Fernleigh cycling track

breezer1

Fernleigh cycling track

Postby breezer1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:30 pm

hi,today i went from jewells along redhead road,picked up the fernleigh track to whitebridge,met a guy there and we decided to ride to adamstown,then to broadmeadow,tighes hill onto cycle track at throsby creek up to nobby's then back home to jewells via fernleigh then road,was a great ride and the day was sunny,a pleasure ride,i just put new 700x28 michelin city tyres on my bike (a giant cypress) + new tubes,much better than the 700x40 original tyres,wow did the bike perform better than the semi knobblies it came with.i could climb heaps better and much faster on the flat sections.looks like there predicting the section of fernleigh from redhead to jewells will be finished at the end of this month,will be great as i live one street from the track at jewells so it will make it easier than battling the traffic around jewells on redhead road....no room for bikes and cars/trucks on that section of road!

gorilla monsoon

Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:24 pm

How long will the track be in total with the extension open?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

justD

Postby justD » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:41 pm

ah man, the Frenleigh track is a treasure - especially on a Sunday morning ride. I'm planning on moving soon and thinking of looking for a place somewhere up there by Redhead or your area just to make this part of my daily commute.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:01 pm

The track from adamstown to belmont when finished will be 15 klm

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Rode the Fernleigh track a few weeks ago for the first time, wanted a safe easy ride for my newbie wife. Was impressed by how well maintained it is, no glass, sticks etc.

Would be interested to get some route info/maps for extending our ride to Nobbies next time.

Thanks
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 am

Nobbys is easy.

I use the following route, its flat the whole way into Nobbys. Only bit of traffic is when you hit the pacific highway, but there'a a nice wide shoulder in that part there, and potentially only slightly dodgy bit is getting across to the right lane after the railway line to turn right into Honeysuckle Drive (but you can use the pedestrian lights to cross if you want). I've also added in after you hit Nobbys an extension, going around Newcastle Beach, up through King Edward Park, down and around Bar Beach/Merewether, and eventually back to the Fernleigh Track. A really nice ride and all fairly low traffic and minimal stopping. King Edward Park and Yule Road are some killer hills... Memorial Drive (after King Edward) is a nice reward though, you absolutely fly down there.

I used to do that ride + the Fernleigh track a few times a week in the mornings and never got sick of it... think its about 43km or so now, and i imagine about 50km once you add in the new part of the track to Jewells.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3989644

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 pm

So 15km Adamstown to Belmont? Means a 30km round trip. That's a nice way to relax on a Saturday afternoon.

Is the extension open yet? I thought it was supposed to be open at the start of August but then I was told it had been pushed back to mid-August.

I can't ride for another week or 10 days (new tattoo and the tattooist doesn't want any perspiration getting into it) so that might be a good ride to come back on.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks for the info Evetsllub.

My wife isn't confident riding on busy roads just yet and can only manage shortish rides so far, 20klm or so. She was a little tired after riding the Fernleigh both ways a few weeks ago but that was only her second ride. Having said that, a nice lunch on the foreshore should be enough encouragement for her to ride a bit further.

Cheers
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:13 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:So 15km Adamstown to Belmont? Means a 30km round trip. That's a nice way to relax on a Saturday afternoon.

Is the extension open yet? I thought it was supposed to be open at the start of August but then I was told it had been pushed back to mid-August.

I can't ride for another week or 10 days (new tattoo and the tattooist doesn't want any perspiration getting into it) so that might be a good ride to come back on.
redhead to jewells won't be long,i seen today they were putting up the wire on the fences at the jewells end :D

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:41 pm

to newcastle....at the end of fernleigh track adamstown follow park ave,left across train track into st james rd,right to kings rd,right newtown rd,right to lambton rd,left curly st,right broadmeadow rd,left brown rd/chathom st follow this road across griffith road straight ahead to right at clyde st,then right into chinchen,left hubbard...across maitland rd,cycle track starts islington park via throsby creek to nobby's,and return same way,a very flat easy ride,hope you can understand these directions but a quick look on a map will make this easy to follow. :wink:

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 pm

just an update on the fernleigh track,the section from redhead to jewells had the final smooth tar layed today,so expecting it will be open to public by the weekending!,the section from jewells to belmont is to start in 2 weeks,as told by a few workers that i was speaking to yesterday. :D

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I had a brilliant idea this morning! Lake Macquarie Council and Newcastle City Council should build a nice big lock-up at either end of Fernleigh Track so regular riders can leave their bikes there rather than cart them there whenever they want to ride (note that I am thinking primarily of myself and the loading and unloading to get them to the track from Warners Bay).

