio, or ~2.1m, or ~26.8" gearing. Even lower for the triple.
nimbin hippy wrote:What brand of mudguards are they?
Mine are Planet Bike Cascadia. I got them from AEBike.

nimbin hippy

Postby nimbin hippy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks guys with all the info ill let you know how i go! But ive got too stop looking at the picture of nobody's surly its beautiful.