I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks a week for that. It might even make us more sociable.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi Guys. Is the Jewels section open yet? If so where can I get on at the start, I'm not familiar with the area.

Thanks
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:29 pm

CJ, my understanding is that the Jewells section is now open but I don't know the access point at that end. I'd suggest starting at Adamstown or Whitebridge and riding to Jewells to actually suss it out. The Jewells - Belmont section is set to be finished by the end of the year, apparently.

Then they can start work on my sheds!

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:16 pm

no the jewells/redhead section is not open,they are saying 2 weeks before it may be finished,the entry to jewells section is at the end of wommera ave/kalaroo rd there is a big new carpark there,the jewells to belmont section was cleared yesterday and the first loads of gravel base is on order for monday,this was info i got from the project manager at the jewells end yesterday!

http://www.whereis.com/nsw/belmont/trac ... B46457F6B4

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:34 am

Hi guys. Any updates on new sections being opened?

Thanks
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 am

Sorry CJ, I got nothing. I'm just back from two weeks in Europe and it's Bathurst 1000 weekend so I haven't ventured out. Maybe next weekend.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:02 pm

update on fernleigh track from jewells to redhead,"still not open" :shock: :oops: ,was talking to a worker on the track today....the track looks totally finished,all lines and fences,smooth tared all done,many people using it but work barracades still up at redhead and jewells end!,but everyone is just lifting their bikes over a 1/2 metre gaurd rail at jewells and riding!the worker stated today that the track was supposed to have been finished last week,so i don't really know if they are going to open it soon or wait for some official opening,all i can say is hurry up before someone is killed using the road from jewells to redhead especially around near the swamp bend! :twisted:

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:34 pm

breezer1 wrote:update on fernleigh track from jewells to redhead,"still not open" :shock: :oops: ,was talking to a worker on the track today....the track looks totally finished,all lines and fences,smooth tared all done,many people using it but work barracades still up at redhead and jewells end!,but everyone is just lifting their bikes over a 1/2 metre gaurd rail at jewells and riding!the worker stated today that the track was supposed to have been finished last week,so i don't really know if they are going to open it soon or wait for some official opening,all i can say is hurry up before someone is killed using the road from jewells to redhead especially around near the swamp bend! :twisted:
I rode fernleigh out to belment north about 2 weeks ago, tried again today but was stopped around readhead by work trucks with the emergency tape out. Thinking next time I'll just ride along the road a bit and jump the barrier when I can - the track is finished all the way out to Belmont.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Hmm, not sure who the local MP is up their but if it's ALP then maybe they're holding off the opening until just before the state election in an attempt to grab a few more desperately needed votes. In that case I hope Kristina Keneally is at the opening wearing her lyrca :-P
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:14 pm

redhead to jewells is not opened :twisted: ,and jewells to belmont won't be open till christmas :? ,if you rode to belmont from jewells it would be on a mtb and battling soft sand :roll: ,it is nowhere near finished and if it is like redhead to jewells....probably will never be finished :oops: :cry: :twisted:

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:25 pm

ah ok, thought I was in belmont when i hit that dirt road. But yeah, will be a great ride once they open it all the way - should be out riding it this weekend :wink:

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:50 pm

yeah,you were at jewells end,from there the track will go to behind the belmont tech,railway street i think!,what are you riding bingis and what suburb are you at,i'm on the cycleway everyday! :)i sometimes ride to newcastle or i go towards swansea,depends on which way the wind is blowing 8) .... i live at jewells only 2 streets away from jewells entry to track!

Bingis

Postby Bingis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 am

breezer1 wrote:yeah,you were at jewells end,from there the track will go to behind the belmont tech,railway street i think!,what are you riding bingis and what suburb are you at,i'm on the cycleway everyday! :)i sometimes ride to newcastle or i go towards swansea,depends on which way the wind is blowing 8) .... i live at jewells only 2 streets away from jewells entry to track!
I ride from Mayfield, was riding a 22 year old malvern star single speed until last week (hilux pulled out in front of me) and now I'm getting about on a SE Bikes Lager (single speed too). I've probably passed you a few times :wink: Usually I do a run out to the end of the track then back into Newcastle and hit up my housemates coffee shop on Crown St.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:44 am

GOOD NEWS THE REDHEAD TO JEWELLS SECTION IS "OPEN TO PUBLIC"AS FROM 10 AM TODAY,THE SITE MANAGER AND COUNCIL INSPECTOR SIGNED OFF AS I WAS COMING BACK FROM ADAMSTOWN.ALL GATES HAVE BEEN REMOVED